Author Topic: Fish story: Big tuna sells for record $396,000  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Fish story: Big tuna sells for record $396,000
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
"It was an exceptionally large fish ... but we were all surprised by the price"

msnbc.com news services
updated 1/5/2011 3:06:36 AM ET

TOKYO — A giant bluefin tuna fetched a record 32.49 million yen, or nearly $396,000, in Tokyo on Wednesday, in the first auction of the year at the world's largest wholesale fish market.

With the ringing of bells well before dawn, an auctioneer launched into a rapid chant as rubber-boot wearing men signaled subtly with their hands.

The price for the 754-pound tuna beat the previous record set in 2001 when a 445-pound fish sold for 20.2 million yen, a spokesman for Tsukiji market said.

"It was an exceptionally large fish," said the official, Yutaka Hasegawa. "But we were all surprised by the price."

The massive tuna was bought and shared by the same duo that won the bidding for last year's top fish: the owners of Kyubey, an upscale sushi restaurant in Tokyo's Ginza district, and Itamae Sushi, a casual, Hong Kong-based chain.

'I am relieved'
Reporters thronged Hong Kong entrepreneur Ricky Cheng after his big win, which reflects the growing popularity of sushi around the world, particularly in Asia.

"I was nervous when I arrived in Tokyo yesterday, but I am relieved now," he said after the auction, which began shortly after 5 a.m. "Good tuna is really selling to people in Hong Kong and China, and this is a really good fish."

The giant tuna, caught off the coast of northern Japan, was among 538 shipped in from around the world for Wednesday's auction.

The record-setting price translates to a whopping 95,000 yen per kilogram, or about $526 per pound.

Japan is the world's biggest consumer of seafood, with Japanese eating 80 percent of the Atlantic and Pacific bluefins caught. The two tuna species are the most sought-after by sushi lovers.

Fatty bluefin — called "o-toro" here — can sell for 2,000 yen ($24) per piece at high-end Tokyo sushi restaurants.

Japanese wholesalers, however, face growing calls for tighter fishing rules amid declining tuna stocks worldwide.

In November, the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas voted to cut the bluefin fishing quota in the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean from 13,500 to 12,900 metric tons annually — about a 4 percent reduction. It also agreed on measures to try to improve enforcement of quotas on bluefin.

The decision was strongly criticized by environmental groups, which hoped to see bluefin fishing slashed or suspended.

Below:  The price for the 754-pound tuna beat the previous record set in 2001 when a 445-pound fish sold for 20.2 million yen. The record-setting price translates to about $526 per pound.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fish story: Big tuna sells for record $396,000
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »
 cfzd

better be the best damn sushi ever tasted! ;D

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
 whs
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
As we scrimp and scrape for a lousy one bluefin limit. What a disgrace for ICCAT.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Big Country 08

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
NMFS gives recs a one month season to keep BFT this year.  Prices like that will be the end of those great beasts sooner than later.

Country

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »
As we scrimp and scrape for a lousy one bluefin limit. What a disgrace for ICCAT.  nosmly

The story is a little misleading. This is no where near the avg value they get for bluefin. This first fish on the year is a status thing in Japan. Status and appearance mean everything. The next day they could of bought the same fish for a fraction of that price. Not cheap but a fraction of the price. This fish had a lot going for it when it came to price. First it came from Japenese waters where they are believed to have a much higher fat content,second it was very large, third it was the first fish of the auction and lastly the guys that wanted it would of paid any price for the status of having it. If most bluefin were worth anything close to that price they would of all been gone long ago.
I have some opinions that are close to yours Joe. I agree our anger can be point at Iccat . Japan buys but Spain catches.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:29:43 PM by Capt. Birch »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the info on that Caot Birch.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
monster fish to go w/ that price

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
As we scrimp and scrape for a lousy one bluefin limit. What a disgrace for ICCAT.  nosmly
NMFS gives recs a one month season to keep BFT this year.  Prices like that will be the end of those great beasts sooner than later.

Country

I'm with you guys as well.  I just renewed my HMS Permit for $20, a nessesary evil. <'((((>< 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-