Author Topic: Pilot 4/30 - Boot Camp Bass  (Read 3560 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot 4/30 - Boot Camp Bass
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
So here's the plan.... launch at 5:30 with a bushel of beauties and some crabs from the asian market C/O Capt D Jr. Last day of 4 on the tog and we have designs of making hay with the toothy critters if we can locate them but are commited not to invest the entire day with the hot Bass bite going on.   

Brother Jay is out for his opening day adventure and AMPED.  Capt Don Jr of Tastee Sub fame and T-bone (famous for his WHAAA  :'( I haven't caught a fish in hour!) hhppy fill out the crew and looking to put a hurtin on the fish.  We arrive at the destination and drop hook on a promising piece.  Surface water temps on the outside were off 6 - 9 degrees from the bay but still in the zone.   The arsenal is assembled.  Bait is readied by T-bone (I think he has a part time job as a Sushi chef the way he slashed and dashed with the knife).  He had the clam strips juliened in no time and the shells set aside for a clam shell rain shower to get things going. 

Tide just topped out.  Reads were reasonable, current starting to move and hopes were high.  A couple of sniffs.  The FF routinely feedback data that told an entirely different story.  Bass on the move.  T-bone puts out a bait on the fishfinder rig. Jay swings and misses on TOMBO (Crab/Clam on a TOG RIG).  Capt D gets a bump and ends up going to the skating rink!  My gear is changed out to paddle shad then a crock to see if we can get a jig going on the passer by's.

Jay's back down in search of the bohemth blackie.  From the stern, T-Bone grunts out  "Fish On".  His Talevera is arched nice and the game begins.  Fish stayed tight to the bottom and he's humping. Nets out, fish finally shows it's stars and stripes.  Nice fat bass breaks the no-fish log jam!   Boot Camp boy aka Jay goes into the crouching tiger hidden dragon mode, feeling that, burned into your muscle memory thump, thump, thump and sets the pin on another fish. He's jacked thinking he's got the stink off with his first tog for the boat. Line starts to peel and he works back line crank for crank.  For his efforts another nice bass is added to the locker.  Jay's day is made and we just got into it by an hour.   We poked around here for another hour without a single targeted species interested in what we had to offer.  Adjustments made no difference, I suspect the temps need to be a little higher for where we were. Go figure.... catching bass with tog presentations on an inshore wreck but we'll take it.

Enough time committed... pulled the hook and headed back to the mouth of RB to catch the last 2.5 hrs of outgoing and setup for an attempt at the bucket mouths.   A decent fleet setup around the Knoll. Cruising through the area perimter looked promising. Some scattered marks.  Decided to slide pass the fleet probably to the dismay of the crew and return to the scene of the crime on our last outing.  We have bait out in no time.  Tikki gets the early bump.  Donnie gets the next.  Fish are here but nothing on the screen to prove it.  We each take turns like batting practice fighting fish. Sometimes double headers.  We missed our fair share. Ended up returning 3-4 shorts. We lost 2-3 on shake offs and one better fish on light line break off.  Ended the day with 7 nice fish and a happy crew.  Sometimes you just go with your gut and crunch it out while at Boot Camp.   ;D

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot 4/30 - Boot Camp Bass
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
 clp clp clp chrz

Offline Tbone

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
Whhhhhhhaaa, Whhhhhhhha.  I want to catch a fish toooo!!  Excellect day Capt Pilot!  Fun had by all.  Love the post as usual.  T-Bone 

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
That's an awesome write-up with great pictures t^ t^ t^

Felt like I was on the trip w/u clp

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Great report Jeff!  Nice trip. t^

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
Cool! Good day! And post chrz
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
Good report and trip.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
Nice report!  Good day out!  t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
 wts
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
Great report as always and a nice catch to boot.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Lt.Willy

• HydraSport Vector 2250 FishBones
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
Waaaha waaaha I wasn't there

Nice Zman

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Nice day Jeff, Great report and pics. TT^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:14:26 AM »
Nice day Jeff, Great report and pics. TT^
clp clp whs clp clp
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »
good catch

Offline kpcoe

• Super Hero Member
  • 21' Seaswirl Striper..."Freedom 3"
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
great report... chrz
Freedom 3

Offline shayshay

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »
What a great day with the crew as usual ;D. T-Bone had me laughing so hard with his "no fish in the past hour"  rofla I could have peed in my pants. The fish cooperated with us and therefore could not have asked for a better day...Sure beats boot camp! Hats off brother your a great captain. I look forward to many more good times on Z'Obsession (Pilot2550).

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Boot em up Capt Jeff...Boot em up. t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-