Author Topic: New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License  (Read 20090 times)

Offline Great American Fisherman

New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
The NJ Fishing message boards are lit up with the upcoming fifteen dollar New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License for 2011.  Folks are saying we are taxed to death here in New Jersey.  Yes we are.  Too much.  Folks are bringing up a lot of views on this and even are sending threatening messages to a dude named Sen. Robert Smith, (Piscataway) who  refuses to move S1122 to a vote to stop the Nj Saltwater License.  People have said they want to know where the money will go.  The RFA has fought the good fight to stop this.  All miss the true bottom line.  What do we have to fish for?

I'd pay the fifteen dollars if government told me I can fish for fluke from May until October for a eight fish bag at say seventeen inches per.  I'd pay the fifteen dollars to fish for Black Sea Bass for twelve months a year for twenty five fish @ twelve inches per.  I'd pay the fifteen dollars for a real Blackfish Season. Weakfish? 

The Bottom Line is, what in the world do we have to fish for?  Fluke closes on Labor Day.  Blackfish "real season" is a joke.  And for 2011 government will gladly give us about one or two sea bass a trip.  Gee, thanks. 

The focus should not be on a fifteen dollar fee to fish in saltwater.  The focus should not be on a State Senator named Robert Smith, who nobody knows who he is and if he did not stop the vote on this bill we would not care who he was.  The focus should be on what we have to fish for.  The answer is, just about nothing.  Too much in-between time for seasons here in NJ.  In Delaware, you go from Blackfish to Fluke then back to Blackfish.  With Stripers and Bluefish and some Triggers tossed in.  No gaps.  And of course for 2011 your one or two sea bass.  In NJ, we have gaps that could put party boats out of business.

Once again for 2011 my vacation dollars will go out of NJ and my beloved Long Beach Island.  Why?  I have nothing to fish for.

Instead of organizations and private people fighting to stop a fifteen dollar fee (which I do not want to pay either) lets fight to have something to fish for.  How about this Robert Smith a lowly state Senator, how about he fights for us to have something to fish for.  He won't.  All he wants is the fifteen bucks.  Which I would pay, if I had something to fish for.

Remember, this is "Change you can beleive in".

Later!

Offline njdiver

Re: New Jersey Saltwater Fishing License
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:29 PM »
The $15.00 is going to the US Treasury in Washington, DC not Trenton.  It will NOT be used to advance fisheries anywhere.  NOAA has already budgeted for the cost of the registry as there are only three States who will have to participate, NJ, HI and PA.  They have this year's participation figures as an estimate of next year's.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
If you read the requirements for the Federal Registry there are lots of exceptions and loop holes. I don't believe that with the language used any person who fishes only in state waters for fluke,seabass,porgies,blackfish or on party/charter boats will not be required to purchase. I also don't believe it can be enforced with the current enforcement system.NJ can set their own requirements and fees/penalties and would be more enforceable. I fish about 100 days a year and rarely ever see or encounter anyone representing fish & wildlife. If they had the honor system on the GSP who would pay without the cameras?

Offline njdiver

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
NJ has only 10 Conservation Officers for Marine waters.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
 fcp

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »

Here’s what I know:

New Jersey Senate bill S1122 which I have included below was sponsored by State Senators Jeff Drew and Jennifer Beck… and is being opposed by State Senator Bob Smith...

The federal Government/NOAA is going to impose a $15.00 registration fee on all NJ saltwater fishermen beginning in 2011 if our state Senators doesn’t take action and pass this bill…

Bob Smith who as mentioned opposes this bill is the Chairman of NJ Environmental agency in NJ, Concerns of his include clean drinking water, clean air, Barnegat Bays health and restoration, increased construction of our fishing reefs just to name a few....all decent things...

What I cannot understand is:

Why Sen. Smith would oppose this bill seemingly being an advocate of the outdoors and the environment  judging by his agenda briefly listed above puzzles me…dose he really think that $15.00 per angler in NJ going to Washington is a good thing??  That’s going to be a lot of money leaving the state having absolutely no direct impact on our fisheries here at home.

I don’t recall getting a phone call from NOAA with regard to my fishing this summer…anyone else get that call.

Probably reasoning:

Perhaps he has a friend in Washington telling him to leave this bill to die so that they ( the Federal Gov) can collect the money or…..he feels that the mandate in the bill to not impose a fee for implementation/administration our own registry would carve a bigger hole in NJs already ballooning budget deficits… not sure… open to other suggestions/reasons…..

With respect to a fee:

From what I have read among different local fishing sites, posts, rants and opinions of what I feel seems to be the majority of saltwater fisherman I have come to this conclusion: Most when forced to would much rather pay that $15.00 fee to New Jersey and get some kind of “return on the investment” if you will, by way of better access/ management/science, regs, etc. with respect to our sport of saltwater fishing.

I would think Mr. Smith would be in favor of such a bill perhaps if it did provide a fee that covered not only the administration costs of S1122 but also was a source of additional state revenue that could be used by our state to fund some of the things listed on his agenda provided they were directly related to our saltwater fisheries.

We are going to pay either the Federal Government or keep the monies here in New Jersey to use as we see fit. Or pass the bill as it stands and have a free saltwater license at least in the short term.

I think in addition to contacting Bob Smith whom opposes this bill, we should also contact the sponsors listed above in an effort to get from them the reason this bill not moving forward and what actions they are taking on our behalf.

Maybe I’m simplifying this too much but this seems like a no brainer for us and New Jersey.

State Senate Bill  S1122

INTRODUCED FEBRUARY 4, 2010

Bill Sponsored by:                   Opposed by:         

JEFF VAN DREW,      1St District                Sen. Bob Smith 17th District

JENNIFER BECK,     12TH District

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

The commissioner, in consultation with the Marine Fisheries Council, shall establish and implement a registry program for saltwater recreational anglers, which program shall provide for the registration, including identification and contact information, of individuals who engage in recreational fishing:

(a) In the Exclusive Economic Zone;
 (b) For anadromous species; or
(c) For Continental Shelf fishery resources beyond the Exclusive Economic Zone; and the registration, including the ownership, operator, and identification of the vessel, of vessels used in such fishing.

The registry program established pursuant to this section shall comply with the provisions of the registry program to be established pursuant to the “Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act of 2006,”

Upon establishment of the registry program pursuant to this section, the commissioner shall apply to the National Marine Fisheries Service of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for exempted state designation from the federal registration requirements.

1.   The department shall not charge a fee for the registration required pursuant to this section.

2. Section 82 of P.L.1979, c.199 (C.23:2B-18) is repealed.

3. This act shall take effect immediately.

STATEMENT

This bill directs the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, in consultation with the Marine Fisheries Council, to establish and implement a registry program for saltwater recreational anglers modeled on the registry program to be established by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This bill specifies that the State cannot charge a fee for registration under this program. In 2007, Congress reauthorized the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (Public Law 109-479), and included requirements for revising the Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistics 1 Survey (MRFSS) and directing NOAA to establish a National Saltwater Angler Registry Program by January 1, 2009.

Congress also authorized NOAA to collect a fee, beginning in the year 2011, to cover administrative cost associated with this registry. The purpose of the federal registry is to identify all saltwater anglers that can be contacted to obtain more accurate recreational fishery information to improve fisheries management.

The National Saltwater Angler Registry will exempt anglers from the federal registry if their state has its own registration or licensing system. However, since New Jersey does not currently
 Have a saltwater licensing or registration program, the State’s anglers will be required to register with the federal government.

This bill also directs the DEP Commissioner to apply to the federal National Marine Fisheries Service for “exempted state designation” so that New Jersey’s saltwater anglers do not have to participate in the national registry.

Lastly, this bill would also repeal section 82 of P.L.1979, c.199 (C.23:2B-18) that prohibits the imposition of a saltwater recreational anglers license.

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
Great post Kenny.  Well thought out.  I don't know what Senator Smith's game is here. But he definitely seems to be cutting off New Jersey's nose to spite its face.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
An interesting post I found:

According to the verbiage in 600.1410 Subpart P-Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States under the Registry process 600.1410 section, number (d), starting on page 79,718 it states: "NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued."

50 CFR 600 Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

Due to the registration process as defined by the National Marine Fisheries Service New Jersey anglers can register on December 31, 2010 and not pay a fee associated with the Federal Angler Registry for 2011 up to December 30, 2011. I am sure many anglers will take advantage of this loophole in the registration process in the event that New Jersey does not pass legislation for a free or nominal fee registry in 2010.

Jersey Joe

http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136892#Post1368 92http://bhweb.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136892#Post1368 92

PART 600-MAGNUSON-STEVENS ACT PROVISIONS

Subpart P--Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States

§ 600.1410 Registry process.

d. NMFS will issue a registration number and certificate to registrants. A registration number and certificate will be valid for one year from the date on which it was issued.

Here is a working link to the Final Rule PDF. Large file 2.59 mb. Section mentioned is on page 60.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/aboutus/organization/downloads/Saltwater_Angler_Registry_Final_Rule.pdfhttps://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/aboutus/organization/downloads/Saltwater_Angler_Registry_Final_Rule.pdf

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
GAF,Your post is right on target! Many fishermen in my area are feeling the same way, including myself. Saltwater fishermen in States like Florida and Texas were in the same position in the early eights. Their speckled sea trout and red fish populations were depleted just like our weakfish are today. What did they do? The same thing that must be done in NJ today. They have the blue print all we have to do is follow it. For the short term, spirit airline 9 dollar fare club.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
Now that our Buddy Ken, Ben, or whoever you want to be this time around Capt Mac, has chimed in on this I will too.

Jim (GAF) is correct, we also need to ask what we have to fish for. That pretty much speaks for a reason not to have a saltwater license in NJ.

Ken, Ben, Capt Mac, or any other thing you want to be called...these Pee-poor regulations are not only in New Jersey. They are coast wide. Other states live with the same sea bass regulations that the State of New Jersey has to live with. They pay for a license, New Jersey does not.

Other states have a more stringent summer flounder regulation than the State of New Jersey does. They pay for a license, New Jersey does not. 

New Jersey has the same offshore regulations that other states do.  They pay for a license, New Jersey does not.

The regulations for the State of New Jersey is not out of line with ALL OF THE OTHER STATES WHO PAY FOR A LICENSE FOR THE PRIVELEDGE TO FISH.

Please feel free to try to come up with another reason why we need to pay to fish where we will not be provided a thing for our hard earned money. I have yet to hear a valid reason.  >:(
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
Irishayes, Obviously A State saltwater license will help highly migratory fish like bluefin very little.As far as sea bass, it would help. Our fish move inshore offshore . If NJ has no money to prove the sea bass population is x, we eat whatever the feds give us.
 If I can show you how the speckled seatrout and redfish were rebuild in the south using funds from their saltwater license, would you change your mind on a NJ saltwater license?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
Ken, I know that there is absolutely no  difference between New Jersey's sea bass regulations and the states that have a license. NOT A THING!!! NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. How is their license helping them? It is not. There are closed areas down south, where all the coastal states have a license. What good is that license to them?

If we get a license are you saying we will have redfish to fish for? Of course not. Two different areas, two different equations.

The striped bass were at one time almost non-existant. Did we need a license to get them back in the numbers that we have now? No.

Blue fish run in cycles. There are periods of time where they are pretty much non-existant. Did we need a license to get them back? No.

Let me ask you, Don't you feel that we pay enough to fish as it is now? I spent over $5000 in fuel this season. And I am a rec fisherman, not a charter. I spent about the same amount on fishing/boating gear this past season. Are the taxes that I have paid for these items not enough for me to pitch in and help the cause? If the powers to be can not get their job done with the monies that I and every other fisherman/boater hands over, another $15-25 won't make a difference.

To answer your question: No, you will never convince me that a saltwater license will benefit the fisherman by any means. Because you have not presented anything valid that would sway my opinion. Actually, you have not brought any thing at all positive to this or any other site that I have seen you post on. You come on and say we need a license and that is it. Please, take your agenda elsewhere.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
Check out what the State of Maine has done, for just a buck!

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/registry/state.htm

Offline njdiver

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »
S1122:
12/9/2010 10:00:00 AM Environment and Energy
Committee Room 10, 3rd Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ

Senate Environment and Energy Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:00 AM Meeting - Committee Room 10, 3rd Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ

The committee will hear testimony from representatives of the Department of Environmental Protection and members of the public concerning the department's implementation of the "Site Remediation Reform Act," P.L.2009, c.60.

Bill AbstractCurrent StatusLDOA
A823 Saltwater fishing, free reg.-estab. SEN3/22/2010
A2529 Renewable energy tech.-revise SEN11/8/2010
S1122 Saltwater fishing registry-estab. free SEN2/4/2010
S2306 Renewable energy tech.-revise SEN9/23/2010
S2371 Solar Renewable Energy Cert.-purchase SEN11/8/2010

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Irish, The striped bass were rebuilt by investing money, i.e. Hatcheries were used. Do you know were the money came from?

The bluefin have never been in a depleted condition like they are now, never. That is not a state license issue.

The fact that a state has a license does not mean that they will not set bag limits and seasons. It is all about sustainable yield.

The difference between the southern states that have a saltwater license  and New Jersey, is they have fishable fish populations.
New Jersey's sea bass population or season has nothing to do with other states. Sea bass move inshore offshore.
Irishayes, It is not about keeping the season open at all cost. It is all about sustainable yield. Whatever the season or bag limit is to achieve that, so be it.

We can rebuild the weakfish  and other fish populations by following a proven method that was used to bring  back the  striped bass,southern flounder, spotted sea trout and red fish. That is being proactive and investing money to rebuild our fish populations as fast as possible.

or we join the 9 dollar airfare club to fly to Florida were they have fish.   

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
And I have a bridge for sale.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
Hi Joe  ;D  Already a member of the $9 club ! ;D Lots of Florida guys in Washington last winter complaining about gettin screwed in their fishery but I digress. AS far as stripers since 1984 or so the federal waters are closed to taking  bass both recs and commercial. That's why we have the fish plus all the  other restrictions in spawning areas. The people enforcing those regs continue to ignore blatant violations and usually if someone is caught all they get is a slap on the wrist. A licence is a tax and we're already paying plenty.  This Federal registry is already a joke. "They really don't want to count fisherman or fish just money."

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »
Kensdock aka Capt Mac aka Ken aka Ben, why do you continue your antics? You annoy me..GTFOH!!!!

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
I would say the majority of NJ anglers do not support the free registration bill. I called the Senator today. I do not support the free registry bill. I also sent this info. and more:

**** **** poll resulted in 68% supporting a NJ saltwater license. 50,000 members

********  poll resulted in 92% supporting a NJ saltwater license

New Jersey Marine fisheries council supported a NJ saltwater license with a 7-2 vote

Cape May co. Charter and party boat ass. voiced their support at the NJ council meeting (8000 members)

NJ federation of sportsmen's clubs {100,000 members} support a NJ saltwater license

CCA the largest angler ass.{100,000} members on the east coast support a saltwater license

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
 fcp

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-