Author Topic: Horn communication  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Horn communication
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »
OK, It seems any time I use the horn to signal another boater (ie head on signal one short blast indicating passing port to port) all I get in return out there is a dirty look or the finger.  I honestly can't say I've seen anyone out there using their horn as a true communication tool except to signal "get the !*&% outta my way" or a "hey look at me with my 20 outboards and no shirt".  What do you guys tend to see out there?  Do you bother with the horn at all?
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Horn communication
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
In my experience I have seen little to no horn communications, especially in passing/meeting situations, and I have been operating boat more years than I like to admit.  ;D Heck, there is rarely any horn signals being used when guys are out in the fog!

My opinion, (and only an opinion) if it is obvious what the other boat is doing (staying to the right side of the channel, etc) then belay the horn signals. Not that it is proper, but it will save you some frustration.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
 ;D

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
Andy's Delight, first welcome aboard...I know what you mean. My last day on the water of 2009 I gave a short blast to an oncoming boat. He called me a F'ing arsehole. Have to agree with Capt. Joe's opinion

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:28 PM »
Welcome also Andy. I have to agree with the guys above. I don't think a huge percentage of watercraft operators even know the proper whistle ( whistle is the professional name for horn ) signals. Without referring to my chart, I have to admit I'm just as guilty but I have a decal at the helm if I need to refer.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:28:36 AM »
Just to add a little here, if you have radio communications with the other vessel you can relay your intent/actions over the radio and it meets the requirements the same as if you used the whistle signals.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-