Author Topic: Braided Line Question  (Read 6948 times)

Offline blackadder

Braided Line Question
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
Hi All,

I switched to braided line last year and I like the better feel and being able to use lighter sinkers, The tangles are a disaster I just cut them and retie. My questions is I put my reels away in September and just took them out last night to start cleaning them and found that the dark green has faded. The line doesn't seem damged and hasn't lost any strength. Do I need to replace it or is it still good? I usually replaced mono every season but with the cost of braided line I was hoping to get a little more life out of it. Again I have never used braid so if this normal just call me stupid and I will be happy with that.

Thanks

Chris

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Braided Line Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
Fading is not a problem.  I usually go 2 to 3 seasons with my braid and had no problems.  This year is a year for change on a number of reels so I feel your pain in the cost.  As far as the wind knots you can try 2 things.  First the reels might have been over loaded I usually fill mine till I reach 1/4 inch from the lip of the spool.  Second I will be changing my first guide to a K series Fuji guide as it is designed to allow the line to slide over the guide and not begin the loop to cause the knots.

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
Braid does not degrade like mono does. If you don't see any fraying or nicks in the line you are good to go.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline blackadder

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Thanks Guys,

My wife is right I am stupid (so she tells me every stinking day....) I was hoping that was normal for as braid is very expensive, but especially with my kids who dead stick alot I find the combination of braided line with circle hooks works well and they loose less fish when they are not paying attention.

I have read that many Party Boats don't want braid on Bluefishing trips so I am keep 30 lb mono on my big reels I can see why too I can imagine having a blue run off and snag 4 or 5 guys on the side of the boat with braid that would be a unholy mess.....

One more bone head question If I ever get the urge to take a deep water ling/blackfish/sea bass trip and I showed up with a heavy bluefish spinning rod and a large spinning reel (Penn Power Graph 7000 to be exact)would that work ( I would load up with 40 lb braid). All the pictures I see form these deep water trips everyone use conventional reels which I understand but being 50% Polish I can barely keep tangles off a spinning reel let alone a conventional reel.

Any Thoughts

Chris

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »
it always fades out....a little trick i use....when i am spooling up an empty reel, i take a reel that has braid on it, and keep that in free spool then connect it to my mono backing on the empty reel and fill the empty reel from that one....basically "backwards". then all the braid that you never used on the reel is like brand new on the reel you just filled...color and all!  ;D
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Another thing to consider:  Most of us only use about the100 yards of the 300 yards we have on our reels. Before the new season starts I like to re-spool onto another reel so that last years “fished” end is tied to the backing and the un-fished end is now the working end. You should get to good two to three years out of braid.  In other words reverse you line.  thud

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »
Yes, reverse the line!  It's like a freshly spooled reel!  Plan on hitting mine before the spring!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
One more bone head question If I ever get the urge to take a deep water ling/blackfish/sea bass trip and I showed up with a heavy bluefish spinning rod and a large spinning reel (Penn Power Graph 7000 to be exact)would that work ( I would load up with 40 lb braid). All the pictures I see form these deep water trips everyone use conventional reels which I understand but being 50% Polish I can barely keep tangles off a spinning reel let alone a conventional reel.

Any Thoughts

Chris

The thing you have to remember is that sensitivity is very important in this kind of fishing.  I would guess that your bluefish rod is a stout, heavy action stick, which isnt very sensitive. Also, you might find that the line capacity comes up alittle short but i dont reallty know the specs on your power graph.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
All great advice as usual here  t^ 4 sure don't sweat the fading.. the dye they use seems to wash out pretty easy, but the line lasts a long time.. i have some line that has almost turned white, but it still strong as ever. Got a deal last year on the red spiderwire.. the first few wettings while trolling with it my gunwales looked like a crime scene with all the red dye running off..  cfzd

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Braid does not degrade like mono does. If you don't see any fraying or nicks in the line you are good to go.  t^

whs....also, as Paul mentioned, change your braid every 2-3 seasons, I change every 2. I was shown how to reverse the line which , i was told, should be done after every season of use t^  When and if you can go with 50lb SUFFIX braided line
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:51:13 PM by Tacklebox Joe »

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »
Tell YOUR wife you are not  stupid but you are  SMART cause you married HER. Hence you are NOT stupid. ;D   Then she will figure that out! Be SMART and not stupid for explanning this thing.

Now to answer your question:your braid is fine.BUT you already knew that,cause your SMART. chrz clp

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
As Capt. Joe said, there is no need to change your braid unless it shows signs of wear.  The Spectra or Dyneema fibers (depending on which brand of braid you buy) are not as adversely affected by the sun's UV rays or extreme heat as monofilament is.  I have some reels that have the same spool of braid on it for 5+ years now.  And I can get it fairly cheap. ;)

However, if your line has been subject to abrasion (run through the sand, rubbed on the boat's hull, etc.)  then you will need to check it carefully and replace (if not all) at least some of the line.

Fading means nothing.  No manufacturer has found a way to dye braid effectively and, as Treebeard said, all will turn gray or white over time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:23:48 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
it always fades out....a little trick i use....when i am spooling up an empty reel, i take a reel that has braid on it, and keep that in free spool then connect it to my mono backing on the empty reel and fill the empty reel from that one....basically "backwards". then all the braid that you never used on the reel is like brand new on the reel you just filled...color and all!  ;D
this is what i do also..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline On A Mission Fishing

• Sponsor
  • Fishing is not just a sport its a way of life!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
As everyone has said, the fading is no problem.
But I noticed you mentioned a Penn Power graph reel, I work in a tackle shop and would just like to add that that particular reel is not designed for braid line. The way the spool is designed is what is causing your (wind) not issue!

I would recomend stepping up to a Penn Battle wicth is designed for braid lines.

Hope I could help. chrz

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,a perpetual series of occasions for hope! john buchan

Offline blackadder

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »
Hello,

Yeah my old Power Graphs doesn't like the braid if I fill up the spool so I keep about 1/8" from totaly full. I use a PG4000 for Fluking with braid and a PG7000 with 30lb mono for the heavy stuff like bluefishing. My tangling issues is just general getting caught up with the person next to you (usually one of my kids), braid just isn't worth the time to try and detangle I just cut it off and move on. I do like my old Power Graph reels they have served for a long time however......I actually just got a Penn Battle BTL 4000 for my birthday over the weekend funny you should mention it must have ESP hehehehehehehehehe.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:49:17 AM by blackadder »

Offline Fireman Ed

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
Yes, reverse the line!  It's like a freshly spooled reel!  Plan on hitting mine before the spring!
jason are you gunnatake care of my reels as well!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
IBSP #4333-1 Gray Ford F-150. Go Big or Go home empty handed!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-