Author Topic: Naming a boat  (Read 2567 times)

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
Naming a boat
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
I bought a boat last fall and it doesnt have a name.  I was going to name it.  What do i need to do to do this?  Who do i need to contact to see if the name has been used and to inform them that my vessel now has been named?

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline Jeffish

Re: Naming a boat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
1. How do I remove the old vinyl name?
    There are several methods for removing vinyl names.
     In order to remove the existing vinyl name and hailing port without damaging the gel coat you'll need a hand-held hair dryer and a plastic ice scraper. DO NOT USE a METAL scraper. Hold the hair dryer about 6" from the surface and set to the low heat setting. Slowly move the nozzle of the hair dryer back and forth while gently lifting the edge of the vinyl by applying only light pressure. The heat from the dryer softens the vinyl but if too much heat is applied, the vinyl will melt and leave a scorch mark on the gel coat.

2. What is the difference between documented and registered vessels?

An undocumented vessel (registered) is registered by the DMV and does not have a marine certificate issued by the U.S. Coast Guard. Registration fees vary from state to state.

A documented vessel is registered and issued a marine certificate by the U.S. Coast Guard. It does not require DMV registration. See # 13 below for fees.

3. What special markings must a documented vessel have?

1. The official number, preceded by the abbreviation "NO" will be marked by some permanent method on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number shall be in block-type arabic numerals not less than three (3) inches in height.
   2. Pleasure vessels will have the name and hailing port of the vessel marked together in clearly legible letters not less than four (4) inches in height on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
   3. Other vessels will have the name of the vessel marked in clearly legible letters not less than four (4) inches in height on some clearly visible exterior part of the port and starboard bow, and the stern of the vessel. The hailing port of the vessel shall be similarly marked on the stern of the vessel.
   4. The means and materials used to display the name and hailing port shall result in durable markings. A board attached to the vessel with the name and hailing port marked on it is NOT an acceptable marking.

4. What size does the hailing port have to be?
     Only documented vessels have size requirements for hailing ports.
      See # 2 for more  information re documentation requirements.

5. What Are the Regulations for the Vessel Registration Number?

The vessel registration number must be displayed as follows:

* Painted on or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel.
    * Be in plain vertical block characters of not less than 3- inches in height.
    * Be arranged so that it it reads from left to right.
    * Contrast with the color of the background so that it is distinctly visible and legible.
    * Have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than "I" or a number other than "1" between the prefix and the number, and the number and the suffix.

6. Can I use any font I like ?
    For registration #s the font must be block-type lettering.
     For boat name and hailing port you can use any font you like.

7. How long will the vinyl name last?
    Standard vinyl has a 5-7 year warranty. Metallics usually have 3-5 years.

8. Why doesn't the vinyl color match the existing vinyl on the boat?
     The sun and elements have faded the color.

9. Can I name my boat anything I want?
      The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. The name does NOT have to be unique.

10. Can I use a name that someone else has used?
      Yes, the name can be used , even if used on another vessel.

11. How difficult is it to apply the name?
      Applying your vinyl graphics is simple if you follow some basic guidelines.
      The boat names generally come in one piece and are sandwiched between a paper layer of transfer tape and a wax layer of backing.

12. My vessel is documented. Where do I put the numbers?
      The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO."  must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least 3-inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

13. Are there any fees associated with documenting a vessel?
      Yes. There are fees associated with the original documentation and documentation surrender and/or replacement. They are:

When marine documentation is issued to a yacht, the owner shall pay a fee of $100.
      When marine documentation is replaced, the owner shall pay a fee of $50.
      When the owner of a vessel has used parts of an existing vessel in construction of that vessel and requests a determination that the vessel is new, he shall pay a fee of $200.
      There is no fee for renewal of a vessel's documentation.

http://www.southshoreyachtsigns.com

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:51:26 PM by jeffibew »

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
Thanks.  To go futher with this, I have registered the boat with the DMV and have been given a tag for 2009 ( I will get one for 2010 in March)  Now do i need to contact the coast guard to get the board named and documented correctly?  Once I name the boat do I need to go back to the DMV and let them know it has been named?  The boat already has identifying numbers on the port and starboard front of the boat.  I would just like to name it now before I put if back in the water for 2010.  Thanks for the info.

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
I don't think you need to do anything with the name.  but put it on your boat  t^

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
Quote from: jeffibew
9. Can I name my boat anything I want?
      The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. The name does NOT have to be unique.

As long as you follow that, you can name it anything you'd like. You have to do all your documentation, but as far as the name goes, it doesn't matter as long as you stick to the above.

To quote a wise man. "You can't name your boat May Day", or anything that can possibly be mistaken for it.

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
Hotrod is actually right.  I checked out the U.S.C.G. main page.  If i wanted it ACTUALLY documented, I have to go though the first reply to my question.  If I just want to name my boat, I just but the name on her and be done with it.  I am just wondering, if i plan on fishing locally around here, not further then 10-15 miles off shore, should i go though the paper work, hassle, and extra $$$ to document here when she is never leaving the U.S.  I  am thinking the DMV registration is enough for now.   Any thoughts?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
the DMV registration is enough for now t^

And if you come here

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=15031.0

you could win a free one t^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:25:09 PM by Hotrod »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
No need to do anything with the Coast Guard as far as name or documentation.

If you have the boat registered with DMV you are good to go.

There are no regs for naming a boat. The boat name does not have to be registered with any body.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
If the boat was previously registered in New Jersey you will be issued the same registration number. The numbers stay with the boat, unlike a motor vehicle which is registered to the owner.

When you put the yearly decal on it goes toward the stern of the boat. That means that it will be after the numbers on the port side and before the numbers on the starboard side.

The numbers, by regulations, have to be at least three inches in height. There shall be a space between the state ID (the NJ in the registration) and the numbers in the registration. There shall also be a space between the last number and the letters at the end of the registration. The space should be approximately the same spacing as the size of the letters and numbers. Thus, it should look like this........NJ 1234 AB.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-