Author Topic: Time to Help those that Help us  (Read 8442 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Time to Help those that Help us
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »
I recently received this email from another site were working on..  at first Yea.. SCAM.  but I took the time to research it and everything pans out. Including His IP he sent the mail from
address and email address.

These guys are real and asking for our help. With no luck from anyone!

Hi my name is john Addison jones, I am from Jacksonville florida I am a corporal in the United States Marine Corps, I am currently deployed to Haiti to perform relief efforts for the people of the Nation of Haiti.  A couple of guys including myself, here aboard the USS Bataan love to saltwater fish! But have not been able to do so due to our current situation , we have tried writing a couple of other franchises to see if we could get some help with our problem.  We have been here since Jan.18th and have not had anyone write us back yet, we were wondering if at anyway possible you could donate some broken, used or new fishing gear to help pass the time and relieve some stress. If so, I can send you the mailing address for the USS Bataan.  It would be greatly appreciated by the Marines  from HMH-461 airframes shop! Thank you for you time.

Sincerely,
                     John A. Jones USMC

More Info from our conversation

Yes sir I completely understand about the whole "SCAM" but I promise this is not one and we will send anything to prove that it is not one! The address for the boat is:

ACE 461
22d MEU DET UNIT A
74040 FPO AE
09502-4040
Thank you for you time! John A. Jones USMC

And another email

We are two to three miles off the coast of Port Au Prince, Haiti, in about 1200 ft of water.  We are in the Caribbean Sea; but we are not sure what's out there.  We have made some hooks and lures out of helicopter parts, but we haven’t had any luck yet.  Other than what we made we don’t have anything.  We were sent out here on a two day notice, and set to return on Feb. 15th, but we just got extended to the end of April.  We didn’t have enough time to think about anything but helicopters.  Anything you all could send would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Cpl John A. Jones

I have a couple Penn top reelers and will pack them up with some line and metal jigs.  I would think they could get into some Tuna or Mahi out there..  I just don't have any poles to send.

You guys with me 5hrug

I also told him were gunna need pictures of them fishing with the gear..  t^

HE is or latest member devildogs

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:11:17 AM by Hotrod »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Time to Help those that Help us
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
I found this.

The USPS has a program for military family members and friends to supply them with packaging materials to send packages to troops overseas. If you call 1-800-610-8734 and select option # 1, Ask them for the "Military pack" they will send you boxes, tape, packaging materials and labels. They will also give you an I.D. number so if your supply runs low, you just call them up and they'll send you more supplies. The materials take about four to ten days to receive. I Don't know if any of you have mailed any packages lately, but if you go to mail box etc., they will charge you for the box, tape, peanuts, labels and everything else the can think of! After a while, those charges start to add up!

This is just FYI. I thought it was a pretty good deal and wanted to try and get the word out to anyone that didn't know about this program.

Origins: Since the preponderance of "free merchandise" offers promoted via e-mail turn out to be nothing but hoaxes and pranks targeted at the gullible, we're pleased whenever we can announce that such an offer is genuine, especially so in this case as the ultimate beneficiaries are the men and women of the U.S. armed forces who are stationed overseas.

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will supply for free, to anyone who asks, specially packaged Priority Mail supplies for shipping "care kits" to members of the U.S. military stationed overseas. Each supply kit includes the following:
4 Priority Mail Flat-Rate "shoe box"-type shipping boxes http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...0152&productId=11697

6 Priority Mail Flat-Rate "garment box"-type shipping boxes http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...0152&productId=11699

10 Priority Mail labels

1 roll of Priority Mail tape

10 customs forms with envelopes
(The contents of the supply kits changes from time to time and sometimes includes other items, such as water-resistant
Tyvek Priority Mail envelopes and Priority Mail address labels. Most of these items are ordinarily furnished for free to customers by the USPS.)

To obtain a free kit of shipping supplies, simply call the USPS' packing supplies order line at 1-800-610-8734, select option #1 ("Express Mail, Priority Mail or Global Express Guaranteed products"), and ask a customer service agent for CAREKIT04 (or a "military kit"). You need supply only your name, address, and phone number, and they'll get a kit off to you that should arrive within 7-10 days. We've tried this service ourselves: it was easy to use, the USPS customer service agent we dealt with was courteous and efficient, and we were supplied with a customer ID number to expedite the process of ordering additional supplies. (This offer includes only packing materials — senders who use these materials still have to pay the requisite postage themselves.)

The USPS also offers a http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/ page on their web site with links to guidelines for packing, addressing, and shipping items to U.S. troops.

and can ship this stuff for 10-12$

They said for Poles I would have to purchase my own box ..

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
I can get boxes for the rods.  I'm going to take a look in the garage later and see what I can give. t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »

I have a couple Penn top reelers

What are those? :headscra:

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
I spoke to the post office.   The military flat rate boxes save you a couple $ over the regular boxes.

The issue will be the poles..  these will have to get an overseas rate based on Size and weight :-\

anyone got a couple old 2 piece rods  maybe try and keep the tube under 4'

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »
Oh.  OK. Gotcha. t^

Offline devildogs

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Cpl. John A. Jones, I want to thank you in advance for any help that we might receive from anyone! Semper Fi!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Hi John.  lets see what we can do here.  I have a couple reels , Jigs and such I'll pack up for you.

Were trying to hunt down a couple poles for them.

These I will ship separately.

Do you guys ever stop,or anchor up? or just drift with the tide?

Do you ever see Fish around the ship?  I would think in that deep water Mahi and a lot of fish would find refuge around her.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »
I have 3 7' tubes hanging around from rods I got thru E-bay. I'll be glad to give them to anyone who needs them for shipping.

I'll also see what rods/reels I can dig up...

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:29:17 AM »
Rod I have  1 New Penn Long Beach rod model 3360L medium light action 12-20 lb line. I can run it down to your house.
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »
That will be cool..  I'm sending 3 Penn Conventionals.   Bucktail and Joe are looking at their stock..  really need to get 3 Rods in one Package..  to keep the cost down on that one.

It would be nice to get 3 2 piece rods.. but I don't think that's gunna happen..  but they need to be 6" of less  t^
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:32:09 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »
Skip Just dropped off 2 poles..  Thanks Skip t^
Joe is getting a pole box for shipping.  I have a fop flat rate filled with 3 Reels and some tackle and jigs.  Need to dig up one more pole. looking to ship this stuff out Thursday t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
rod

i have an old Penn boat rod but a 1 piece @ 5'6". To big for ur box?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:45:21 PM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Nope  Perfect Joe.  That makes 3.  I am gunna stop by Capt Joe's Thursday and do some shopping in his tackle supply  ;D  I can hook up with you then or maybe you can drop it off to him.  Cool t^

Offline devildogs

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
yes we have seen a school of mahi that stay around the ship, we stop sometimes but we usally just move real slow.  Should we use liters for this fish or would just line be ok?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »
I Would think Mahi out that far in deep water would hit about anything.  we'll have some bait rigs.. and Jigs for you.

I am also including 2 NJSWF.com Hats.  We're gunna need to see a picture with you guys wearing them and fishing TT^

Packages should go out Thursday  t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »
i'll drop it off either tues or weds

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
 t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
Packages Are in The Mail.

Thank you to Capt Joe
Tackle Box Joe
Pops Sole (Skip)

One Package has 3 Rods in it.

the other box has 3 Reels and You name it t^

Enjoy.  let us know when you get it. and we are gunna need to see Pictures of any Fish you catch and or Picture with you guys fishing t^  of course wearing the enclosed hats t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-