Author Topic: Sea Tow Automated Radio Check  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
Sea Tow Automated Radio Check
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »
Maybe everyone knows this but it the first time I heard about it.

http://www.seatow.com/boating_safety/ARC.asp

In areas across the country, Sea Tow is offering boaters a new way to conduct radio checks that doesn't require help from other boaters or watch standers. To use Sea Tow's free Automated Radio Check service, simply tune your VHF radio to the appropriate channel for your location and conduct a radio check as you typically would. Upon releasing your radio's microphone, the system will play an automated message and relay your transmission back to you, thereby letting you know that boaters can hear you loud and clear.

They have service from Maine to Virginia.Here are some channel numbers for New Jersey.
SEATow Manasquan 24-
SEATOW northern New Jersey-27
SEATOW Atlantic City-26 S
AETOW central New Jersey-27
SEATOW Sea Isle-26
SEATOW delaware river26

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Sea Tow Automated Radio Check
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
 Heard of it. Haven't used it yet though.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
Very Cool t^

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
 slt  never heard of it, but thanks to you i now have Awesome...Thank you Capt. chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »
Thanks Phil good info t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline sealife

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
To test the DSC function you can try this.  Works from Gulf of Mexico to Sandy Hook.

TowBoatUS Provides Free DSC-VHF Radio Checks For Boaters
In Gulf, FL, Atlantic Coast
New Service to Ensure Your High-Tech Radio is Working Properly

ALEXANDRIA, Va. June 18, 2009 – With some help from TowBoatUS companies on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from Alabama to New Jersey, recreational boaters will now get peace of mind knowing they have correctly installed their new Digital Selective Calling (DSC) VHF marine radio - and it’s functional.  A free, DSC-VHF radio check service is now being offered under a single TowBoatUS digital hailing number, 0-338-04000, which allows boaters to easily call their local TowBoatUS tower for a complimentary DSC-VHF radio check.

The TowBoatUS 0-338-04000 MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) number is available to boaters hailing from the Gulf Coast at Mobile, AL, Florida and the Atlantic coast up to Sandy Hook, NJ.  When this number is “dialed” on a DSC-VHF radio keypad, a boater will automatically be connected to the closest TowBoatUS port or response boat within radio range.

"By helping to ensure that this lifesaving device is working properly, we improve boaters’ safety.  That’s important to all of us," said BoatUS Vice President of Towing Services Jerry Cardarelli.

While nearly all fixed mount VHF radios sold today are DSC equipped, boaters have reported that it can be hard to complete a digital radio check unless they have the MMSI of another boater.

DSC-VHF radios offer significant safety improvements over a standard VHF radio.  A DSC-VHF includes a mayday distress button that allows anyone on board to summon emergency help.  When connected to a GPS, the radio will give rescuers your exact location information.

In addition, these radios work seamlessly with the US Coast Guard’s modern “Rescue 21” system, now operating on the Gulf Coast, Florida and Eastern seaboard up to Long Island, NY.  More regions are scheduled to get Rescue 21 service throughout 2009-2011.  The system already has proven to greatly reduce search times for boaters seeking rescue.  These new radios also offer more improved telephone-like enhancements, such as “direct” calling.

If you’d like to learn more about DSC-VHF radios, go to the free, online DSC-VHF tutorial at http://www.BoatUS.com/mmsi where you can also register to receive an MMSI number for your own DSC radio.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:28:10 AM »
Was on a shakedown cruise on my buddy's boat yesterday afternoon.  He didn't know if his radio was working or not.  We tuned to 27, requested a radio check, and sure enough, it was working.  Cool feature.  t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
 clp clp Hat's off to Sea Tow for this service. I heard about it through the local Sea Tow Cap down my way here in Mystic. You also here yourself making the request for the radio check. Great for audio and signal check.
Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »
 TT^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
 clp clp clp  it works awesome tried it friday a few times.Its nice to know ur radio works when fishin the ocean.Thanks sea tow for doin this and thanks to my fellow capt. on NJSWF for informing me! chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
 clp slt clp slt clp clp
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-