Author Topic: White House Says Plan Will Not End Recreational Fishing  (Read 11010 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
White House Says Plan Will Not End Recreational Fishing
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »
Federal Plan for U.S. Waters Will Not End Recreational Fishing, Officials Say

By Joshua Rhett Miller
Updated March 10, 2010

- FOXNews.com

The White House is fighting back against fishing aficionados who say President Obama is planning to impose regulations that will give their hobby the hook.

Officials from at least eight fishing industry organizations say they have "serious questions and concerns" regarding a framework submitted by the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force to plan and manage the uses of the nation's oceans, coastal areas and Great Lakes.

Some critics say the framework "threatens public access" to the nation's waters by using coastal and marine spatial planning (CMSP) as a euphemism for zoning -- a move they claim could restrict recreational fishing nationwide.

But it just isn't so, say officials from the White House Council on Environmental Quality. Nobody, they say, is trying to pry your rod and reel out of your hands.

"These draft reports are not map-drawing exercises, they do not contain a zoning plan and they do not establish any restrictions on recreational fishing or on public access, nor make any judgments about whether one ocean activity or use is better than another," Christine Glunz, spokeswoman for the Council on Environmental Quality, said in a statement to FoxNews.com on Wednesday.

Glunz said the task force "sincerely appreciates" the conservation efforts of recreational fishermen and women, and it believes their continued enjoyment of that activity is "critical to the economic, social and cultural fabric" of the United States.

"In fact, one of our main goals is to ensure healthier ocean, coasts and Great Lakes, which will benefit all recreational activities and the communities and economies that rely on them," Glunz wrote.

Obama established the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force in June to address increasing pollution and habitat destruction within the nation's oceans, coastal regions and Great Lakes. Led by Nancy Sutley, the task force released an interim report in September that outlined nine priority objectives of the plan, including the coastal and marine spatial planning.

Three months later, in its interim framework, the task force defined that planning as an "effective process to better manage a range of social, economic, and cultural uses," including commercial and recreational fishing, mining, tourism and traditional hunting, among others.

But neither document contains language pertaining to a potential ban on recreational fishing, as some reports had previously asserted.

Fishing enthusiasts became alarmed when a story posted on ESPNOutdoors.com and widely circulated by bloggers alluded to the potential of a ban on recreational fishing. The Web site has since posted a clarification stating that columnist Robert Montgomery's opinion piece was improperly labeled.

Despite that clarification, recreational fishermen are reeling, fearing their rods are at risk.

Phil Morlock, director of environmental affairs for Shimano, an international manufacturer of fishing and cycling equipment, said recreational fishing stakeholders have made five detailed submissions to the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force since July. Among their chief concerns, he said, is the impending policy's effect on an industry that contributes more than $125 billion to the nation’s economy annually and provides more than 1 million jobs nationwide.

"We certainly feel that should require a priority status," he said. "That hasn't happened yet. It might in the final report."

As the draft stands, Morlock claimed it "threatens public access to the nation's public waters" by using CMSP to implement a form of ocean zoning.

"We don't know it's going to work," Morlock continued. "The answers have not been forthcoming. The government owes all of us a very clear explanation and that hasn't happened yet."

Morlock urged fishermen to visit keepamericafishing.org to "make their voices heard" regarding the looming federal policy. The site enables users to send a letter to President Obama and top administration officials to view recreational fishing and boating as a priority in the report.

"As one of 60 million anglers in the United States, I urge you to ensure that recreational fishing is recognized and promoted as a distinct ocean, coastal and Great Lakes activity that has a significant impact on employment, the economy and the quality of life in this country," the letter reads.

Lance Lemmonds, spokesman for the Congressional Sportsmen's Association, said exactly what the policy document will mean to recreational fishing remains unclear.

"That's the million-dollar question," Lemmonds said. "There's no way of knowing what it'll be until this report comes out. But we're concerned about the feedback we've gotten about the final report about to be issued."

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
Re: White House Says Plan Will Not End Recreational Fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
This is also up in what i just posted!!!

second link
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:07:22 PM by Capt -Jerry P »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
This is also up in what i just posted!!!

second link

I know.  Off that Facebook page.  I just thought I'd call attention to it by giving it a thread of it's own. t^

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:11 PM »
No... my second link was right to the Fox news story from there site same as ya posted.

But another thread never hurts!!!

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
Nice post. It good to see some facts rather than all the rest of the bullsh&t  that that has been going around this week. Some try to thrive on fear and speculation when the facts are just the opposite. 

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »
OK.  Mine is for people who don't like to click on links! rofla

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Nice post. It good to see some facts rather than all the rest of the bullsh&t  that that has been going around this week. Some try to thrive on fear and speculation when the facts are just the opposite. 

t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
 ;D t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:27 AM »
The government can say what they want. I, for one, don't believe them. There is a hidden agenda here. Don't let them fool you with their rosey talk. They are doing this for a reason.

A quick point in case. I have a guaranteed (so I was told) pension that I was promised during the 26 years I was on the job. I put 9 % of my pay into funding this pension over that time. They are trying to screw with that now. So much for guarantees and promises.

Sorry if I seem cynical, but it's because I am.  >:(
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Fishing ban
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/03/11/11greenwire-obama-admin-jumps-to-squelch-rumors-of-us-fish-65275.html

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/fishingban.asp

I see only 2 congress people showed some concern about this.Of course no one from NJ. Or any other coastal state.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:16:54 AM by Reckless »

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:27:55 AM »
The government can say what they want. I, for one, don't believe them. There is a hidden agenda here. Don't let them fool you with their rosey talk. They are doing this for a reason.

A quick point in case. I have a guaranteed (so I was told) pension that I was promised during the 26 years I was on the job. I put 9 % of my pay into funding this pension over that time. They are trying to screw with that now. So much for guarantees and promises.

whs  How can you trust anyone who states,"Let's sign it now and read it later" rgmn rgmn
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »

whs  How can you trust anyone who states,"Let's sign it now and read it later" rgmn rgmn

See what happened when people fell for all that bs about WMD's. They just lied more and then said they wish they had a do over. Kind of sad when a president admits he wish he had a do over due to bad info and lies. I can see how people can be cynical and fear hidden agendas. After seeing so much of it over the last decade I think many  be a cynical myself.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »
 lets castrate all politicians so they can't multiply!!  >:D

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:03 AM »
So now, when the Marine SPatial Planning takes effect, the Oceans Policy Board comes back with minor tweaks, small area or gear closures (not commercial mind you, we are talking lead, no anchoring areas, etc.) when the MLPA is all set, when Sandy Hook is declared an MPA we can all say..

Gee Whiz! Thank GOODNESS they weren't really going to shut all fishing down! See, I told you that would never happen!

Now let's go anchor up on...wait a minute, I can't do that. Oh never mind, let's go bottom fishing on....wait, I can't use lead there....Oh that's OK we'll just go fish for...hang on, that is closed now....Hey what are you gonna do, I guess we'll just, um uh, Shoot we can't even fish there anymore...

HEY, Wait a MINUTE!!

Yessirree, it is all better now that the "facts" have come out and everything is just coming up roses. There is no hidden agenda, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:17:35 AM by CaptTB »

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »
 whs  clp

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
as they say what is the scaryest sentence you will ever hear?

"I am from the Government. and I am here to Help"

BULL SH*T

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
So now, when the Marine SPatial Planning takes effect, the Oceans Policy Board comes back with minor tweaks, small area or gear closures (not commercial mind you, we are talking lead, no anchoring areas, etc.) when the MLPA is all set, when Sandy Hook is declared an MPA we can all say..
Gee Whiz! Thank GOODNESS they weren't really going to shut all fishing down! See, I told you that would never happen!
Now let's go anchor up on...wait a minute, I can't do that. Oh never mind, let's go bottom fishing on....wait, I can't use lead there....Oh that's OK we'll just go fish for...hang on, that is closed now....Hey what are you gonna do, I guess we'll just, um uh, Shoot we can't even fish there anymore...
HEY, Wait a MINUTE!!
Yessirree, it is all better now that the "facts" have come out and everything is just coming up roses. There is no hidden agenda, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

Thank you Capt TB for sharing your point of view. Since I primaraly derive most of my income from the power/energy industry I somtimes take a point of view from a capitalist/freemarketer and not from concerned fisherman and consevationist. I am sure you can imagine my suprise and shock when I first heard that some fisherman and the groups they belong to were against the plan to build a LNG storage facility near the entrance to NY harbour.I believe one of the primary locations was a spot often times referred to Cholera Banks.This project would of brought in much needed jobs and income(mine included).One of the few restrictions to fisherman would have  been that they would have had to stay several hundred feet to a mile from the facility location. I guess I kinda missed the lets build this thing in the name of freedom thread. Maybe planning to advoid future conflict may have its place  the better informed the better choices we can make
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:03:20 AM by Capt. Birch »

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »
HEY, Wait a MINUTE!!

Thank you Capt TB for sharing your point of view. Since I primaraly derive most of my income from the power/energy industry I somtimes take a point of view from a capitalist/freemarketer and not from concerned fisherman and consevationist. I am sure you can imagine my suprise and shock when I first heard that some fisherman and the groups they belong to were against the plan to build a LNG storage facility near the entrance to NY harbour.I believe one of the primary locations was a spot often times referred to Cholera Banks.This project would of brought in much needed jobs and income(mine included).One of the few restrictions to fisherman would have  been that they would have had to stay several hundred feet to a mile from the facility location. I guess I kinda missed the lets build this thing in the name of freedom thread. Maybe planning to advoid future conflict may have its place  the better informed the better choices we can make

Well, first off thanks for the comments.

As to the LNG facility, the facility itself is planned (well, the one out of the three currently planned) to be built right over the fishing grounds. So, you don't just lose the entire footprint of the facility, but the exclusionary zone as well.(which is even larger when a ship in coming)

If you would like to talk about the LNG proposals in another thread I'd be happy to, I am currently setting up a date for our meeting with Liberty Natural Gas on this very topic. Liberty NG called me last week to start the process over again (we did this back at the start of their application process)

If there is an aspect of fisheries access and/or management you are interested in, I am sure I can help you with it. I have to spend inordinate amounts of my personal time dealing with things like this. The fact that jobs and money will be brought in at the expense of jobs and money from someone else isn't capitalism, it's moronic. Combine the THREE LNG proposals along with the wind farms, each and every one of which will wipe out sections of prosperous fishing grounds that have been fished before either of us was born, and you'll see why I do not shed a tear for multi billion dollar corporations that wish to deprive me of my income so they can get theirs ::)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Federal Plan for U.S. Waters Will Not End Recreational Fishing, Officials Say

lessee, what else do "Officials Say"?

No New Taxes
Unemployment is down
Seabass must be closed immediately
The saltwater license will help me
I was born in Hawaii

I ain't buyin any of it

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »
HEY, Wait a MINUTE!!

Thank you Capt TB for sharing your point of view. Since I primarily derive most of my income from the power/energy industry I sometimes take a point of view from a capitalist/free marketer and not from concerned fisherman and conservationist. I am sure you can imagine my surprise and shock when I first heard that some fisherman and the groups they belong to were against the plan to build a LNG storage facility near the entrance to NY harbor.I believe one of the primary locations was a spot often times referred to Cholera Banks.This project would of brought in much needed jobs and income(mine included).One of the few restrictions to fisherman would have  been that they would have had to stay several hundred feet to a mile from the facility location. I guess I kinda missed the lets build this thing in the name of freedom thread. Maybe planning to avoid future conflict may have its place  the better informed the better choices we can make

Well, first off thanks for the comments.

As to the LNG facility, the facility itself is planned (well, the one out of the three currently planned) to be built right over the fishing grounds. So, you don't just lose the entire footprint of the facility, but the exclusionary zone as well.(which is even larger when a ship in coming)

If you would like to talk about the LNG proposals in another thread I'd be happy to, I am currently setting up a date for our meeting with Liberty Natural Gas on this very topic. Liberty NG called me last week to start the process over again (we did this back at the start of their application process)

If there is an aspect of fisheries access and/or management you are interested in, I am sure I can help you with it. I have to spend inordinate amounts of my personal time dealing with things like this. The fact that jobs and money will be brought in at the expense of jobs and money from someone else isn't capitalism, it's moronic. Combine the THREE LNG proposals along with the wind farms, each and every one of which will wipe out sections of prosperous fishing grounds that have been fished before either of us was born, and you'll see why I do not shed a tear for multi billion dollar corporations that wish to deprive me of my income so they can get theirs ::)
Thanks for the offer to keep me updated and informed. I would like to offer 1 free lunch (on me )for a friendly bs session in the future. My post was originally part of a much larger one but due to time and computer issues that's all I posted. The point or point I tried to make was that there is real threats to our access and it is not new.I see ocean planning as a way to help resolve these conflicts. Maybe not the best way but as long as we demand a seat at the table at least we will have a major say...I see your point with the concerns of losing jobs to gain jobs.
 I think I am taking our free market/capitalist post exchange to heart ;D. The biggest hardest working group should have it all and never mind the greater good. Here is the rest of my long winded post from personal experience.

Like is said before I get much of my income from the energy/power industry and with the demand for oil shrinking(2 major local oil refineries shut down this year)I find much of my work shifting to Nuclear power plants. PSE&G Artificial Island Complex (Salem 1&2/Hope Creek) in Salem NJ has applied for permits to add additional reactor to its Hope Creek facility. On of the major share holders concerns is the possible need or requirements to build a cooling tower.The cooling tower is projected to cost somewhere is the range of 1 to 1.2 billion dollars. The cost would be absorbed by PSE&G customers or by government subsidies(tax payers).The truth to the matter is the new unit does not need a cooling tower for its safe operation, as is the case with Salem 1&2. They rely on the waters of the Delaware Bay. Estimates vary on the amount of sea life lost due to being sucked up in the intakes but most agree its in the tens of millions annually. Would planning prevent conflict? What if fisherman were declared the primary users of the waters? I personally do not want  "save the money or save the fish" let the corporations decide.

As most are aware wind power appears to be a major player to meet energy demands in the near future.Many projects are propose to be placed in the near shore waters of our coast. NJ has already had permit/impact applications applied for as has Mass and Del to name a few.The location is selected on a number of factors in addition to the obvious need for consistent moderate wind speeds. One major  factor is proper seabed composition. There may be plenty of water and much there is much less prime bottom to place these farms. I am sure Capt TB is much more versed in this subject than myself and a looking forward to his insight and opinions. These are a few concerns that I have....Some people will think it will add structure to the area and be increased habitat which all agree is a good thing for fisherman. My concern would be that fisherman could be completely restricted from this habitat. Since these units are power generating and tied it to the North East power grid they subject to certain protections.One of the main ones would be MARSAC. Under Marsac guidelines these restrictions could be thousands of feet clearance from the area,require all in the area to have a TWIC card,some form of restrictive fencing, a posted guard to mane a few. How much restricted area would there be in a 250 unit wind farm?

None of this stuff is new and none is part of some BS secret master plan. Its real and was here 4 years ago and will be here 4 years from now.I hold the opinion that we as fisherman should be declared as stake holders and should have a voice and not just a protest. USED CORRECTLY ocean planning can be a helpful tool. USED INCORRECTLY
it could be a hydrogen bomb to fisherman.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:13:10 PM by Hotrod »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-