Author Topic: braid ?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline salty pig

• the pig
braid ?
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »
Would you guys use braid on  your striper reels?? i put it on the fluke reels and love it but not sure if i should try it on the striper reel...... What you think?
'

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
Re: braid ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
All reels!!! You can top shot with mono or floro leader.  t^

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
ok now your getting  difficult on me  no clue what that is LOL
'

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
You can have your reel loaded with braid then have whats called a "topshot" of a good quality mono.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
What kinda braid, and what length and test top shot are you using?
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
I use it on my spinning reels and would never go back to mono for the shore and surf fishing I do.  I do use a mono shock leader/top shot as well.  If you like braid, you will like it on your striper setups as well ;D!

TT^

Offline striper74

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
While you guys are on the subject of braid, is there a simple way to splice your braid and mono together?  I want to put new braid on my Fluke reels, and I recall last time I had a real tough time tying the reccomended knot.  I had found several online, but the illustrations were tough to follow.  5hrug
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
Uni to uni is probably the quickest to tie.  Good knot, just sometimes comes out a lil bulky depending on thicknes of leader.

I like the slim beauty knot, doubled version:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/knots/slim_beauty.aspx

I love Fireline(not technically a braid, but a superline) for 99.9% of my fishing, from spinning to conventional,and from boat or land. TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »
Power Pro for me, braid for anything and everything.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
While you guys are on the subject of braid, is there a simple way to splice your braid and mono together?  I want to put new braid on my Fluke reels, and I recall last time I had a real tough time tying the reccomended knot.  I had found several online, but the illustrations were tough to follow.  5hrug
quit playing with those fluke reels,going to try for the striped ones tomorrow morning,you in? 5hrug
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline striper74

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Nah, can't go tomorrow....  Mama's working, Ill be home with the kids. :'(
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline striper74

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
Gottog, thanks for the uniknot link.  I don't remember what knot I used last time, just that it took me about 20 tries to get it right! rgmn

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
Uni to uni can be found easily online. I go to that when I really need to just get it tied quickly.  usually 3 wraps of the mono(40# test+) and 6-7 wraps on the braid/Fireline.

The slim beauty link I just put up is quick, easy, small, and strong.

The pool winner on my last tog trip was caught on a rig I tied for the guy.  He was using braid to a swivel and then a short mono leader from that.  I tied the slim beauty in about a minute and rigged him up. Knot went through the guides AND his levelwind without a problem.  Was happy it held up to the 10lb fish as well t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline PHIL

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
Braid, braid, braid. With a Flourocarbon leader. Bass, Fluke, etc.  No stretch. better hook set.  grtn t^ chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »

I've used the uni-to-uni and others.  I used this knot, that Darth Baiter posted, throughout this past fall.  It worked very well for me.  t^

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=7951.0

I would like to try that slim beauty knot this season as well.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
I like and use the braid,however I have a load of Berkley Mono that I have been using up and changing line freguently. I also use the mono as backing. I think this year I will give the kids around the docks, and surf the mono and stuff, as gifts, to keep em going.Its cool to see them ride their bike with their fishing pole and pails.,brings back some nice memories. t^ t^ 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-