Author Topic: Winter Flounder Fishing Questions  (Read 4460 times)

Offline blackadder

Winter Flounder Fishing Questions
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
Hello,

I am planning my first trip winter flounder fishing and have some basic questions.

First I found that the Norma K fleet fishes for winter flounder if there are any other boats in the Point Pleasant area that run for winter flounder I would like to check them out too.

Secondly should I bring a chum pot and log if I am fishing on a party boat or is that not needed?

What bait is provided and what should I pick up to bring with me?

What is the best tide to fish slack, in comming or out going?

I did check ok the winter flounder tips section and tied up my rigs as suggested I thank all of those who posted there alot of my questions we answered there already.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: Winter Flounder Fishing Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
Some sponsor charter boats have run open boat flounder trips n past years.  We'll see if the 2 fish limit changes that. I'm not a meat fisherman by any means but it's an awfull lot of money and effort for 2 little fish.

I've never fshed the PP area for flounder but up north in the Navesink, slack tide to outgoing is my favorte.

As long as the boat provides clams and worms you should be good but a lot of people use mussels.

I've seen people bring thier own chumpot and/or sash weight to stir the bottom but have never done it myself. I always say that you know you have a good spot on the boat if you keep tangling up in the chum pot.  ;)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
First off flounder fishing is spotty at best.  Even catching a fish limit on a party boat could be a challenge.

Yes, you can bring your own chum pot.  As B&B said, it helps if your hook is right in front of it, even though the boat will also be chumming.

Most boats in Point provide clam for bait.  Pick up some blood or sandworms before you board.

Good luck! t^

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
Water temps are always the key to early spring winter flounder fishing. we use to start in late Feb in Barnegat Bay and catch fish. Nice sunny days like we had last week on Thursday and Friday would have a few flounder moving around. These days with only a 2 fish limit and a closed season till late March as long as it stays cold the flounder will be there when it opens for a couple of weeks then move thru the canal/river. Top of the tide changing to outgoing is my favorite time to fish but I will go any time I can. Bloods/Sands are traditionaly my favorite baits but combo baits with clam or plain clam have taken some big fish for me. Call the boat to ask if they carry worms for sale or just pick up some before getting on the boat. ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:18:52 AM by Noworries2009 »

Offline blackadder

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
Hello,

I plan to go on the first weekend if the weather is decent. I just need to get out fishing period. I have tried Striper fishing before and had no luck so I figured I'd give the flatties a try. I'll probably have a couple of my kids with me so hopefully we can manage one or two in the box to bring home for the wife (loves eating fish hates fishing) I will be happy (and be allowed to go again ;D). I dug a old chum pot out last night and cleaned it up. Is there any other fish we might catch at or is it flatties or bust?

Thank you to all who gave their input I appreciate it.

Chris

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
Good luck and don't forget to put a couple of snelled flounder hooks on the chum pot. Can usually produce a bous fish.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
if you can find the time to dig some at low tide.....grab some Mussels too.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline blackadder

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »
Hi All,

I have to bump this thread to ask a question. I was planning on going out on the Norma K fleet for winter flounder because their websight advertises they go. I sent them a email to verify and have not gotten a response so my questions is does anyone know if any party boats will be going out for winter flounder specifically Saturday March 26? I would consider a split charter if anyone is interetsed and knows of  agood charter available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
The old Norma K usually goes for flounder and maybe the Bar-vic will go open too.  Not many peeps willing to pay charter prices to keep 2 fish. I fish from shore cause I'm local and can fish everyday that's decent weather wise. There were some good days last year but not like the "good old days". Best flounder fishing that I've seen was 2yrs ago while fishing for ling/seabass in 100' of water. The season was closed so all were released unharmed. We caught over 2 dozen with all over 17" to 20"+,the biggest NJ flounder I ever caught. They hit hard and ate 3/0 hooks baited with clam tipped with 4"chartruse swimming mullet(gulp)Check with Jerry and Wayne on the Fish Monger Charters they may be able to help you. They may do winter flounder trips this year. They run one of the best charter businesses in this area. ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:47:16 PM by Noworries2009 »

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »
I think the Monger has said they'd do it if ther'e interest.

...and I'd be interested in splitting a flouder charter if you go that way.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:53:42 PM by bassnblues »

Offline blackadder

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »
Hello,

I did some more searching apparently the Angler out of Atlantic Highlands runs winter flounder trips so I shot them a email. If nothing works out splitting the charter may be the option I'll let you know.

Regards,

Chris

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »
a lot of guys you just need to call and say hi. emails may or may not get returned.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
i do them on request...but not until April.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline blackadder

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
Hello,

I took WB's advice and called the Norma K fleet they are going winter flounder fishing with half day trips starting on the 23rd, clams will be provided and he said you could bring your own chum pot (he seemed surprised when I asked about that but said sure why not...)

Regards,

Chris

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-