Author Topic: The Florida Fisherman does it again:  (Read 3486 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
The Florida Fisherman does it again:
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
 clp
Fifty miles South of the Elbow in 225 feet water:
Our 39 hour Hubbard's Marina, Florida Fisherman, trip this weekend was different. Instead of heading North West to the Florida Middle Grounds, we pulled out of John's Pass and immediately headed South West. Hopefully we could get away from the now, thanks for nothing NOAA, out of season American red snapper. We were looking for mutton, vermillion, yellow tail snapper, as well as the battling amber jack. We were ready for a fight.
In preparation for the great battles that were sure to follow, many regulars, instead of buying pin fish, catch these scrappy little devils either in traps, or on hook and line. Master long time experts, such as Dave, prefers traps, Mutton catcher, jack pot winner, Craig Scott uses hook & line. Boy did those AJ's ever put a good old Southern hurting on Dave. No worry! Dave knows how to relax.
We had a wonderful trip out. The weather was picture perfect. The roar of those two big old 1,150 HP Caterpillar diesels was pure music to our ears. And, as if that was not enough, our on board chef, Miss Tammy Koota, stuffed us with the best 1/3 pound cheese burgers in the entire universe. Gosh! What a life, and we even get to go fishing.
Speaking of fishing, take a look at that fish finder; talk about a classic ledge filled with fish. Problem was it was ever so difficult to get our offering, cut Spanish sardines, past those hungry, per NOAA...near extinct, American red snapper. looks like Lady Jane forgot to tell them they were in such bad shape. We were fifty miles South of the Elbow, and still, as on the Middle Grounds way to the North, the ARS were everywhere. We were fishing from 180 to 225 feet of water, too deep for mangrove snapper, but perfect for mutton, vermilion, and yellow tail snapper; not to mention the fighting machine known simply as amber jack (AJ). Want a battle of a life time? Try this monster! Are you man, or woman enough? Mister AJ says he can beat you. Mister Richard Dawson, Carol Kisner, & Mary Grasso decided if Dave could do it, so could they. Those fighting machines gave them their all, but, man power, as well as women power, won out in the long run. Good going guys & gals! You are credits to our sport. Grilled amber jack is becoming a Southern tradition. A tradition earned through battling this monster of the deep.
The vermillion snapper were not only plentiful, but big.They were running as large as mangrove snapper, and were there for the taking. It was never a question if they could be caught, but how many do you want? Vermilion snapper, sometimes called B Liners, are extremely good eating. They, like amber jack, are deep water fish. Next week we will, once again, be fishing the Florida Middle Grounds. We will not catch, as we did this time, over a dozen muttons; however, we will catch both vermillion & mangrove snapper. Next weekend can't come soon enough!
Bill Grasso & Craig Scott both caught very impressive muttons. Good going guys! Thanks Captain Hubbard for constantly finding the fish for us.
We also caught many yellow tail snapper. We do not see very many yellow tail, or mutton snapper on the Middle Grounds. Contrary to what we are constantly being told, the Gulf of Mexico is loaded with fish. If we go South we see muttons & yellow tail; North, towards the Middle Grounds, we see mangrove snapper, gag grouper, amber jacks, and tons of American red snapper. We who fish on the water, not from behind the desk, know what is actually our there. We know what is in 225 feet of water to the South, as well as 100 miles to the North. How much do you know, NOAA? Bob H.
Dave catches pin fish:

Dave puts pins to work, James gaffes AJ:

AJ did a number on Dave:

What we were looking at all day. Look @ the fish on that ledge:

Gaffing Richard's AJ:

Richard is proud of his AJ:

Mary Grasso battles a large AJ:

Mary won the big fight:

Carol Kisner fought ARS & AJ's

Gaffing Brent's ARS:

The battle was at last won:

What a monster, thanks Vince

Bill Grasso's nice mutton snapper:

Craig Scott catches muttons again:

James shows off our yellow tail snapper:

Chef Tammy is proud of her Chicken Alfredo:

What a proud crew:
Captain Mark Hubbard (L), Professional mates. Vince, Will, James

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: The Florida Fisherman does it again:
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
That's some good fishing there....super job!!!

Not to mention the great picture spread you put up  clp clp

Nice pile of fish in the last one t^

Thanks for sharing....

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »
 whs t^

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »
 whs exactly
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline Fireman Ed

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »
 wts
IBSP #4333-1 Gray Ford F-150. Go Big or Go home empty handed!!

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »
 clp
Thank you sir. We in Florida, as does the Garden State, have so much to offer. I  subscribed to the Big Fishing Journal , NJ, in order to learn more about the completely different kind of fishing you have to offer. It is great that you take an interest in what we in Florida have to offer. Regardless if in New England or Florida, we are all sportsmen; as such, we, as you, are in a fight for our very existence. We need you as much as you need us. Together, we can, and will, win this battle.
Bob Harbison  Native Florida life long fisherman and hunter

Offline bolt

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
I enjoyed this post so much I registered here.
I fished this boat many years ago when Jeff's dad ran the boat. Captain Wilson Hubbard has a spot on the local TV and there were times when I won the pool and was able to show off to my friends and family as they usually had a shot of the pool winner on with Hubbards fishing report.The methods have not changed much as we used sardines and pin fish then.I also remember armorflex being bought on board buy some tin knockers to help them wrestle them AJs and  blacks.In those days a guy came to the dock with a scale on the back of a truck and bought your catch and everyone had so much fish you can usually pay for your trip and have enough to feed the neighbors.I remember one type of grouper  was the sweetest and it had gold colored fins I want to say it was a gag but it has been many years.
That area has changed drastically in 25 years and I am sure Jeff can tell you how it was one dock with a small bait house..
At any rate Thanks for the post!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
...That's Cool t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-