Author Topic: NJ ASSEMBLY VOTES TO KEEP SALTWATER FISHING FREE!  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
NJ ASSEMBLY VOTES TO KEEP SALTWATER FISHING FREE!
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
RFA-NJ Applauds Passage of Free Saltwater Registry Legislation

March 22, 2010 -  With nine months to go before New Jersey's saltwater anglers could be forced into paying for a federal saltwater registry program, the state's full Assembly today approved a bill (A823) to create a free, state-run saltwater angler registry in New Jersey.  The vote by the New Jersey Assembly (54 in favor, 16 opposed, 6 abstain) clears the way for Senate discussion regarding the companion bill (S1122), which if also passed and signed by the governor would exempt all recreational anglers who fish in New Jersey coastal waters from having to pay NOAA to store their name and contact information on file.

Primary sponsors of A823 include Assemblymen Nelson Albano and Matt Milam, (D-District 1), along with representatives John Amodeo (R-District 2) and Celeste Riley (D-District 3), while co-sponsors include Assemblyman Scott T. Rumana (R-District 40) and Assemblyman Gilbert "Whip" Wilson (D-District 5).  The Assembly bill which passed today matches an identical Senate bill (S 1122) which was reintroduced last month by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-1) and would require the Department of Environmental Protection to establish a free recreational saltwater registry in New Jersey.  The legislation would meet new federal requirements mandating that the contact information of individuals who engage in recreational fishing within state coastal waters be collected in a state registry database.  

As mandated by the Magnuson Stevens Act, federal surveyors who keep track of recreational fish harvest will be required to use the new saltwater angler registry to contact fishermen about their fishing habits. As of 2010, most anglers fishing in New Jersey coastal waters are required to register with the federal government in an effort to improve data collection (visit www.countmyfish.noaa.gov for details).  As of 2011, NOAA has said they may begin charging anglers up to $25 apiece to register online with the federal system, unless states come up with their own system of gathering angler information.  Both A823 and S1122 have been written specifically to allow New Jersey to apply for "exempted state designation from the federal registration requirements," while also stating that the DEP shall not charge a fee for the required registration program.

"This is the right thing to for the coastal anglers who fish in New Jersey, both state residents and for those out-of-state fishermen who visit the Jersey Shore every year," said Capt. Adam Nowalsky, Chairman of the Recreational Fishing Alliance's New Jersey chapter (RFA-NJ).  Earlier this month, Nowalsky and other RFA representatives testified before the New Jersey Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee in favor of A823, where the bill passed unanimously out of committee.  RFA argued that the need for a federally mandated saltwater registry in the state was essentially co-opted by advocates of a saltwater license, which is purely a funding debate. "What has happened is people have seen the issue with regard to funding here in the state of New Jersey specifically with fisheries and the two issues are being mixed together," Nowalsky told the committee back on March 9.  

"Sen. Van Drew said it best when testifying for this bill in committee, that fathers and sons, brothers and sisters, friends and family should all be able to wet a line without worrying about lining someone's pockets," Nowalsky added.  "We look forward to continuing to work on this, getting additional sponsors for S1122, and getting the Senate companion bill before Committee and up for a vote."  

The last time the Senate version of the free saltwater registry was due to be heard in the Senate Environment Committee was back on December 3, 2009.  According to the RFA, the bill had the votes needed to pass along to the Senate for full vote, however, Committee Chairman Bob Smith (D-Piscataway) refused to allow the bill to be heard, to the exclusion of the recreational fishing community in New Jersey.  "We're not pleased with the way Chairman Smith handled this back in December," said Jim Donofrio, the RFA's Executive Director.  "All his committee members expressed a positive view of the bill, but the Chairman felt it was better to help his friends at the DEP instead of listening to the will of the people through their committee members."  

As reported in the Atlantic City Press, Smith refused to allow public comment on the free registry legislation and instead yielded the floor and his support to the DEP position in favor of a $15 to $30 fee that saltwater anglers would have to pay before being allowed to fish.  Donofrio said it's regrettable that the need for a simple phonebook of saltwater anglers has been intentionally manipulated by advocates for a saltwater usage fee.  "In a down economy where state bureaucracies have been caught misappropriating millions of dollars away from so-called dedicated accounts, it's hard to believe that there are some in our own recreational community who would attempt to intentionally mislead our state legislators about the registry requirements."  

Donofrio said today's Assembly vote is a strong indication that legislators in New Jersey have been able to see through the rhetoric.  "The RFA is thankful for the efforts of those Assembly and Senate sponsors for keeping the discussions focused on the rights of our fishing community, and we'd especially like to thank the Assembly Speaker Ms. Sheila Oliver for recognizing the importance of this legislation and for putting the free registry bill up for a full Assembly vote as quickly as she did," Donofrio said.  

To learn more about the RFA-NJ chapter and to get involved in NJ saltwater fishing issues, visit www.rfanj.org.  

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:46:49 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: NJ ASSEMBLY VOTES TO KEEP SALTWATER FISHING FREE!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
"Sen. Van Drew said it best when testifying for this bill in committee, that fathers and sons, brothers and sisters, friends and family should all be able to wet a line without worrying about lining someone's pockets,"

whs

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
Finally a ray of light

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
rays of light are coming with hard work from everyone.  Keep up the great work guys.   slt clp t^

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:09:45 PM »
 clp - sounds like a good step foward

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
 clp clp clp

TT^

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
So   Is this a good thing ?    5hrug

Or not  ?  :headscra:
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
It's a good thing, unless you like paying extra for your hobbies  ;D

Offline Axehandle

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:55 PM »
 t^
I FISH therefore I am.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
 t^
Fingers crossed that it goes through the rest of the process that well.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
So   Is this a good thing ?    5hrug

Or not  ?  :headscra:

It's a good thing, unless you like paying extra for your hobbies  ;D

Or are a *#@$dock follower nts smk!

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »
 rofla t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
 t^

Offline striper74

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »
Good for NJ, but it's probably only a matter of time!   I fish Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook area so I need the NY license yes?  It's $15 bucks I read somewhere?  I'd be more than happy to pay if I was assured the money was going back into the fishery.  (and maybe it is as I don't know the details....but ...  )  I'll stop at that!
I am not the boss of my house.  I don't know when I lost it.  I don't know if I ever had it. But, I have seen the boss's job and I do not want it! - Bill Cosby

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
Is the new Governor a fisherman  ??? Because the way he is cutting funding for different programs and tring to dig up money to save the state. That could be the decideing factor for him to sign the bill  ;)
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline WATSNEXT

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
Is the new Governor a fisherman  ??? Because the way he is cutting funding for different programs and tring to dig up money to save the state. That could be the decideing factor for him to sign the bill  ;)
Yes but he's a Kensdock follower like  some of us  clp t^ TT^ hhppy fcp thud

You know if you don't weigh the content of your oppositions argument you only short change yourself. And what happened to it's ok to disagree ( just not with the powers that be right?)

KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE    you enemy's closer
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:50:19 AM by WATSNEXT »
- Robert N. Rose

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
Everyone has an opinion on a paid license or free registration and rightly so. I respect whatever opinion you may have even if it differs from mine.

The problem with Kensdock was he could not/would not articulate HOW or WHY he came upon his opinion. That was what the problem was with him. The problem was NOT with his opinion at all.

BTW, I do not wish to pay for my right to fish. That's my opinion.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Is the new Governor a fisherman  ??? Because the way he is cutting funding for different programs and tring to dig up money to save the state. That could be the decideing factor for him to sign the bill  ;)
Yes but he's a Kensdock follower like  some of us  clp t^ TT^ hhppy fcp thud

You know if you don't weigh the content of your oppositions argument you only short change yourself. And what happened to it's ok to disagree ( just not with the powers that be right?)

KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE    you enemy's closer

I am sorry you feel that way!  If it is your opinion that we have a fee for a Saltwater License in NJ, I don't think anyone would fault you for that.  They might not agree with you, but, you don't have to agree with the "powers to be!"

It is perfectly fine to disagree and have your own opinion.  As a matter of fact, I like a good debate...it opens my mind to what others are thinking and either reinforces my thoughts or changes my mind and opinion.  

Even though you agree with a Saltwater License, your opinion never stated, "The cost of not having a NJ saltwater license."  The problem with Kensdock was he was not here for the same reason you and I are here.  We are here for our hobby, fishing and more specifically, Saltwater Fishing in NJ.  We like to share secrets, tactics, get news and reports, have a good debate about a fishing issue(or politics ::)) or just joke.  This is a great Community, started and funded by just a few people and it has grown in leaps and bounds.  Mr. Kensdock wasn't here to join the Community, talk about fishing or even tell a joke.  He joined for one reason and he had ONE AGENDA...to push his Propaganda on a NJ Saltwater Fishing License.  He had no facts to back anything up and every post was about the same thing.  He was using this website to spread very false information around at the expense and hard work of others and other organizations.
His statements were much more than opinions at the point he took them to, of which had no factual basis.  He succeeded in several posts by using the exceptional Web and Computer Skills of HotRod to boost his propaganda to the #1 Google Search position.  Several times, I googled NJ Saltwater License looking for other facts I could find and research and each time, his post appeared in the #1 ranking on Google.

That is not what this Community is for.  Several attempts were made to try and get a conversation going, but that failed, as was seen.  It was almost as though a "Bot" was posting to the site.  As a member, I was aggravated that this person was posting the way he was...no matter whether I supported him or was against him.  I think others felt the same way.

I feel that the Admin handled it as appropriately as they could slt.  It was basically SPAM...and besides this bnqt, there is no spam here ;D!

I see where your post is coming from and I can see how you would feel that way.  I hope you can see my point and...at some point you need to keep your enemy within no more than 20 feet of you!  When they end up in your bed...they are too close.  That is my opinion and for what it is worth my opinion is that we don't need a fee for a Saltwater License ;D.

TT^
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:06:23 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline WATSNEXT

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
I don't want to pay to fish either, but we have to do something, And by something I mean put a war chest together that the politicians can't get their hands on it, as is usually the case. They make it a law and impose fines and penalties and restrict us , they turn it into an industry.
With the technologies we have now we go out there and selectively target and catch what ever we want, Right???
I for one would like to see us put back in some way other than fines the fish we take . Whats wrong with raising and releasing back to the ocean fry such as Flounder, whiting, fluke, the list goes on and on ( they do it with clams and oysters why not fish )
If we replaced what we take we could Increase limits, Decrease size of fish taken. Things would be like they used to be years ago.
The politicians don't want to spend money on this, their answer is to restrict or shut us down till stocks can naturally rebuild.
Nature can't keep up with our technology and our hunger for the oceans bounty. we have to do something. Their way wont work for us . It's up to us, we have to act.
think about it!

I 've been fishing a long time, before gps,before loran before chartplotters  matter of fact I had one of the first fish finders A ray jefferson paper recorder. We used charts, a compass and watches to figure our courses.
All you you do now days is punch a couple of buttons your there. and once your there you can see whats on the bottom
Things are definitely not like they used to be

also we put a reef system together, it didn't take a license to get the ball rolling with that , well did it ??

And I do respect your opinion  and I do think your making this something that it's not.

And I don't support the S/W fishing license or Kens dock either

BY, BY, I'm going fishing
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:45:57 PM by WATSNEXT »
- Robert N. Rose

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-