Author Topic: Wondering Why  (Read 2835 times)

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
Wondering Why
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »
Traveled down to Lewes, DE for a one week family vacation. Met up with my children and grandchildren. Two of those days I was able to get on headboats along with my sons in law.  One flounder trip,(Headed southeast for 1 1/2 hours) which produced 1 keeper out of about 30 fishermen onboard  and 1 bay trip for croaker, which was mildly successful.  I found a few things to be  strange on these trips.  The first thing was the mate( only one on a 110' boat)
soliciting for tips with a #10 can canting, "tips for the mate."  That was the hardest I saw him work all day. Now, the thing I found most interesting  is that, from July 1 to Aug 31st there is a limit of 10 taug at 14" and no headboats are going out for them. I just found it strange that they would go out for croakers rather than taug.  So, I went to the bait shop and asked if any headboats were going for taug.  The reply was: they  aren't a target fish right now.  My question here is can anyone explain this to me. 4 flounder at 18 1/2" 50 croakers at 8 " 10 taug at 14"  My choice would be the taug.  But, I would think that,out of the fleet of party boats in that harbor, there would be one going for blackies . What am I missing here. Why would they not be a target fish?    fcp  End of RANT   rgmn
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: Wondering Why
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
Were the croaker and flounder trips half day? I guess they can make more money doing 2 half day trips rather than 1 full day trip for the tog in deeper water...

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
The flounder trip was full day.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
Beats the hell out of me  5hrug 5hrug

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
hmmmmmmm...weird.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:33:40 PM »
Go figure. But I am sure the time out with your family was priceless just the same. slt
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
Yep, We had a great time and only had rain one day.  Just can't figure out that taug thing. 5hrug

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-