Author Topic: HOW bad is it?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline rycher

HOW bad is it?
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
Seems I picked a great season to begin stripper hunting.

Though I'm not giving up yet, it does look grim.

My question to the veterans, is this THE worst season you've seen? in past 5 years?? 10 years???

Though alot of people are quoting water temps, Montauk temps are similar yet bite seems on there. What ever the reason, we know the bite is way off.

Just curious is all.
"...knowledge, is it worth such torment..."

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: HOW bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
As with all fish, The right conditions must be in place for them to migrate,feed and breed. Right now the water temp. is not what you would consider "ideal". There are fish being caught and there is baitfish but the "bite" is just not here yet.

In my opinion...Irene stired up alot of the waters from hundreds of miles away. We had a killer fluke run up here in shb,after irene, Zip. I think it stirred it up a little more then we all think and it will take time for it all to settle back down.

If you look back a few years, we had a good striper run around this time not that we dont havem now just not as thick. Plus we had a good spring run..Matter of fact we had a great run of many fish,till irene.

Like i said thats my opinion. In time we will have that famous  fall striper run maybe bring the record back to "dirty jersey" TT^ 
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: HOW bad is it?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
The fall striper run is far from predictable. Some years it will start in September, others late October.

As you said, they are still having a good catch in Montauk. That shows that the fish have not made their southern run yet. When the water temps dip (as they are now) the striper fishing will pick up here as the fish will make their move down. Hard to say how long they will stay in our area, depends on many variable including water temp and availability of a food source for them.

Don't give up by any means. The best is yet to come.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-