Author Topic: Herring  (Read 1939 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Herring
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
I hear that live Herring are a good bait to use in the Mullica River in the spring.

I live pretty close to Round Valley and the bait shop usually has herring in the spring. Does anyone know if these would most likely be the same species that lives in salt/brackish water? Would the die if put in salt water?

I was thinking of getting a large aerated bait bucket and buying herring up here the night before and tranporting them to use in the Mulica.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Herring
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
A lot of guys catch herring in the Delaware River and transport them to the shore in a bait tank in their pick up truck to use for stripers.

You do need a large enough tank to carry the amount of herring you will be transporting. You also need a good pump to keep the water oxygenated.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »
I think that answers my question. I asked the guy at the bait shop where the herring come from and he said thay're netted from the Delaware. Thanks.

I figured I'd get one of those big bait buckets with the built in aerator. I know from my days of fishing Round Valley that herring need a lot of room because if they rub up against each other they'll die. I figure a 5-6 gallon bucket will hold a dozen....

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »
The herring used for striped bass in shore area waters are 11-13" long. Not sure what type of herring but not the same as Round Valley herring. I use a 60 gallon live well with lots of airation to transport them. They are very fragil. There are herring to be caught in many areas around NJ. The Delaware has probably the best population. I don't know for sure but I don't believe they are for sale anywhere except maybe privately.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
I've caught herring in the winter in the salt and I know the ones used at round valley are a different type. If I'm not mistaken, Blueback Herring are the ones we get in the winter.

Never having seen one from the Delaware, I was thinking maybe they're juveniles of the same type that runs up the Delaware...I think they are called Alewive herring...Not to be confused with what they call Alewives in MD...we call them Bunker.

There's a lot of different types of herring...gets confusing ???

Thanks for the info.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-