Author Topic: Pennsylvaia resident using baot in NJ  (Read 2983 times)

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
Pennsylvaia resident using baot in NJ
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
I have read so many conflicting stories about this topic and I sent an email to NJ officials and have not heard back so I thought  I would run it by you all for your feedback.

I am a PA resident who will have seasonal campsite all year in NJ.  My boat is registered in PA, I took PA's official boater safety course which can be taken on-line and passed it.  have the certificate and card for that.  This course meets national standards.

Will this be sufficient to operate on NJ bay waters? 

I fall under the period  of being in the state to require NJ certification according to the way i read the guidelines.  Any opinions??
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: Pennsylvaia resident using baot in NJ
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
THis is from the NJ State Police Web Site:

Q1
 Do I need a boat safety certificate?

A1
 Yes, if you are operating a personal watercraft (Jet Ski, Wave Runner, etc.), or a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey you are required to possess a New Jersey boat safety certificate.

Exemptions:
A boat safety certificate is not required for non-powered vessels.

Q2
 I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?

A2
 Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

Q3
 Can I operate a power vessel in the State of New Jersey if I possess a current United States Coast Guard operators license?

A3
 Yes, a person holding a current United States Coast Guard operator’s(captains) license, who is otherwise required to possess a boat safety certificate, may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, provided that they have their captains license in their possession while operating.

The operators license can not be converted to a New Jersey boat safety certificate.

Q4
 I have taken a boating safety course in the past, will the New Jersey State Police issue a boat safety certificate based on this course?

A4
 In most cases the New Jersey State Police cannot issue a New Jersey boat safety certificate to an individual who had completed a boat safety course in the past.

The Marine Services Bureau can issue New Jersey boat safety certificates based only on successful completion of an “Approved” boat safety course, the application(SP421) for which has been forwarded to the Marine Services Bureau by an approved course provider. For a course to be approved it must have been reviewed and approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates at the time that the course was administered. As required by regulation, an approved course must include a block of instruction on New Jersey laws and regulations, printed New Jersey course materials, and New Jersey State specific test questions. New Jersey boat safety Certificates cannot be issued based on courses taught out of State, unless that course had been approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates at the time that the course was administered.

•There were no approved boat safety courses in the State of New Jersey prior to January 19, 1988. If an individual has completed a boat safety course prior to that date, they cannot be issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate based on that course.
•Between January 19, 1988 and 1995, boat safety certificates were issued only to individuals who were under 17 years of age. These certificates had an expiration date that corresponded to the individuals 17th birthday. The certificates have not actually expired. Upon request, the Marine Services Bureau will issue an updated certificate to the individual, the new certificate will have no expiration date. See question 6 for information on obtaining a replacement certificate.
•Beginning in 1995 and continuing through the present, an approved boat safety course provider would have forwarded a SP421 application on behalf of an individual who had successfully completed an approved boat safety course. That individual would have been issued a temporary New Jersey boat safety certificate(pink copy of SP421) by the approved course provider and a permanent certificate would have been sent to the individual at a later date. If an individual had completed a boat safety course in this time frame, and they have not been issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate, it is possible that the course that was completed was not approved for the issuance of a New Jersey boat safety certificate.
There are some individuals who have successfully completed an approved boat safety course between January 19, 1988 and 1995, who were 17 years of age or older at the time of the course, and were not issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate. These individuals will be issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate by the Marine Services Bureau only if all of the following conditions are met:

•The course provider must have maintained a record verifying that the course was approved, at the time that it was administered, for the issuance of New Jersey boat safety certificates.
•The course provider must have maintained a record verifying that individuals attendance and successful completion of the course.
•The course provider must submit a SP421 in that individuals name, to the Marine Services Bureau.
If you believe that you have completed an approved boat safety course in the past, and have not been issued a New Jersey boat safety certificate, you must contact the boat safety course provider that administered the course. It is important to remember that the SP421 application must be submitted by the course provider, based on the course providers records, not on a diploma. If the course provider has failed to maintain a record of the course, they cannot submit a SP421, and a New Jersey boat safety certificate cannot be issued based on that course.

Q5
 I have a state issued certificate from a state other than New Jersey, will the State of New Jersey issue a certificate based on that certificate?

A5
 No, as stated above, a New Jersey boat safety certificate can only be issued for successful completion of a boat safety course that has been approved by the Superintendent of State Police for the issuance of boat safety certificates, the application for which has been forwarded to the New Jersey State Police, on a New Jersey State Police application for boat safety certificate, by an approved boat safety instructor. Therefore, a New Jersey boat safety certificate can not be issued based on a certificate issued by another state, or any other agency, or for any course that has not been specifically approved for the issuance of a New Jersey boat safety certificate.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »
So How I read it from what you said the answer in No you do not need one.. :headscra:  Right

Q2
 I live in another state, do I need a boat safety certificate?

A2
 Yes - Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators(N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
This what I saw before and it looks like this confirms I am okay with my PA course card and certificate.   

Thanks for the awesome responses! 

It's reassring to see what i thougth confirmed by the veterans! t^
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline wimpy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Took online PA course 3 years ago, and have had 4 check's in NJ water's since, not a problem. By the way Golden Bear student or resident up that way. Sea Ya.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
This what I saw before and it looks like this confirms I am okay with my PA course card and certificate.   

Thanks for the awesome responses! 

It's reassring to see what i thougth confirmed by the veterans! t^
just show then your new shirt ;D

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
KutzTown, I am also a Pa. Resident the info Capt Bob posted cannot get any clearer. When this first went into affect I called the NJ State Police marine division and explained my situation. I live in Pa. My Bost is registered in NJ and I keep it in a slip in NJ. Being I LIVE in Pa. as long as I have a approved boating course for my home state I'm covered. Good Luck and besafe t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-