Author Topic: true novice with a stupid question  (Read 2858 times)

Offline bklait

true novice with a stupid question
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:35:39 AM »
I am at the Jersey shore with my family on vacation for 2 weeks, we will eventually be renting a small boat to do some crabbing etc.  In the meantime my son wants to do a little fishing down at the end of the street in the bay (75th street in beach haven crest) what are the chances of him actually catching anything other than an adventurous crab? What should he use for bait? tackle?
Thanks

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: true novice with a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
I don't know that area at all, but I imagine you could def catch some fluke and some small blues on the rental boat no problem.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:06:01 AM »
If no one here can pipe in with a spot to fish then the best thing to do is this: 
Find a bait shop in the area.  Talk to the people there.  They will point you in the right direction.  Just let them know that you are trying to put a kid onto some fish.  They don't have to be big fish or keeper fish, you just want him to catch fish. (that's the way I read your post anyway).  They will also put you onto the best bait to use.
BTW, that was not a stupid question.  t^
Good luck and good fishing.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »
No idea about that area but as he said try the bair store dont think the snappers are in those are fun for kids to catch!
'

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
Use some small squid strips and you'll probably get a few sea robins and myabe a blowfish. Might try a killie, have it swim lively along the bottom and you may luck into a fluke.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
There is no such thing as a stupid question.  Crabbing down there is great.  You can catch fluke from the dock if you keep moving the bait, but the only problem is, CRABS stealing bait.  If your renting a crab  boat, you can also drift for the fluke and anything else down there.  Way to early for snappers or that would be a good choice to target.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
No stupid questions here.  The suggestion about seeking help from the B & T shops is your best bet.  If you don't have any equipment I believe some shops will rent rigs to summer renters.  Good Luck... TT^

Happy Catching.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishraiser

• "Ya Can't Take It With Ya"
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 04:20:06 PM »
Capt.Joe is right on, the local bait shop will set you up,The only stupid question is the one not asked. Good luck t^
                    Joe
Capt. Joe

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
I know the area very well.. And we love to see kids fish..  Sure head on down to bay side and toss in a line with squid.  He'll catch something.  If you want, head back up Rt 72 to Walmart and there for around 40$ you can pick up a great pole..

Then I would suggest a trip on the Miss Beach Haven ( our sponsor) http://www.missbeachhaven.com/ that'll cost you less than 2 hours at fantasy island ;D

Make sure you tell um We sent yu ;D

Now as for a true boat rental, where you will actually catch something.  I will have to send you to Capt Mikes Marina.  If you rent anywhere on the island, including causeway's..  the only thing you'll be going for is a boat ride.  Capt Mikes is one of our sponsors also and is at the end of lbi in great bay.  but you need to get back on the parkway south one exit.  have a look

http://captmikesmarina.com/index.php?GUID=396E243C-0D6C-C1A9-2AE3-00002CCD6748

Hope you enjoy your stay.  but get out there and fish.  and let them go to the beach TT^

Tell you what.  you post a picture of your boy with a fish before you leave....  and I'll send him a free hat TT^

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=111
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:04:41 PM by Hotrod »

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 07:53:56 PM »
hi

you are just a few streets from where I work. I know the area by schooners wharf and bay village is usually loaded with snapper blues. if you happen to be up at schooners wharf stop by the sunglass cart and ask for "A-T", he and a bunch of the turkish guys can tell you exactly what spot to fish and what they use for bait.

also stop over at the happy skipper for a slice of pizza and let me know how you guys did. t^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-