Author Topic: lost anchor  (Read 3648 times)

Offline NEWF

lost anchor
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:48:20 PM »
Has anyone ever lost an anchor? I was in the mouth of the wading river drop anchor was going to do a little crabbing with my daughter and 4year old grandson, not the best place i guess but quite and it was his first time out on the boat.I tried to power up the boat to maybe break free no good just had to cut an run.A couple of guys I talked to said it was only in ten ft water should have gone in tried to break it loose.Not a strong swimmer and tide was just comming in did thing that was best option with a 4 year old on the boat. 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: lost anchor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »
I don't see going into the water in your scenario as an option. Smart move you made to abandon the anchor and some rode. Do you have a GPS aboard? If so, you may have wanted to mark the spot and come back at a later date to try to retrieve the anchor.

I have lost plenty of anchors in the rough stuff, both fluke type anchors and wreck anchors.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:38 PM »
Yea.. I wouldn't have went in for it. Maybe invest in an Anchor Ball.

Not sure how well this works in shallow water
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:59:35 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »
Good info Rod!

The few times I have been on a boat as a kid and teenager, my uncle and father both lost a couple of anchors more than once.  They are all still at rest in the sea somewhere.

Definitely a smart move not to go in for it.  Way too many factors to worry about and problems to occur.

TT^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
I try to ensure the anchor sets itself, I'll throw an second anchor if need be before "power setting" it by reversing the boat like is normally prescribed.

I know, I know, the hook is more likely to come undone by not powering it in, but it is also more likely to come undone when you need/want it to. Naturally you need to keep a sharp anchor watch. Many GPSs have an anchor alarm that sounds if the boat moves more than whatever distance is preset; I think my Garmin does but have not used it yet.

IMO a MOB for a stuck anchor in that situation is just SCARY....

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:07 AM »
I used the anchor ball and it works great, no need to drive as fast as he was though.  Once the anchor pops, it floats to the top.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:57:54 PM »
I used the anchor ball and it works great, no need to drive as fast as he was though.  Once the anchor pops, it floats to the top.

I was thinking the same thing. I never had to run that fast.
Mark

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
def no need to drive that fast

not a good way to pick up your anchor!

If it got hung in the wreck it woiuld KILL that kid or rip the cleat /bow off his boat...

Offline dreamsfloatjoe

• Bait Cutter
  • Bait Cutter
    • Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
Has anyone ever lost an anchor? ...
   grtn  I'm very happy to report I have left more than one anchor as an artificial reef.  This is the why, if I remember correctly, for the old adage that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water or is it 10% of the fish are in 90% of the water, dang it, rememberer is broken.   rofla  Yes, I keep a second anchor aboard.  Cut an run was your best option, all people considered, IMHO.   t^

DreamsFloat Joe - Mate
M/V Ye Ole Pirate, Anchors Aweigh Charters, Inc.
Fernandina Beach Harbor Marina, Amelia Island, Florida  32034  USA

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-