Author Topic: The JCAA Captain's Dilemma  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

The JCAA Captain's Dilemma
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:30:37 PM »
As a Captain and guide there is no more trying time than a tournament. Well, maybe if it is the first tournament of the year. Charters are booked way in advance. New equipment is at the ready. Now, all we have to do is find one (1) trophy fish. Well, it turns out in this weeks 13th Annual JCAA Fluke Tournament, roughly 1,000 boats are looking for that same fish. Add to that the normal recreational, charter and party boats not in the tournament as well. To make it more daunting, the season is about two (2) weeks old but no one has told the doormats that it is time to bite. Sure, there have been some nice fish weighed in, but there is no accumulation of large fish in the tried and true areas.

So, with some acceptable weather, where do you go to claim your prize?

I run out of the Manasquan and Barnegat Inlets so I am able to address the Raritan/Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet areas more professionally. The key to finding any fish is bait, structure, water conditions (i.e. temperature and clarity), and some luck. The best chance to catch a doormat in our zone centers around Raritan/Sandy Hook Bays. This area has all the ingredients for success. Also, there have already been some nice reports of fish in the area; there is bait; and there is history. The conditions seem acceptable for tomorrow. So if you can fight through all the other boaters, you will at least put a decent catch together.

The next likely ocean alternatives are the stretch between Elberon and Monmouth beach. Some folks will be fishing the Shrewsbury rocks but I tend to fish more inshore of that area, especially this time of year when many folks are trying to troll up Stripers. I have fished the Elberon to Monmouth stretch. In this area, spearing, minnows/killes, and squid will work. There are two issues. One is that there will be many boats in this area. The second is that is must be fished in shallow water (20-40 ft.). You will undoubtedly have to sift through many shorts to try to get the elusive trophy.

Traditionally, I would be fishing the lumps off Spring Lake. To those people, they will have to luck into a fish. There is no accumulation of fish on these spots yet. Likewise, the Sea Girt, Axel Carleson and Barnegat Reefs are the same.

For those thinking offshore, they will try the Shark River Reef and the Manasquan Ridge. Normally, these are both reasonable. However, I have not heard anything being caught besides ling and Sea Bass. Someone may get lucky there though, if they can get through the dogfish. The water is warming and maybe they will lay low.

The shallows from Pt. Pleasant to Barnegat Inlet hold many shorts. I have not seen many people working these areas. I have “gone south” the past few years and have nothing to show for it.

Local sharpies will be hitting the Shark and Manasquan Rivers. These are known producing areas and many winners have been taken in these bodies of water. However, I for one to not want to get blasted by the wake of weekend boats all day. For those that fish there, you earn and deserve all awards for your fortitude.

I plan on fishing the Elberon to Monmouth Beach stretch. I think there is plenty of water and fish to cull through. There will be action at least. I do not know if the big one is there. One thing I do know is that you cannot give up on your plan. I will use every available live, dead and artificial bait; bucktail; and jig until I am convinced an area is not for me. I guess the old adage, “Don’t leave fish to find fish,” should be engrained in my head. Let’s see in the middle of a tournament a can live by those words.

To all in the tournament, I wish good luck and sportsmanship. I hope all return safely and more importantly have fun! The great thing about this tournament is that there is a second chance to win something in Atlantic City next week. Maybe a nice rod and reel from our sponsor Pell’s or an 18 ft. boat.

Have fun and catch ‘em up!

Capt. Ed 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:33:29 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: The JCAA Captain's Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »
Well said Capt Ed TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
 t^
I will undoubtable see you on the water.  Keep an eye out for Irish Ayes.  I monitor channel 10 and 16 all day long. 

If anyone needs a report of what I am doing and/or where, ring me up on channel 10.  I am more than willing to share any info I have.

Good luck to all in the tourney.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:14:23 PM »
Hi Joe,

I will shout you out on 10 if anything transpires. I will print the "Contact List" out if anyone else is on the water.

Good luck! If nothing else, I am buying the drinks down at Trumps!

All the best folks,

Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:17:39 PM »
Sounds good to me Capt Ed.  I only missed the awards thing one time.  My daughter graduated high school the same night and I wasn't about to miss that.  I couldn't talk the JCAA committee or the school into changing the dates.  hehe. 

Good luck tomorrow.  I hope to see you on the water.  What boat will you be in?  I will be in the boat that in my signature on here.  Irish Ayes 25 Parker Sportcabin.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
May the wind be at your back, fish be on your hook, and safety be on your boat.  Bring home a winner guys t^

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-