Author Topic: What a way to end the gag season!  (Read 11082 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
What a way to end the gag season!
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
What a way to end the gag season:
The Florida Fisherman, Hubbard's Marina, challenges the mighty gag for the last time this season. Will our trip be successful? A full boat load of excited anglers sure hope so.
Our first step is to see Joey for our ticket. Then, Leslie, the dock master, makes sure we know what to expect. The more we know, the better. Just as you go into the office there is a tank with beautiful Maine lobsters. Want one? A lot of people win these prizes, what a meal?
3 P M, Finally, the wait is over. Boy! are we ready to go. The excitement level is off the chart. We are going deep into then very heart of the Florida Middle Grounds.
First things first! That Tammy cheese burger put us in the mood for a good long rest. After all, fighting those monsters of the Grounds requires a great deal of energy.
1 A M Saturday morning: Captain Hubbard eases back on those huge Caterpillar diesels; we are ready, are the fish?
The bite was, by our standards, pretty slow, never-the-less, beautiful, very healthy fish were hitting the deck. I saw gags, red grouper, mangrove & vermilion snapper. One of our large fish boxes was already beaming with color, what a sight. A bright moon over the Grounds, real sportsmen/women, and a steady stream of fish. It just does not get any better. Oh No! I spoke too soon. Here comes Tammy with a tray of, just off the grill, grilled ham & cheese sandwiches. What a life.

Before breakfast one of our three fish boxes is almost full. Ever see an African Pompano? What a fighter. This monster gave Steve Muenzel a real battle. The darn thing swam in circles as it was coming up. Sure was a sight to behold. Saw some beautiful yellow tail snapper. Jeff caught a real monster. Mister David Underwood also caught a beautiful yellow tail. They are really some kind of fish.
And, speaking of gags: Will, our first mate, loves to show off our gags. Can you blame him?
Mister Mike May & Leo Smith had a real battle keeping those darn gag away from their home. But, guess what? They were up to the challenge. What fish! what a fight! We sure kept our mates busy. Not only was the gag count growing, but the red grouper numbers were also impressive. Mister Robert Brooks (therobertbrooks) had a field day with red grouper, mangos, and amber jacks. Robert was especially proud of his red grouper. Mister Peter Bernstein caught a really big red grouper. Way to go guys! Those mates sure were kept busy.
By early afternoon our number one fish box was full. The early afternoon bite was very slow, time to rest our tired out bodies. Later on that evening we decided it was time to put our mates to work. More gags, red grouper, mangos, vermilion snapper, amber jacks, and the American red snapper were hungry. We, being the sportsmen we are, did not want the poor darlings to go to bed hungry. Mister Leo Smith led the charge. At first I thought the American red was going to win this battle. Then I thought...now wait just on moment, this is an X Marine we are talking about...the toughest of the tough! Sure enough the Marines won, I think, Leo looked pretty beat. Even this Marine knew he had been in a real battle.
James, one of our professional mates, called to our attention a big hunk that had been bitten our of the back of an ARS. It was healed over. Now that was one hardy fish.
Mister Robert Brooks just would not stop. He and Mister Dave Hallas kept at it all day long, what fighters. Guess the Florida Middle Grounds tends to make fighters out of all of us. The Grounds are really that good. More often than not, the Florida Middle Grounds offer the adventure of a life time.
Dinner time: time for Tammy to shine. Good old Southern chicken & yellow rice is very hard, if not impossible, to beat. The transplant from New Jersey, Miss Tammy (Hahn) Koota did
herself & us proud. What a meal! Still, even though we were stuffed, the fishing continued. The mango bite Saturday evening was good. In all, we managed to fill two of our three fish boxes.
Show off time:
What a proud group: On the (L) Mister Leo Smith; on the (R) Mister Tony Baker, and in the middle, more proud anglers.
And then the Sunday morning mountain of fish: James (L), Joe, & Captain Mark Hubbard are ever so proud...so are we!
Ever see a Big eyed soldier fish? This was the very first one we have ever seen on the Florida Fisherman.
What a way to end the gag season! Hope we get a real season next year.
I love to share what we in the Sunshine State have to offer. As such, I have been posting on the forum, "Salt Water Fisherman NJ." The people of the North have shown such an interest that I have published a detailed description of, Florida's Fabulous Middle Grounds, "Our Heritage, Our Life, Our Florida Middle Grounds," in New Jersey's the edge "Big Game Fishing Journal," November-December addition. The Journal is a must read for everyone interested in saving our sport. President/Senior Editor, Captain Len Belcaro's editorials are, simply put, the best in the business. Captain Len is afraid of no one! He takes on the big boys on a very regular basis. In the current issue, the good Captain tackles the Florida Gulf Council. "The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council's push for Sector Separation, Catch Shares, and a Recreational Fishing Shutdown," provides a virtual wealth of information. I intend to study every word, and keep this, and every issue, for future reference. The more we all know, the better we can fight for our great sport!
Bob Harbison native Florida Sportsman...and darn proud of it.
First we get our ticket:

Leslie, dock master, orientation:

How about a chance for a lobster before we go:

We are good & ready:

Steve Muenzel is proud of his African Pompano:

Will shows off a fine gag:

Mike May is proud of his gag:

Leo Smith loves to catch gags:

Joe & James love to show off our gags:

Robert Brooks is proud of is red grouper:

Peter Bernstein catches them big:

James (Monkey) is proud of our reds:

Jeff sure was proud of this huge yellow tail snapper:

Mister David Underwood also likes to catch yellow tails:

American reds:
Leo Smith and a fine ARS:

Landing an ARS

First mate will shows off ARS:

Something took a hunk out of this one:

Robert Brooks showed us how to catch mangrove snapper:

Dave Hallas loves to catch mangos:

Joe knows that the Grounds grows big mangos:

AJ's
Robert Brooks had a field day:

James, Monkey, is proud of this one:

Joe gaffed this monster for us:

Dinner time...Chicken & yellow rice:

Leo Smith (L), Tony Baker (R) & a proud group of successful anglers in the middle:

James, Joe, Captain Hubbard, & Will are ever so proud:

Big eyed soldier fish:

Our Florida Middle Grounds:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:44:24 AM by harbison »

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: What a way to end the gag season!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing...

great writing/reporting and pictures...Felt like I was there t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
Great report! t^  Do you catch those grouper on jigs?

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
Some real beauties there t^ t^ Very cool.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »
You Need an NJSWF Shirt..  If you promise to wear it and take a picture with it on one of your trips... it's yours t^

I have XL and XXL  Pm  me your address

Pees Make me want to throw-up... :-X

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:22:41 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
Great report and photos.  I have to try that fishery sometime.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:46:40 AM »
Thanks so much. It is peoples like you that make me want to put so much time into these reports. On my last two trip I have not even wet a ling; too busy interviewing people & taking pictures. You make it all worth while.
The grouper were all caught on live pin fish. However, we often catch them, on butterfly gigs.
A few months ago I had the pleasure of fishing next to two gentlemen from NJ. I was honored! They are mentioned in my article in the Big Game Fishing Journal, published in NJ. The Journal for November / December just hit the stands. It is full of information that every fisherman should know.  

Our Chef, Tammy (Hahn) Knot, a NJ native, will be in South NJ, Tuckerton Area, November 15 - 29. She would love to do some fishing while visiting the Garden State. Tammy ask me to pass along her phone # in hopes that someone could take her fishing:
  (813) 310-0339.
Shirt: Would love to have one.  Not sure how to send PM's on here. Have no problem sharing my address:
   Size  XXL
Bob Harbison
4907 Timberlan St.
Tampa, Florida  33624
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:10:59 PM by harbison »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
Shirt and some other goodies shipping out  t^
Now were gunna need a picture of you in it on the boat.  t^
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:33:48 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
Very nice report and Pictures look great! TT^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
excellent. clp clp clp
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »
 clp
Those darn fronts are slowing down or fishing. I am, weather permitting, booked for December 9, 30. In addition, most of January & February. Will have picture of me in shirt ASAP! Our Florida Middle Grounds defies the imagination.
In the mean time, I am preparing to go wild boar hunting. We have some real monsters in Florida.  Bob H.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
Nice.

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
Nice variety of fish on those trips. That boar looks really good on the grill. t^
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Words could never adequately describe wild boar fresh off the grill!  I have hog hunting trips planned for 11/28 & 12/2. The grill will be used. 
I love to use a smoker also. That hickory wood flavor is something to behold.

Ever hear of swamp cabbage? I am not too familiar with that. Hopefully, some fellow forum members will be able to tell us more.  Bob H.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »
Dam cant wait for our florida trip. gonna swing by and jump on...some time next year. t^

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:49 AM »
 grtn
"Dam cant wait for our florida trip. gonna swing by and jump on...some time next year"
Hold on a minute. OK! I am back. Had to turn up the AC. It's only the middle of November...our Winter does not start for another month.
Sure hope you have a chance to do some serious fishing. Our Chef, Tammy, hails from NJ. In addition, I have personally had the pleasure of fishing with people from the Garden State. They exemplified what we call good old Southern hospitality. Sir, it would be an honor to have you join me on the Florida Fisherman.  Bob H.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:43:14 AM by harbison »

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »
 clp
I am feeling very close to the people of New Jersey.  Thanks for the beautiful T shirt. Will send pictures with me wearing it ASAP. I am booked on the Florida Fisherman December 9, 30, hopefully, weather permitting,  then.  I will ask Tammy, our chef, to be in the picture with me. Tammy comes from the great State of New Jersey.  Note that big Florida bore next to my new T shirt. My late wife, Thelma, shot it.
I have placed the stickers, in a place of honor...next to my University of Tampa alumni sticker, on my truck.
   Let's build a lasting bond between the sportsmen/women of NJ & Florida.  
   Bob H.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:48:51 PM by harbison »

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
As it will be for us.......Nice pictures....And its great to sea other peoples catchs from different states..... t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
 clp clp

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
 clp
"And its great to sea other peoples catchs from different states..... "
Could not agree more!   We in Florida are every bit as interested in what you catch as you are in our fishing. We all, regardless of the location, love our great sport. As an example, I have never caught a cod. Sure would like to know more about catching them. Bob H.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-