Author Topic: 06/27 Magic Hour Fluke Report  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
06/27 Magic Hour Fluke Report
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »
My son & joined another 22 +/- fares aboard the Misty Morn last evening. Started off fishing the channels edges of the Triangle. The end of the out going tide coupled with a brisk west wind made for a drift faster than I prefer. I started off using a 1.5 ounce glow Spro tipped with a 4" chartreuse GULP swimming minnow with a standout out tipped with a 3" new penny GULP shrimp as a teaser (stuck with this rig the entire trip). Very little action for myself and others bucktailing.3 keepers and a handful of shorts came up on the boat.

Moved to the west by buoy #53 but by now the tide had slackened and with that the wind dropped out so we had no drift.

Moved east to the #25. Tide just started to move in and by now the west wind had completed dropped out so we started a nice drift. Good action around the boat with mostly short fluke in the 15-16" class. I finally put 2 shorts in the boat with my third being a keeper. First few fish fell for the Spro then the more started hitting the GULP shrimp. Jason didn't get a touch on bait & switched over to BTing. He put a couple of shorts in the boat before landing a double header of cocktail bluefish.

Moved further to the east and had action with slightly bigger fish (17-17.5"s) for the most part. I was able to add another keeper to our cooler. Final tally for the boat was 7 keepers for the @ 24 fares. I tied for high hook with 2.

PS: We were out Wednesday evening as well & I fished the same rig, couldn't keep the fluke off the GULP shrimp as it was constantly being slammed. I ended that trip with 1 keeper out of the 6 boated by the 12 fares.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:09:46 PM by Skolmann »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 06/27 Magic Hour Fluke Report
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »
Nice report.  t^ For whatever reason I can't seem to get the gulp to work for me.  5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
Nice detailed report, way to go... Joe - I LOVE gulp (swimming mullet chartreuse" :)
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline stat4u

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
Nice report.  t^ For whatever reason I can't seem to get the gulp to work for me.  5hrug

Joe,

I'll have to take you up on your offer of a fluke trip one day soon and give you a gulp lesson :) I start and finsh most days with gulp. I have one big tupperware container with just about every gulp made in there together. Saves on space and the gulp containers LEAK. The new penny shrimp are deadly.

Offline stat4u

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
Sorry skolmann for getting off subject...great report t^

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »

Same here!! See my report for today.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »
I ish GULP 75% of the time now. My favorites are;

-the 4" swimming minnow/mullet in chartreuse, white, glow, and pumpkinseed. For river, bay and inshore fluking.

-the 6" grubs in deeper water.

-the 3 or 4" new penny shrimp in the river & bay. As previously stated, very deadly.

-the belly strips for 'dragging bait" or tipping a bucktail.

I also apply the GULP spray in various scents (crab, shrimp, herring, bunker) to bucktails.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
sounds like a slow day..  Skol.. do you add any bait to the gulp..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline stat4u

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
Last year I started to rig the shrimp up a little different. seems everyone hooks them from the mouth and then out the back...which catchs alot! But I started to think of what a scared shrimp looks like...and they go backwards with the tail under them. I cut a small notch on the bottom like you would if you were cutting a tree so the tail bends easy. start the hook in the middle of the back and out near the head so it travels backwards while drifting. Increased my keepers by ALOT! Give it try, you will be surprised at the keeper ratio t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
sounds like a slow day..  Skol.. do you add any bait to the gulp..

Nick, I used to add a bait strip but as of last year I fish the GULP 'naked'.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-