Author Topic: New World Record Striped Bass  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
New World Record Striped Bass
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »
Atlantic City is no longer the home of world-record striped bass; Connecticut fish authorized

Press of Atlantic City  Oct 19, 2011
by Mike Shepherd

Albert McReynolds no longer owns the world striped bass record.

The former Atlantic City resident held it with a 78-pound, 8-ounce striper he caught on Sept. 21, 1982 until Wednesday morning when the International Game Fish Association approved an 81 pound, 14 ounce heavyweight from Connecticut angler Greg Myerson.

"Good for him," McReynolds said Wednesday from his new fishing headquarters in Naples, Fla. "It's really wonderful. Now people in Connecticut have something to shout about."

Jack Vitek, world-record coordinator, met with IGFA president Rob Kramer and conservation director Jason Schratwieser early Wednesday to go over the details one more time, and then authorized the record. Vitek said the IGFA recently requested what he called testimonials from Myerson and the weighmaster that certified the catch

"Greg complied with all the regulations," Vitek said. "We've gone over it plenty of times."

Myerson's bass was caught Aug. 4 in Long Island Sound. It also will be listed by the IGFA as an 80-pound test line record.

McReynolds stays in the record book because he caught his striper with 20-pound test line.

McReynolds caught his striper on an Atlantic City jetty, and was certified at then Campbell Marine in Northfield.

"That's part of history now," McReynolds said. "It makes me want to get my fishing rod and go fishing (for bass). I know there is a 100-pounder out there."

McReynolds has had some health problems, but still goes fishing on the pier at Naples. He said pompano, king mackerel, Spanish mackerel, tarpoon are among the species that swim past the pier.

He says he puts on his sandals, sunglasses and straw hat and heads to the pier. And, he added, it is free to senior citizens.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/fishing_boating/atlantic-city-is-no-longer-the-home-of-world-record/article_7f1c75d4-fa6a-11e0-8304-001cc4c002e0.html

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: New World Record Striped Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »
 t^ cfzd

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »
 t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »
 chrz
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
 t^
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »
let's bring it back to nj guys!
Z

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
 whs chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
 cfzd cfzd    WOW     cfzd cfzd
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »
 I Did not write this but i thought it was a third persons opinion and whats the difference between the biggest and second biggest striper weighed wondering if it adds up..Great fish,both of them

Greg Myerson was using live eels. That's a tactic only used by "meat fishermen" who are trying to catch fish for a living. Anyone can hook a Striper on live eels. It's the same thing as leaving bait for bears or salt for deer and then shooting them when they show up. Al McReynolds used a six-inch Rebel, and anyone who knows fishing will tell you its far harder to fool a Striper with a lure than bait.
Myerson was using 50-pound test and a boat rod crank reel. Who goes Striper fishing with 50-pound test and boat rod? McReynolds used 30-pound test and an old green Penn spinning reel.
Myerson was in a boat. McReynolds was standing on the end of a jetty in a lightening storm.
Myerson used a net. McReynolds reached into the water and grabbed his fish through the gills.
This was a big female breeding fish that should have been allowed to live. All those guys with man-crushes on Myerson need to there's a difference between killing fish and sports fishing.

Hate to point this out but its true

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
O boy....  Here we go...  Always someone looking to stir things up..  IMO.. A Record.. Is a Record.. all rules were followed.. which makes it a record t^

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »
O boy....  Here we go...  Always someone looking to stir things up..  IMO.. A Record.. Is a Record.. all rules were followed.. which makes it a record t^

nosmly No No No i saw it on a page. I was just wondering if its true? 5hrug  Either way its a new record and i  slt him for his catch! Its a beautiful fish and he should be DAM proud of it,I know i sure would be clp clp

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »
Yea.. I know you didn't write it.. t^

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
Exclusive report and numerous photos at Field & Stream www.fieldandstream.com

Heres where i found it. If posting that link is not cool, then by all means delete it.Cause I dont want to wake the sleepin giant. t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
 ;D t^

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
stir stir stir lol
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
I'm glad for him that his new World Record Striper is now officially the record.  chrz chrz

Sooner or later someone had to best the long standing record, and shame on the jealous ones that will look for ways to put the man down.  nosmly  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
A lot has changed in 30 yrs of striper fishing. Surf or boat ,that's one hell of a striper that Mr.Myerson caught on a rod/reel. I do believe his record will NOT last as long as the previous one. WE have big fish out there in our waters and 100 lbs is possible in the next few years. By the way ALL big stripers over 30 lbs are female.  ;D

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Seems like everyone who catches a world record (or potential world record) fish has to endure the same nonsense.

Capt. Joe, Eddie and I were just talking about this today, and what happened to Monica Oswald when she caught that huge fluke a few years back.  It's all just a bunch of envious fisherman who think that if they didn't catch the world record, then nobody deserves to catch it.

Even Al McReynolds' story was not believed (and still is not) by many.  I mean really, who throws a 6" Rebel on 30 lb. test during a raging Noreaster? ::) ;D

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
Fishermen and the internet combined  ::) All that aside, Mr. Myerson has had quite a run the last few years as evidenced thru the Striper Cup and On the Water Magazine.He earned this one guys ! Eels and bunker catch big fish .  Artificials have their place too ! Fly rods too. I heard something about a potential new line class record striper this week off NJ in a boat. Fall run is on  ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-