Author Topic: minor striper questions  (Read 2415 times)

Offline rycher

minor striper questions
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
As always, nagging questions haunt me so i go to the pro's  slt

thanks in advance for your insights, i move closer to my first striper with each post...i hope  :headscra:

Re:

1)orange floats on striper rigs, yes or no?

I have seen/use them with and without, looking for opinions. I like that they keep the crabs away but not at the expense of keeping fish away too..

2)Sand worms: Best in spring or fall? I have a pack of Gulp worms ive yet to open (@$10 a bag want to be sure im usin em right)

2b) in hooking worms, thread em or just hook the head?

3)Hooks: Bait hooks? circle hooks? I have been using bait hooks and seem to be missing alot of hits with them, will 5/0,6/0 circles be better?

4)clams: are 'clean' clams purchased in a pint 'salted'? would 'fresh' be much different?

4b) is it worth "freezing" unused clams in the pint for next trip or best to discard?
"...knowledge, is it worth such torment..."

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: minor striper questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
No orange floats,circle hooks, use REAl worms, fresh clams, thread the worm about a third of the way then loop the rest. Clams in spring bunker in fall.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
This is only my opinion No orange floats never used them never will..

Seems clams are better now,worms work tho.We thread them up the hook,not just the head...

We use prefab striper rigs with bait hooks not circle,Altho they will work to.

As for the clam part. We use fresh clams bought that morning/evening or from one of the day clamers im friends with..

When done We either throw them in the drink or if i feel like carring them We'll freeze them....
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »
Far from a pro but I'll take a stab.   

1)I don't think the orange floats help, so I never use them.  Less is more.

2) Sandworms and bloodworms are great bait for bass.  Not sure if they are any better in certain seasons more than others.
2b) If your using worms, I'd at least hook a few times and leave a piece hanging off to look attractive.  If you don't hook enough, you risk losing your bait upon casting.

3) For bait fishing, I use around an 8/0 hook.  Circles are great to use, but you have to learn NOT to set the hook when using them.  They set themselves, once you let the fish take the bait, and apply pressure to the line.

4)  For bait, fresh is always better.  I try and steer away from the salted stuff, although I have caught on stinky "in the shell" clams.
4B) Whatever bait I don't use on my trip, gets given away to the nearest fisherman. 

Don't forget about the trusty ol' bunker chunk either as bait!

Hope this helps.  I'm sure many other will provide some more insight.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:25:25 AM by SurfJockey »
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
Hope this helps

Orange Floats, no never used them.

Sand Worms Early Spring and the Fall, I put on 2 real and one fake.  Thread them on the hook through head so the flutter naturally.

Circle Hooks or J hooks, I use circles as many of my anglers have limited experience, with a circle you dont need to strike the fish. J hooks are great I mostly use them myself.

Clams can be used Spring and Fall (but you have to offer waht the fish are feeding on) caught many fish on frozen salted clams, but fresh is always better.

I shuck and freeze all my extra clams, at the least I will chop them up and chum with them while smacking clams, or put the frozen clams in my chum bucket lowered to the bottom

Bob

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »
1)orange floats on striper rigs, yes or no?  No

I have seen/use them with and without, looking for opinions. I like that they keep the crabs away but not at the expense of keeping fish away too..

2)Sand worms: Best in spring or fall? I have a pack of Gulp worms ive yet to open (@$10 a bag want to be sure im usin em right)  Best in spring

2b) in hooking worms, thread em or just hook the head?  Thread

3)Hooks: Bait hooks? circle hooks? I have been using bait hooks and seem to be missing alot of hits with them, will 5/0,6/0 circles be better?  Bait hooks if you're paying attention, circles if you're not

4)clams: are 'clean' clams purchased in a pint 'salted'? You will need to ask where you buy them.  Some might be freshly shucked, while others may be salted.  However, salted generally look darker.  would 'fresh' be much different? Choose fresh (in the shell whenever possible).

4b) is it worth "freezing" unused clams in the pint for next trip or best to discard? If they are kept cool and out of the sun you can freeze them.  If they are not salted already, make sure you salt them up before you do.  There will be days that you will be unable to secure fresh clams and these will be your next best option.

t^

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
Never used the floats. Sandworms catch more fish but bunker catch bigger fish. I use a 4/0 bait holder hook and thread the worm on as far as it goes to cover up the hook. There's usually about 3 or 4 inches of the worm that still hangs off. Haven't really used clams so I can't help there.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
forget about the the minor stripers, you can't keep 'em- go for the big ones they make for better stories to your buds

No orange floats,circle hooks, use REAL worms, fresh clams, thread the worm about a third of the way then loop the rest. Clams in spring bunker in fall.

in general  whs

fresh clams always if you are gonna clam
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:31:53 PM by wb »

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »

Re:

2)Sand worms: Best in spring or fall? I have a pack of Gulp worms ive yet to open (@$10 a bag want to be sure im usin em right)

3)Hooks: Bait hooks? circle hooks? I have been using bait hooks and seem to be missing alot of hits with them, will 5/0,6/0 circles be better?

4)clams: are 'clean' clams purchased in a pint 'salted'? would 'fresh' be much different?

4b) is it worth "freezing" unused clams in the pint for next trip or best to discard?

IMHO...

1) No need for a float in the vast majority of situations, especially this time of year. only exeption might be when there are tons of crabs around, but how often does that happen in oct/nov...

2)Spring, save them
2b) depends on the size.  if using large whole ones, you probably want to hook them multiple time thru the middle, letting both ends dangle

3)Baitholders should be fine, but if you switch to circles, 8/0 or 9/0 would be better

4 + 4b) fresh is always better, but youve gotta use what you can get your hands on

Hope this helps alittle

GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
As always, nagging questions haunt me so i go to the pro's  slt

thanks in advance for your insights, i move closer to my first striper with each post...i hope  :headscra:

Re:

1.  NO FLOATS
2. Sand Worms in the spring along with bunker.. in the fall you can use sand worms along with eels. Clams are used all year.
3. I do not like Circle.  I hook up much better with J hooks.  I put both to the test already on the same day, same boat, and my hook ups were 10-1 better with J hooks.
4. Buy a bushel of ocean clams, alive.  Shuck some, dice them, and chum with it.. Shuck the others and bait your hook with it.  ONly freeze the clams for chum.  I shuck all unused clams from one trip, freeze them, then I use them for chum for my next trip.  Always bait with fresh clams.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:47:42 PM by Luna Sea 4 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-