Author Topic: Time's Almost Up on a Free Saltwater Registry  (Read 13241 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Time's Almost Up on a Free Saltwater Registry
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
So, as I understood things,  we (NJ) had until the end of 2010 to enact either a free saltwater registry or license before the fed took it over permanently and we would have to pay.

Well, here we are with less than 45 days left in 2010.  I have not seen any updates since I got this one from Jim Hutchinson Jr. back in June when I asked him what the status was of A823 and S1122.  These are the bills that were introduced that would give us the free saltwater registry in NJ.

Jim's response was, "The Assembly version passed – the Senate bill is stuck in the environment committee.  We’re working on getting it out – right now, we’re fine with the federal ‘free’ registry so there’s a little time.  But we’ll eventually have to put the heat on the Chairman of the Senate Environment Committee to see this thing through."

Obviously that "little time" has grown much shorter.

Is there any hope left for a last minute reprieve?  Is it possible for us to still get a free saltwater registry or is a saltwater license inevitable?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:12:33 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Time's Almost Up on a Free Saltwater Registry
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
A 823 & S1122 are "Stuck in the committee" and I think we are going to be "Stuck in the .......wallet" For us get the  committee Chairman ,Bob Smith, to do anything before the end of the year, with the holidays upon us, seems doubtful. Maybe the RFA's NJ State Chapter Chairman could provide an update on this issue. I don't think it's even possible for the Feds to give NJ an extension to the Dec 31st deadline. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Anyone have them call you up to "count my fish?" Not me.
What a waste. Bunch of bullshyt.
Best available science- Ya Sista's A$$. They are perfectly happy with the flawed science they have already.
I paid for the nonresident NY license too.
Another waste. They didn't call either.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
I feel the free registry was a way for the gov to see how many of us would register, this way they can set a dollar amount for the license. My question is this I wouldn't mind paying a resonable fee for the license if they are gonna provide assistance to the fisheries, does anyone know what the fee is for?
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
Folks,

RFA is continuing to press to see S1122 get out of Chairman Bob Smith’s (D-Piscataway) Senate Environment Committee – we’ve had numerous meetings with legislators (Senators and Assembly folks alike) on the bill, and there’s overwhelming support to get this out of committee for a full Senate vote before the year is out. 

We’ve also heard from the Governor’s own staff on how they want to fulfill the pledge the Governor made during the campaign to not raise any new taxes in New Jersey (paying to fish is a tax, that’s very clear to all) - however, Sen. Smith has said that he’ll only allow the democratic process to proceed if the bureaucrats at the DEP  approve it.  That’s me editorializing, but Sen. Smith said if the DEP is willing to implement a no-fee saltwater registry, then he’ll let the Senate Environment Committee take a vote. 

Otherwise, Chairman Smith has apparently chosen to not move this bill, despite protests from within his own committee and from both sides of the aisle. This is our political process, and there's very little we can do except continue to push, poke, prod and plead.   

RFA has pushed this legislation very, very hard since the reauthorization of Magnuson back in 2007 required this new fisherman identification program, and we continue to meet and greet with everyone in the state who has some influence on the process, but there’s a boulder in the way and it’s going to require many hands to move it. 

RFA has been very outspoken about getting this registry legislation passed – if some of the other groups in New Jersey put some lift into the process (instead of sitting on top of the rock), maybe we wouldn’t be facing down the barrel of a loaded shotgun right about now. 

Fact 1:   US Fish & Wildlife estimates there are 496,000 saltwater anglers in the state of New Jersey (resident and non-resident combined).

Fact 2:   DFW Director Dave Chanda said the current mechanism for registering hunters and anglers can be used for the saltwater registry and would cost the state $1.01 per entry.

Fact 3: Combine Fact 1 and Fact 2 and the cost of implementing a no-cost registry for NJ’s saltwater anglers is $500,960.

Fact 4: US Fish & Wildlife ranks New Jersey 5th in the nation amongst coastal states in terms of overall saltwater retail sales with an estimated $643.6 million spent on saltwater tackle.

Fact 5:   New Jersey was entitled to receive $3.8 million in Sport Fish Restoration Funds from the federal ‘excise tax’ program for fiscal year 2010. 

Fact 6: New Jersey will continue to receive at least 1% of the total apportioned amount of Sport Fish Restoration Funds (maximum of 5% apportionment) no matter whether there’s a fee or no fee to register to fish in New Jersey coastal waters.

Fact 7: By month’s end, NOAA Fisheries will announce the new pricing structure for the saltwater angler registry program – in other words, we’ll know by December 1 just how much it’s going to cost us to fish in New Jersey coastal waters come 2011. 

If Sen. Robert Smith chooses to sit on the bill at the urging of the Division of Fish and Wildlife, there will be a lot of very unhappy saltwater fishermen (nearly a half-million by USFWS data) lined up to complain.   

RFA has pushed this long and hard for more than 2 years – those who want this saltwater registry legislation passed will need to get on the horn to their state senator.  Those who would rather see the legislation fail are apparently in favor of paying a federal fee in order to access a public resource.   

On which side are you?

Time to get involved- call your state senator and ask him to ask Chairman Smith to move S1122 along in the Senate Environment Committee for a vote before the year is out - before a new tax from the fed is automatically enforced on you as a voting taxpayer. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
Thanks Hutch for the info.  and don't forget..

bnqt  t^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
 chrz  clp to the RFA!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »
Thanks for your response Jim.  Your input here is much appreciated. t^

-Bob

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:22:14 PM »
 whs t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
First, thanks to Jim Hutchinson Jr. and his organization for providing us, as fishermen, with help,support and information.

Second, a HUGE THANK YOU to Bucktail Bob, for without his original post, we would not know this information today.  slt clp

Third, no one wants to pay for a licence/registration to fish. With that said, are we actually better of under the federal registration process as we are now? It requires us to pay next year, but what happens if you do not register? A lot of people did not register when it was free, yet I know of no cases here in New Jersey where any one was asked to provide proof of registration, let alone be charged for not registering. Remember reading cases this past year of people being charged with fish and game violations here in NJ?In addition to the state charges for bag / size limit violations, were any charged with a federal violation for not being "registered"? If it becomes a state license issue, then yes, fish and game will start writing people up.  

For the record, My wife, myself, and my dog are  federally registered through the end of the year. <'((((><

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Darren, to answer your question about anyone being charged for not registering. It has been my experience that in most cases there is a grace period given when a new law/regulation such as this is passed. I recall when I was working that we were told to 'advise' violators of the seat belt law and cell phone laaw. This would go one for a month or so and then the actual enforcement would begin. This gave people the opportunity to get with the program, so to speak. I'm sure the enforcement of the federal registration will be the same. This year will be our 'grace period' and next year they will start enforcing it. Heck, they don't even have a penalty in place as of yet that I am aware of.

To the RFA and their officers, a big thank you for all of your effort in trying to bring some sanity to the rules and regulations. I think this Smith character needs to be exposed for what he is, a tyrant who thinks he is above his constituents and know more than they do what they want/need. His name should be plastered in the papers to make people aware of his actions or lack of them.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:12 AM »
use this link to find your state senator

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/municipalities.asp

email him as Jim requests-
I did, it's really easy, just ask him to

ask Chairman Smith to move S1122 along in the Senate Environment Committee for a vote before the year is out - before a new tax from the fed is automatically enforced on you as a voting taxpayer. 

Have your wife and dog do it too. Contact your Senator that is...

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »

bnqt  t^

If Hutch Jr goes I will be there !

Jim hope all is well my friend & thanks for the update  grtn

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
E-mail sent to Senator Andrew R. Ciesla. I hope it's not just "gone with a click", and actually helps out. 5hrug
<'((((><

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »

bnqt  t^

Jim hope all is well my friend & thanks for the update  grtn

Thanks for the warning! :P

;D

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:06 PM »

This is your year Art.. t^

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:09:34 PM by Hotrod »

Offline HutchJr

• Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »
Well if ART BERKMAN is going, then damn right I'm gonna be there!

Just put it in my calender - I would love to go the banquet.

BY THE WAY guys, don't rely on emails to legislators - take the time to give the legislative office a call and register your views (respectfully) through real official contact.  You'd be surprised how much influence you can wield when you take the time to call!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
 t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
I am all for a no fee registry but will it come at a much larger cost?

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
E-mail sent to Senator Andrew R. Ciesla. I hope it's not just "gone with a click", and actually helps out. 5hrug
<'((((><

I received a phone call back today from Senator Ciesla's office today. Glad my e-mail did not fall on deaf ears. I was told that they contacted Chairman Senator Bob Smith's office, and have found out that there are NO MORE commitee meetings scheduled for the rest of the year! nosmly
 Looks like we will be sending Oba..the federal government money that should have stayed within our great state of New Jersey.  rgmn  <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-