Author Topic: Help Me Decide  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Help Me Decide
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:10 AM »
So next year I'll be turning 50. I already informed the wife (and have her permission  ::)) to go on a 4-7 day fishing trip. So I'm thinking of my options and having a hard time in deciding. So here is what I'm thinking so far.

NOTE: choices are subject to change  ;D

#1-Costa Rica. I have a fraternity brother who runs a charter operation down there and is affiliated with the Casa Roland Lodge. I can get a VERY good rate on a boat (little over $1000 for a full day offshore) and room ($70/night). But in order to make it really doable I would really need to have at least 4 others come down with me. Would like to do at least 3 days of fishing, 4 would be better. Try and get a pacific blue marlin, black marlin, pacific sailfish, mahi, wahoo & yellowfin tuna offshore and do a day inshore for rooster fish, snappers.

#2-Alaska. Always wanted to go there & will eventually. Only negative I can think of is that the number of different species is limited (salmon, halibut & lingcod)--not that is a bad thing but would like to target & catch as many species as possible.

#3-Florida Keys. Although I've fished there several time sin the past it has always been day trips either when I lived in south Florida or visited on vacation with the family. This time it would be for 4-7 days days of solid fishing. Many different styles of fishing; offshore, wreck/reef, back-country, shark fishing, sword fishing, flats.
Right now at least in my mind, this option holds a slightly lead.

Other options; Stay here in NJ and go some trips that I've wanted to (head back to the canyon, a tile fish trip, day trips up to RI, Va. etc.or just have the luxury doing some top rate charters, Few days on the Outer Banks (fished there twice already, Venice Louisiana (offshore & inshore fishing available) & Cabo San Lucas.

So let me hear some feed back.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:55:59 AM by Skolmann »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Help Me Decide
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
#1-Costa Rica t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
Don't leave Hawaii out.  Check out the state records on this site.

http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records.cfm

There are reasonable rates to be had out there as well.  Plus you don't need a passport to get away either.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »
Alaska would be my choice,

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
Coasta Rica  t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »
I vote for #1 Doc  TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
I'll second the Alaska choice. Everyone I spoke to who have gone say they wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

You may not have a wide variety, but you don't want to spread yourself out too thin either trying for too many species.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »
I'd like to get to Alaska someday as well, and preferably before it gets covered in oil. ;D

However, I think I'd like to hit Costa Rica first.

Good luck wherever you choose to go! t^

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
 t^ t^    #2     t^ t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »
I guess it depends on what you're looking for too...

Weather is a con for Alaska and a pro for CR. There won't be any bikini watching while having a few cervesas in the sun in Alaska.

Personally, I'm not interested in billfishing and would rather catch Salmon and trout and have the opportunity to see Grizzly bears and Orcas in the wild.

Not to make your decicion more complicated but have you considered the east coast of CR for Tarpon and Permit?

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

Not to make your decicion more complicated but have you considered the east coast of CR for Tarpon and Permit?

My frat brothers' lodge/charter operation is in Los Suenos on the west coast of CR, no tarpon on that side. (http://www.costaricafishingstore.com/el-conquistador/our-fishing-team.html).

Weather not so much of an issue.

I would like to catch all 9 billfish species in my lifetime. Only have 8 left, as I have an Atlantic blue marlin to my name.

As I said in my original post, if I do opt for CR to make it more economical I'd need at least 4 (or 5 to make a complete 6 pack-but if there is a total of more than 6 I think he said we could get a second boat for the same rate-but I'd have to double check on that) others to go with me (they'd also get the same rate I'd be getting)..so anyone interested?

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
I just saw you mentioned Venice LA in your post.

I've been there and it was great. Caught Reds, trout, sheepshead and the occasional largemouth bass all day for 3 days. Didn't go offshore but I saw the boats unloading thier catches of tuna, Mahi snapper etc every day.

I'd recomend staying at one of the fishing lodges there. The one I stayed at was destroyed by Katrina.

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
Here's my thoughts.
I've been to Costa Rica a couple of times and I wasn't that impressed. We caught some sailfish and had a few shots at marlin, roosters and caught mahi and jacks.
Been to the Keys and fishing was good, but really only sailfish as far as billfishn and they're small. Caught tarpon, barracuda, yellow tail, blackfin tuna, different kinds of snappers and grouper.
Been to Cabo and caught tuna and striped marlin.  Probably a good shot at other marlin there too along with roosters.
Haven't been to Alaska, but would love to go someday.
Guatamala was my favorite trip.  Caught several sails, some marlin(one @ 454lbs), dolphin, tuna, jacks and others.

To sum it up, all the trips were good, but for the fishing alone I would go back to Guatamala.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Looked into Guatamala and it's a little pricey for me.

Main reason, I'm looking at CR is because I have a connection there & I can get a good deal on a charter(s)/room.

I'm not so much into targeting just billfish (although I certainly wont mind catching them) but rather I want to catch a wide variety of species as well as do different styles of fishing.

I love the Keys and hope to have a small place there one day. I've fished there many times and have done well but many times those trips were from party boats, bridges, wading...still allot of fishing styles left to be done down there.

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Costa Rica has some great fishing.  It probably depends the captain more than anything.  A good captain will get you on the fish and will be able to do more than just troll around.
Good luck wherever you go.  I haven't been to Los Suenos, but it could be hot.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
Another thing to consider is that your CR connection may not be available years from now for some reason and this could be your chance to go for a good price.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
go somewhere where you can catch a giant trevally on top water then head to the drop and live line for dogtooth tuna!!! Fiji anyone??? I would go back to Florida or Costa Rica, I like species diversity too
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Axehandle

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
go somewhere where you can catch a giant trevally on top water then head to the drop and live line for dogtooth tuna!!! Fiji anyone??? I would go back to Florida or Costa Rica, I like species diversity too

here's a link for you
http://oceanbluefishing.com.au/
I FISH therefore I am.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Outside shot at going to Australia and New Zealand as my wife is scheduled to go on a business trip to both next year. She already told me that if she has enough frequent flyer miles that I could go.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

here's a link for you
http://oceanbluefishing.com.au/

that link is my ultimate fishing destination  ;D  t^

Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-