Author Topic: thinking of moving my boat from lockwood to shark river???  (Read 4970 times)

Offline mikedan1

thinking of moving my boat from lockwood to shark river???
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »
Im yhinking of moving my boat further south, im currently at lockwood marina. I hear the fishing is much better around the shark river area.Is this true? I enjoy bottom fishing.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: thinking of moving my boat from lockwood to shark river???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
Shark River is close to several reefs. Sea Girt reef (approx 4 miles) and Axel Carlson (approx 8 miles) to the south and and Sandy Hook reef (approx 11 miles) to the north. Don't forget the Shrewsbury Rocks (about 10 miles) just south of the Sandy Hook reef and you have the Shark River reef further offshore (approx 15 miles).

If it's bottom fishing you want, that would be a good move.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mikedan1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
how is the bass fishing, the raritan bay is great in the spring.what is a good marina? I currently own a 21' century cc, looking to upgrade to a 25' walk around.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »
Good marina??? not sure what you mean by that....you have many good places to keep ur boat...depends on what type of fishin ur lookin to do.  We used to launch at kmb but cut our travel time by 30 minutes launchin at atlantic highlands...might be a good idea to go south cause right now just porgies and the such are eating in sandy hook bay
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline mikedan1

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
Im looking to find a marina for next spring, I have been fishing the raritan for more than 40 years. Its time for a change, I find myself making the long trek to the schrewsbury rocks 3 to 4 times a year. I know there are a number of marinas there, which would you recommend?

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
We used to run from keyport to the ocean  looooong ride that used to be......You got leanardo atlantic highlands and gateway plus a few more naveasink or anglers.......farther south you got so many in pt pleasent,belmar, shark river and a few more....if your looking to fish the ocean the most the quickest way there is the southern inlets.....out the inlet(s) ur there...........

Ps...ive fished out of shark river i do have to say its nice there
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline sealife

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
Are you keeping the boat on a trailer or in a slip?  Brys in neptune has some slips and they have a fenced in yard for boat storage with use of the ramp.  The other place I would look at if you want a slip would be Shark Island Yacht club where the Irish Eyes is.  Short ride to the inlet from either but the back channel is shoaling in.  About 11 miles to the Shrewsbury Rocks but if you draw an 11 mile arc from the inlet there is a great deal of structure to fish.  Three artificial reefs and any number of rock piles.

Offline mikedan1

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »
i want a slip, its time for a change.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
AP's is advertising some nice rates for 2012. I am looking at their rack storage right now.

I am not familar with Shark River at all. It sounds like bottom fishing is great. Are there close areas(within 20 miles or so) for mid summer tuna/bonito/dolphin? I am having a hell of a time deciding where I want to plant the boat next year too!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
Pop's Soul (Skip) has his boat on the rack at AP's marina. He's been there for years. Should be able to provide excellent intel when he sees this.

Mud hole is pretty much a straight shot out the inlet for inshore tuna/bonito/dolphin. About a 15-20 mile ride.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
Thanks, waiting with baited (pun intended) breath. If I recall from looking at a chart there seems to be a good deal of deep water or lumps within close proximity.

Every time I think I found a place to keep my boat for next season a better or closer place comes up.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Think Big

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
I've been in Shark river now three years. They are right about the back channel but it's not that bad. A moon tide is bad in the spring for two hours. The one thing that I noticed is there are days you could fish the bay that you are not going to be able to fish the ocean. Good Luck George

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
The one thing that I noticed is there are days you could fish the bay that you are not going to be able to fish the ocean. Good Luck George

Another important factor to keep in mind. t^
Mark

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
I made the move like five years ago from the bay to Shark River Yacht Club. I have not been disappointed at all. And I met Joe aka Irish Ayes there, what could be better, he's full of info.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Think Big

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
Southpaw I am also in Shark River Yacht Club on D dock. Those are some nice tuna.

Offline rossg

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
The bottom fishing is great to the North and a short ride. We catch large consistant fluke,seabass, and stripers.
Reefs, Rocks and wrecks all around a short ride. A good bunch of guys fish out of there. If you have any questions give me a shout.
Capt Ross
The Lady J
Belmar NJ

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »
Southpaw I am also in Shark River Yacht Club on D dock. Those are some nice tuna.
Thanks, that was a private charter a few years ago. How long have you been on D dock, and whats the name of your boat?
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Think Big

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
This will be my 3rd season there. The boat name is my screen name Think Big

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-