Author Topic: NJ Angler closure  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
NJ Angler closure
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:03:13 AM »
From the Publisher:

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the closure of The New Jersey Angler. Having had to contend with difficult economic conditions and an associated reduction in advertising revenue over a period of years, we have found it impossible to produce a timely publication of the quality that our readers have grown to expect.

Effective with the December 2010 issue, existing subscribers will instead receive a copy of the NY/NJ Edition of On the Water Magazine. For those unfamiliar, On the Water is an outstanding regional fishing publication that shares the same commitment to quality that we at The New Jersey Angler have always demanded of ourselves. Within its pages, readers will find an outstanding complement of locally-focused editorial from some of the region’s best-known anglers, including many with whom our readers are already familiar. Frankly, there’s no other magazine to which I’d feel comfortable leaving our beloved subscribers. I’d also encourage our past business partners – tackle retailers, charter and party boat captains, marinas, boat dealers, and others – to welcome On the Water Magazine with open arms and to consider using their services to help drive business.

Despite our obvious disappointment in having to cease operations, all of us here at The New Jersey Angler are immensely proud of what we’ve accomplished. We published our first print edition nearly 15 years ago, and subsequently grew it into an entity that would become synonymous with New Jersey fishing. The New Jersey Angler did its part to instruct, entertain, and inspire, and I know that many of our readers became much better anglers as a result. We always maintained a philosophy of involvement, and worked tirelessly to help fight for the rights of recreational anglers. We spent countless days conducting seminars, clinics, webinars, tournaments, and otherwise being a contributing part of the community.

Our TV Show, The New Jersey Angler Video Magazine, ran for five full seasons and gave us another mechanism with which to engage our audience. The response to that program has always been tremendous, and I sleep well knowing that there are many folks out there giving many more fish sore mouths as a result.

It has been a thrill - all of it has - and despite the aggravation that grappling with such a dismal economy has caused, I will always look back on these years fondly, and I trust you will, too. I hope you’ll continue to value your own time on the water, and that you’ll keep finding excuses to do what you love. Don’t ever stop fighting the good fight, and continue to support those organizations that support you. I will be leaving the industry for now in order to pursue another venture, but don’t be surprised to run into me perched at the end of a moss-covered jetty or sneaking around a moonlit back-bay creek. You see, I, too, am looking forward to getting back to doing what I love, and to doing it for all the reasons I fell in love with it in the first place.

- Bill Donovan

http://www.njangler.com/
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
Re: NJ Angler closure
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »
 nosmly

Nice job for what they did accomplish....they always put out a nice magazine and tv show....even if the issues were a month late.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »
That's a Shame.... nosmly  Times are changing..  and print isn't what it use to be..

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
Video killed the radio star and the internet killed print.  Only a matter of time for many, many other publications to go the same way.

Although I haven't read a copy of their magazine in a while, they did some nice work.  I also enjoyed some episodes of the TV show.  I wish them good luck in their new ventures. t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »
I will miss the magazine, television show, ,and speaking to both Bill Donovan and Darren Doris at local events.  Thanks for everything guys.  slt
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline bossross

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
I've been a subscriber to NJ Angler since 2007 and I always enjoyed reading the mag.

As is widely known, they ceased operations this fall due to the terrible economic conditions that many small businesses face.

Personally, I think it's a real shame anytime a small, independent business goes under. Not only is this bad because of the jobs that are lost, (which should not be overlooked) it is a bad thing because our country needs small businesses to keep the larger companies honest. We need entrepreneurs to innovate the types of services and goods we get. Think about the streaming video that the guys at NJ Angler put out; how cool were they? You don't see the large companies pushing the envelope unless they are pushed to do so by the small guy. You don't see local attention by the big guys unless they realize that there is a market to be had; a market that is most times opened up and exposed by the small guy.

I also want to take my hat off and applaud the folks at NJ Angler for making the kind of responsible arrangement that they did with "On The Water" magazine. As a subscriber to NJ Angler, I will have my remaining subscription automatically moved to "On The Water." So, I don't lose. This is a classy move on the part of both magazines. I just renewed my subscription (I was already paid up to August of 2011) for an additional year as a show of my appreciation.

This fishing community of ours is a terrific one, some of the friendliest people I have ever met, I have met fishing. I would encourage this community to patronize the LOCAL, SMALL independent business. If you can buy something at a large chain or a small, local guy, go LOCAL. 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
 nosmly

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-