Author Topic: Will the oil spill effect nj?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline ilovetofish247

• Full Member of the Den
Will the oil spill effect nj?
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
Ive been watching the news alot and they are now saying it is an international problem. Its sad that it hasn't been stopped yet and more importantly even happened in the first place. I think about how the people in the south feel and all the fisherman. Its sad to think about the wildlife in this situation. Here in nj we are far from the spill but still makes me upset about how the wildlife is getting destroyed. I heard on the news tonight that the oil is going to reach florida beaches in a day if not earlier. They are saying much on how the oil is going to be spread.. so my question is what can people in nj aspect from this disaster?

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Re: Will the oil spill effect nj?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »
Honestly it's hard to tell.  If it simply follows the gulf stream then it should stay pretty far offshore from us.  It will have a drastic effect on out deepwater offshore fishing no matter what, but inshore is still up in the air.  The real X factor is the summer hurricanes and where they push it.  Any way you slice it, it's a horrible thing that in my opinion will change that way of life as we know it for years to come.
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Will the oil spill effect nj?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
If it goes on long enough this problem will be catastrophic not only to those in the Gulf of Mexico but just look at the way the gulf stream meanders.  Here in NJ it does run past us at about 140 miles out but if you look at the satellite shots there are many eddy's that are along its length.  One major one if right off the NY so depending on the severity and to make a long story short, Yes we could be looking at a mess here as well.

Happy Catching (for now)

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-