Author Topic: Light/Horn Issue  (Read 2890 times)

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
Light/Horn Issue
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:36:56 PM »
FINAL got boat into the water today.  Now, i had to replace the green light at the bow of the boat becuase it wasnt working, (the red on was at the time)  Now i thought i replaced it with the correct bulb.  When i tried to turn them on the nav light lite, then went out.  Now I am assuming the bulb was the right one and i triped the breaker.  What check outs can I take a look at here and how do I fix the breaker.  ALso, the horn is out.  It worked last season and now does not.  Any trouble shooting technics to look at.  All opinions are welcome.  Thanks.

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Light/Horn Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:16:16 AM »
If it's a breaker, it should have a reset button.  How about fuses. are the lights fused? if so, check fuses. Corroded Light sockets. Also, Bad ground, Bad Ground, Bad Ground.  Good Luck
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
 whs Check for bare wire also.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »
Check for loose wire fittings as well.  This happened with mine last year.  After alot of bouncing on the sea wires and such are bound to come loose.  Follow all wires from light back to fuses/breaker.
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
Ok, Fixed the light issue.  wrong bulb and that fixed it after reseting the breaker.  Now I just need to fix the horn...... any idea where it might be  ;D

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
 First fuse, then make sure horn is good. Then horn button and contacts.

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
there is no fuse, its a breaker.  i make sure the horn is good by? hooking a 12v batter to it  rofla. and if that works then its either the button, breaker or wires.  But i would just replace the switch and breaker.  ill let you know how i make out.

Gimper

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
Check your connections for the Green Grammy (corrossion).......my horn quit on me 2 years ago, had to pull the panel off and clean the connections, fine after that t^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
Spray Corrosion X on all that stuff behind and under the dashboard.
Coat all connections with dialectric grease. Heat Shrinks on all connections, if not available fill the regular butt connecters with diaectric grease and crimp away. This stuff works. 8-9 years on my boat and everything turns on all the time.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Matt, Thanks.  I actually got the radio to work with the corrosion X.  had to spray it down a few times though before it worked.  The light was a simple mistake on my part, wrong bulb and popped a few things.  Replace with new one and bingo, works like a charm.  Still trouble shooting the horn/wistle issue.  tracing things out, make sure voltage is getting to what it is supposed to be and well, making sure the horn actually works with power supplied. 

Stupid question, but on a small centruy 21 ft wa like mine, the horn should be under the dash right behind the instument panel correct.  I am pretty sure I found it.  But would like a sanity check from someone.  I might post a pic to make sure.   Thanks again.

Gimper

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-