Author Topic: Sunday 05/08 and Monday 05/09  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Sunday 05/08 and Monday 05/09
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
After being out of commission for a week having some carb work done and also installing my new GPS, I finally had my day to go out on Mother's day.  Ran out Sunday morning mostly for a shakedown and to try some trolling.  Ran out to the spot and dropped some stretch 25's in and started dragging.  After a few passes I finally hooked up a short bass.  Let him  go and headed back in to grab some lunch with a friend before heading back out again around 2pm.  Stopped for fuel and off I went up around Flynns.  No life on the sounder and nothing on the bite.  Tried trolling the area and picked up a couple cocktail blues.  Headed south around the tip and suddenly found myself in a swarm of bunker.  Bass and Bluefish were working them hard and the water wsas boiling with bunker as far as the eye could see in every direction.  Dropped bunker bait down and within moments a big blue took it.  Snagged a couple bunker and livelined one only to have another blue bite it clear in half.  Threw plugs, more blues.  Could see the Bass at times but the blues kept getting to the bait first.  Finally called it a night when it started getting dark. 

Monday I headed down with my fiancee and saw Capt Joe G (Sykk Physh) at the dock.  Looks like he's making a move down to where the action is in Belmar.  Sad to see him go as it has been a real pleasure getting to know him and he has been lighting up the fish on every trip.  If any of you are looking to head out of Belmar with a top notch Captain on a damn fine boat, look him up.  You won't be disappointed.  Before I threw off the lines he gave me a good spot and even gave me a little somethin' somethin' different to drop out on the troll.  Headed to my spot, threw the stretch 25 on the port side and the magic freebie on the starboard.  Stretch starts pulling out first and in lands another...you guessed it, SHORT!  Set them both out again, moved up on the troll and then BAM, starboard line starts ripping out.  Grabbed the rod and immediately knew I had some weight on this one, so I turned and handed it to my first mate since she hasn't popped her keeper cherry yet.  A good long struggle and some help from me and she finally landed a nice 34" keeper over the rail.  She had been losing her sea legs this year on past trips but I think this fish really brought her back  t^ t^

We finally decided to head for some smoother water and try for some flatties around Keyport but no luck.  As for the keeper, she said she wanted to let him live, so off into the drink he went unharmed.  Capt Joe's advice and special somethin' to tie on got us off the schnide!  Big thanks to you Joe, good luck down in Belmar!  Boat is running beautifully and I am 100% ready for the season!  Bring em on!!
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
Re: Sunday 05/08 and Monday 05/09
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
Nice catch  t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
Good job, I saw you working on your boat on Sun. Morn. when I got back. Cleaned up and drove over to say hi on my way home, but you had already left the dock. Maybe catch you next time...

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Damn too bad I missed you Warren.  I'm sure we'll hook up one of these days  t^
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
 t^  Great Report  t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-