Author Topic: Time's Almost Up on a Free Saltwater Registry  (Read 13242 times)

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
Re: Time's Almost Up on a Free Saltwater Registry
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
The Committee Chairman CAN schedule a meeting if he chooses - thanks for contacting Sen. Ciesla, glad you made the connection.  The Committee Chair can still get this done - if he chooses to.   

Keep the phone calls (and emails) going guys, if you want to see this simple angler registry program implemented in New Jersey as opposed to seeing it taken over by the FED - our legislators can get this done - if they choose to!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
Just wanted to say in the begining of this years spring run I was asked to show my reg twice at two different locations, I was glad to see an official actally out there checking that happened within a week span and since then never.I just see the wrighting on the wall first a "registration" then a "pay license" then maybe they will implement a tax on recreational fishing equipment. Me no likey as my nephew would say. Thanks for the email adress I just sent one.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
I just see the wrighting on the wall first a "registration" then a "pay license" then maybe they will implement a tax on recreational fishing equipment. Me no likey as my nephew would say.

BigAl,

I hate to break this to you, but there already is  a tax on fishing equipment which is paid by the tackle manufacturers. ;D

Sport Fishing Equipment

A tax of 10% of the sale price is imposed on many articles of sport fishing equipment sold by the manufacturer. This includes any parts or accessories sold on or in connection with the sale of those articles.

Pay this tax with Form 720. No tax deposits are required.

Sport fishing equipment includes all the following items.

1.  Fishing rods and poles (and component parts), fishing reels, fly fishing lines, and other fishing lines not over 130 pounds test, fishing spears, spear guns, and spear tips.
   2.  Items of terminal tackle, including leaders, artificial lures, artificial baits, artificial flies, fishing hooks, bobbers, sinkers, snaps, drayles, and swivels (but not including natural bait or any item of terminal tackle designed for use and ordinarily used on fishing lines not described in (1)).
   3.  The following items of fishing supplies and accessories: fish stringers, creels, bags, baskets, and other containers designed to hold fish, portable bait containers, fishing vests, landing nets, gaff hooks, fishing hook disgorgers, and dressing for fishing lines and artificial flies.
   4.  Fishing tip-ups and tilts.
   5.  Fishing rod belts, fishing rodholders, fishing harnesses, fish fighting chairs, fishing outriggers, and fishing downriggers.

See Revenue Ruling 88-52 in Cumulative Bulletin 1988-1 for a more complete description of the items of taxable equipment.
Fishing rods and fishing poles.   The tax on fishing rods and fishing poles (and component parts) is 10% of the sales price not to exceed $10 per article. The tax is paid by the manufacturer, producer, or importer.

Fishing tackle boxes.   The tax on fishing tackle boxes is 3% of the sales price. The tax is paid by the manufacturer, producer, or importer.

Electric outboard boat motors.   A tax of 3% of the sale price is imposed on the sale by the manufacturer of electric outboard motors. This includes any parts or accessories sold on or in connection with the sale of those articles.

Certain equipment resale.   The tax on the sale of sport fishing equipment is imposed a second time under the following circumstances. If the manufacturer sells a taxable article to any person, the manufacturer is liable for the tax. If the purchaser or any other person then sells it to a person who is related (discussed next) to the manufacturer, that related person is liable for a second tax on any subsequent sale of the article. The second tax, however, is not imposed if the constructive sale price rules under Internal Revenue Code section 4216(b) apply to the sale by the manufacturer.

If the second tax is imposed, a credit for tax previously paid by the manufacturer is available provided the related person can document the tax paid. The documentation requirement is generally satisfied only through submission of copies of actual records of the person that previously paid the tax.

Related person.   For the tax on sport fishing equipment, a person is a related person of the manufacturer if that person and the manufacturer have a relationship described in Internal Revenue Code section 465(b)(3)(C).

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch05.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:33:37 PM by Bucktail »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »
Geese is nothing sacret. Bob you always have the answer and articles to show it. Thanks for the info.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
"paid by the tackle manufacturers," but passed along to us consumers.  Trust me, that 10% excise tax is a buyer's tax, not the seller's. 

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
Well if ART BERKMAN is going, then damn right I'm gonna be there!

Just put it in my calender - I would love to go the banquet.

BY THE WAY guys, don't rely on emails to legislators - take the time to give the legislative office a call and register your views (respectfully) through real official contact.  You'd be surprised how much influence you can wield when you take the time to call!

Rod Count me in !

Jim Have a Happy Thanksgiving !

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »
The sportfish restoration funding, by law cannot be used for enforcement expenditures.
NOAA estimated that the cost for any states anglers without a registry/license structure of their own and run by the Feds could go as high as $75 per angler. This would only effect the local anglers as any state with a NOAA recognized program are already covered. So non residents coming into Jersey would pay nothing additional to fish here.
Just goes to show, some politicians uneducated trying to help the people that elect them, in all actuallity hurt them severely.
How about we make those calls and send some emails for our recreation fishing brothers! t^
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:33:59 AM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »
"paid by the tackle manufacturers," but passed along to us consumers.  Trust me, that 10% excise tax is a buyer's tax, not the seller's. 

Very true.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

How about we make those calls and send some emails for our recreation fishing brothers! t^

t^

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
 <'((((> Hello to all. I followed a link from the B*** B*** that landed me here on this very nice site.  

Senator Smith did everyone that is concerned with the condition of NJ saltwater fishing a favor by not supporting the free registry bill.

Fact: New Jersey would continue to lose its far share of federal funds with a free registry. The Federal government counts State saltwater license to determine how the money is distributed. The federal law clearly States that the State fish and game must realize a profit after all expenses i.e. printing the license etc., or they do not count. The more saltwater license sales the more money the state receives
Fact: New Jersey Fish and game does not have the money to manage our marine resources. The free registry would not raze one cent to help.

Fact: New Jersey was unable to apply for millions in federal grant money last year for lack of a State saltwater license. The free registry would not help one iota.

Fact: If the saltwater fishermen of NJ do not step up and  kick in a few dollars, NJ saltwater fishing will continue to decline.

Fact:  look to the south to the States that have had a saltwater fishing license for a few years:
Texas, in 1977 the speckled sea trout and red fish population resembled our weakfish population of today {decimated}.
In 1982 they opened the John Wilson hatchery,followed by the Seacenter Texas fish hatchery in about 1983. In addition they made other wise investments in their natural marine resources. Today, Texas has the best redfish and speckled trout fishing on the planet!
You can find success stories all over the south, Florida, Louisiana,Alabama South Carolina and many more. Mater of fact, there is not enough space  to list all the success that has been achieved via saltwater license funds.

Fact: Governor Christy will not sign any unfunded legislation.

Fact: States that took advantage of the stimulus funds (federal grant money)created thousands of jobs. The free registry creates zero jobs.

Fact: Pushing the free registration bill to save 15 dollars is a bad move.

Fact: NJ saltwater fishermen are better served at this point, by being patient and waiting for saltwater license legislation.

Fact: With the free registry prized fish like the NJ spotted sea trout will continue to be exposed to unlimited commercial fishing. Due to NJ's lack of funds to do the necessary studies to declare an interest in the stock with the feds.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:59:19 PM by Capt. Mac »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
Nice to Have you with us Capt. Mac  t^ 

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:34 PM »
Glad I found your site!

I am a member of the Cape May County Charter party boat association and the New Jersey federation of sportsmen's clubs both of them support a NJ saltwater license. Thanks for allowing me to post why I stand with them on this issue and why I do not support the free registry bill.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 06:51:58 PM »
Here we go again. Ken, why do you keep showing up on these sites?

You overstayed your welcome the last time you were here. Don't overstay it again.

The saltwater license is a farce. It will get us nothing. The southern states have had and still have closed areas and fish they can not target. So much for a license for them.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

You overstayed your welcome the last time you were here. Don't overstay it again.

The saltwater license is a farce. It will get us nothing. The southern states have had and still have closed areas and fish they can not target. So much for a license for them.

whs don't tell me joe...capt mac is kensdock? Here we go again!!!!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »
I like this one especially...

Fact: If the saltwater fishermen of NJ do not step up and  kick in a few dollars, NJ saltwater fishing will continue to decline.

How dare you say that we do not pay to play!!!
 What a freaking insult!!!

I checked my fuel receipts from the 2010 season, I spent over $5000, yes 5 G's on fuel alone this year. With the boating tax on that, I'm sure I stepped up and kicked in more than a few dollars.

Spent about the same in fishing tackle this year too. The tax on the was well spent for my sport by the politicians I suppose.

Don't get me freakin started on how this screwed up government of mine wants me to spend more of my money on their crap.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
nts  Missed that above post... fcp

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »

Ha ha Joe!  You sussed this guy out! rofla

Too funny! t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
Yeah, he has the nerve to come on here spouting out his opinion (again) on a saltwater license. That, in it's self, is fine. HOWEVER, he has never offered anything of use to this board.

I respect the fact that other's may not have the same opinion as I do on things. But don't try to shove your opinion down my throat. I won't stand for that.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
An interesting post I found:

According to the verbiage in 600.1410 Subpart P-Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States under the Registry process 600.1410 section, number (d), starting on page 79,718 it states: "NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued."

50 CFR 600 Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

Due to the registration process as defined by the National Marine Fisheries Service New Jersey anglers can register on December 31, 2010 and not pay a fee associated with the Federal Angler Registry for 2011 up to December 30, 2011. I am sure many anglers will take advantage of this loophole in the registration process in the event that New Jersey does not pass legislation for a free or nominal fee registry in 2010.

Jersey Joe

http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136892#Post1368 92http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136892#Post1368 92

PART 600-MAGNUSON-STEVENS ACT PROVISIONS

Subpart P--Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

ยง 600.1410 Registry process.

d. NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued.

Here is a working link to the Final Rule PDF. Large file 2.59 mb. Section mentioned is on page 60.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/aboutus/organization/downloads/Saltwater_Angler_Registry_Final_Rule.pdf
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:31:45 AM by Hotrod »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
The last link is not working...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-