Author Topic: How do I determine tip-top sizes?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline vespo

How do I determine tip-top sizes?
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »
Guys-

I have two rods that I need to replace the tip-tops on. I could probably take them to a local shop and pay to have them do the repair, but it seems like it is simple enough to do on my own (and a decent learning experience at that), so I'd rather save a few dollars and do the job myself.

The problem I'm having is twofold- I'm not sure I really understand the size schemes for tip-tops, and I'm not sure what the best and most accurate way to determine what sizes I actually need.

Is it possible to find out what sizes to used based on the rod specs? (both are major brand-name mass production rods), or is there a reliable and accurate way of measuring the tips that I can use to figure out what size tips to order?

One rod is an old 6' Daiwa Apollo spinning rod (don't have the exact model number or specs handy since it's no longer in production), the other is a Daiwa Eliminator EL-SA1303MHRS 13' surf rod.

The 6' is a bit old - the rod I used as a kid (not the greatest rod in the world, but I like the balance and the action) - the top ring got crushed in a door a long time ago, and is still attached (but useless).

The 13' actually belongs to my father-in-law, but it's mine to use if I fix it- the tip is completely gone so I don't even have anything to compare it to.

Any help would be appreciated- I'd like to ressurect an old friend, and try out a new one if I can.

Thanks!
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: How do I determine tip-top sizes?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
i had the same problem.  Just take it to any tackel shop and they will get you the correct size.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
I had a rod fixed earlier this year. From what it sounds like, it's a bit of a job to do. It takes about a week for several coats of epoxy to be applied and dry. I haven't had the tip replaced, but the three guides were done very well. They matched the thread and pattern very nicley and for about $7 per guide. Now, mind you I got the rod free, so to this day it only cost me $21 plus a reel. Maybe the tip is easier to replace, I just don't know.
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
For the rod tip there is a gauge that is used.  It is only a hunk of plastic that has progressivly larger holes in it.  The hole that the tip fits into is the size needed.  There are numbers on the gauge that tell the size of the tip. 

If you are replacing the tip that is a very easy fix.  Just get the ferrel cement from a tackle shop or even WalMart.  It's probalby about a buck or two.  It looks like a glue stick that goes into a glue gun.  I don't know where the gauge is sold, I have had mine for years and haven't seen them lately, then again, I haven't looked for them either.

Good luck on your repair.

Joe

PS, most tackle shops can do this while you wait and it is not expensive at all.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline vespo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
Yeah, a few people I've asked about it in person have said it's a very easy repair to do. I've seen the tip top repair kits in wal-mart, that include the glue and one or two tops that are obviously way too small for my rods so that's no help.

I'll have to try the shop I've been going to in Bound Brook, they have a lot of gear, and if I search around enough and still can't find what I need, I guess I'll cave in and pay them to do it.

One of my rods will eventually need new guides, but should last at least another year or two, so I have time to learn how to do that part myself (I'm a sucker for do it yourself projects... you know, it starts with me thinking the baby's room needs new baseboard molding and baloons into redoing the entire room right down to the floors...)
Vinny Esposito
---------------------
When your boss tells you to skip work to go fishing, it's time to shut up and fish!

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm right there with ya. The more I think about it-the tip is probably very easy.
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
Hi guys,

The tip top us easy to replace especially if you are not going to be fancy and do a wrap behind it.

Just heat the metal tip top ferrule not to hot you just want to melt the glue that holds it to the blank.

Remove it with a pair of pliers it will be hot so be careful.  You can take it to any tackle shop of your choice that handles rod making supplies they will size it for you and sell you a new one.

Remember to purchase a stick of cement or if you have a hot glue gun it is the same stuff.

Put some glue into the ferrules and take a lighter and slightly heat up the end of the ferrule and slip over the blank let it cool and your ready to go again.  You could also use Flexcoat epoxy to attach it as well, but I have always used the glue gun cement  If I were you, pickup Flexcoat rod finish and coat the area with that to seal everything up.  This has to be rotated if you put too much on so use sparingly in thin coats.

Happy Catching

Paul 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-