Author Topic: Pilot - Tog, Ling, Cod 11-19  (Read 3156 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot - Tog, Ling, Cod 11-19
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
Since the Tog limit changed to 6 per man, I had the jones to get out.   There are a couple guys that suffer from the same issues as myself (and probably 99% who read this board) that require very little coaxing and will turn their world upside down to get out and dunk some bait.   We’ll as luck would have it, I had a bug put in my ear last weekend by Capt Don Jr that maybe we could get out sometime during the week.  If that wasn’t bad enough,  Mid-week T-Bone calls and gets me all fired up.  Screw it.  I love a conspiracy!  Weather looks passable.  Work schedule is adjusted.  Calls are made.  Donnie makes a run to the Asian market.  Don Sr has his gear ready two days in advance.  T-Bone flips a couple of appointments off the schedule and the plan is hatched.   Spotting for birds on the way down to the rock fields and we‘ll give it a shot at the bass first.   If we connect on the strips it‘s a bonus.     

We rounded the hook shortly after daylight.  There were only a handful of hearty souls working the birds between the channels.  Marks were insane thick.  The tide was cranking.  AVA 67 were a challenge to get down beneath the boat.  Capt Don Sr is first to have his rod bend.   Sweeetttttt   Line is pitched way out.  Fish looks like it surfaced quick and there are no erratic runs.  Believing we had a nice linesider coming our way, the net is pulled from the rack.  One humongous bluefish makes it over the rail.   UGH!  One helluva fish for certain but just the wrong species.  TBone is pitching metal too.  He’s got a combo going on with a vision sand eel 2 feet up from his AVA.  Bang…. Line goes off.   T cranks up a 24”striper with a plump gut.  The vision worked its magic.

Wind started cranking real good at this point and NOAA actually pegged the blow fairly accurate.   We continued a jig attempt for another 30 minutes with no other takers.    Time to motor off.

We get to our destination and sniff around with the bouy in hand to mark our preference.    Drift is flying.  Anchor is dropped and set.   We’re 30 ft from the marker and start snipping crabs, shucking clams and dropping weight to the craggy stuff.   Got a couple quick flurries.  Shorts are coming over the rail.  T-Bone, Don Jr start bailing.   I’m watching in amazement without a touch.  Capt Don Sr starts smacking it too.   Action stops…. We’re sliding on the hook…. Time to reset.   And reset we did…..   This time there was no question the spike was connected.   Beautiful thing watching the screen light up.  Fish start pounding the line.  First it’s clam.  Guess they don’t like to work the dentures too hard first thing in the morning.  We begin loading the live well.   Cajun critters start producing, blue claws and then greenies all get the attention of the Blackies.   T-Bone is still horsing them with Don Jr right behind him.  I’m scratching out some shorts.  What’s up with that?  “Hey T, what gives? What you got on there?”  A TOMBO he replies.  “What?  Yea, a blue claw dressed with clam.”  “It’s my special bait and I’m calling it a TOMBO.”  There was no arguing here.  The dude was crushin.   As  slack approached the action got hotter.  Ol’ TOMBO bangs a nice ling that he just loves to chow on.    Capt D Sr is working his ugly stick and adding to the Tog playpen. 

Our goal was a four man limit.  We did that 3 fold in total count including shorts.  We kept our 24.  The highlight was Capt Don Jr’s surprise of the day. As T-Bones action slowed to a steady pick, Don Jr littered the deck with fish after fish.  He worked the shears on the crabs like an old Italian barber.  Clip, Clip Clip Snip   He’s got a fish that’s been hounding his bait for a good fifteen minutes stealing a piece here,  snatching a chunk there.   We all are planning on taking a Tastee lunch break and he’s not budging from his corner.   Then BANG the rod doubles over and he’s forced to crank the handle as quick as he can.  He knows he has only one shot at it.   He calls for the net.   Togzilla?   Not….  But it would do… one heck of a Cod.  His PB.    I think the boys going to get lucky tonight. 

Great day with an awesome crew!

24 keep tog 2-5lb  ;D
About 40-50 shorts/some keeper throwbacks
1 CB
1 Ling
1 Cod  TT^
1 Blue
1 Striper

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Pilot - Tog, Ling, Cod 11-19
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »
GREAT job men t^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »
Damn!  That report made me feel like I was on the boat with you guys!  Nice trip! 
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
Probably one of the best, most colorful reports I have read in a while clp clp

You boys had a great day on the water t^

Offline Capt Di

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:04:20 AM »
I like the way your crew thinks (screw work and go fish)...  great report right down to the last detail clp

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:48:14 AM »
Nice report and pics Jeff.  chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:52:48 AM »
Another great day of fishing aboard the Z OBSSESION with CAPT Z  clp Good fishing,good subs,and good hard nose fisherman.  A call from CAPT Z cancels all work days.THANKS for a good day at SEA on the Z OBSSESION  CAPT DON SR                                    

Offline Tbone

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Pilot, I think the Canadian clams also helped put together a good catch. ;D  It was a great trip and u do have a way of capturing every detail.  Nice,  Thanks again.  TBone
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:28:36 AM by Tbone »

Offline Tbone

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
A few more pics from the trip. 

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
Wow, nice trip. Can't wait to try the tombo.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline chawk999

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »
Capt Don jrs proud daughter ( capt senior dons proud grandaughter ) had quite a laugh from reading the post.. cracked up about Dad running to the asian market.. he told me has was going that day and I thought maybe WE were getting lucky and having stir-fry that night.. looks like you men were the ones getting lucky!
MJ

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »
Nice trip Jeff and great report as always.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »
Nice Trip and Great Report and Pics Jeff t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-