Author Topic: Fishing Tomorrow, 11/17  (Read 2218 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Fishing Tomorrow, 11/17
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
Hey all just looking for a little friendly advice. I am planning on heading out of Manasquan inlet tomorrow, 11/17 with a friend. We are not species specific but, instead would just like to have a good day on the water picking up some quality meat.

I know the stripers have been south near Seaside but, the bite seems to be very early in the day. We will not be able to hit the water until probably about 0900 at the earliest. Because of the late start I was thinking we might just have our best luck togging and sea bass on the Sea Girt Reef and other local wrecks.

Whats the thought of the group? Is the Sea Girt Reef tog producing this time of year?

Thanks!

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline bossross

Re: Fishing Tomorrow, 11/17
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
I'd head south to IBSP....you're right that the crazy bite has been in the early morning. But we have been getting fish there all day....trolling. The early bite is a jig-fest. If you can troll, you can catch fish steady there. Troll either shads or tubes in 50ft of water. Watch for the birds and try and troll on the outskirts of the birds. I bet you catch your limit.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
Thabks for the intel. Is that the same area as Seaside? I don't have outriggers or outrodders either. Is it still possible to catch them w/the rod in the gunwale mount? I have NO trolling experience so any help would be appreciated. Also, I don't have those rigs either - all I got is Ava's. Can they be trolled?

Offline bossross

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
You can troll without outrodders (although it is easier with them), stick the rod in the rod holder in the gunnel. One on either side. I would not troll an ava jig. If you can get some basic umbrella rigs that would be good. if you're trolling with mono or braid, add some weight (buy a 8oz drail when you buy the umbrella rigs)

Otherwise go get a few Stretch 25s or 30s and troll those. No weight needed for those.

Like I said 50ft of water, 3 knots.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
 whs  good luck   i troll with one rod on each side in the stern rod holder.
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »
 t^ GOOD LUCK  t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
Good Luck!! t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline bossross

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
how'd you make out?

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Well we made it out yesterday... (It just dawned on me that it was 11/18 and not 11/17 as in my post).

We headed out of the inlet pretty late, probably near 10:45 or so armed with greenies and a newly bought umbrella rig. Again, because of the late start we decided to hit the reef to dip the greenies in hopes of some good tog. Got to the area to find snotty conditions. We tried countles times to anchor on some structure but could not get the anchor to hold at all. I even tried the reef hook that I made the night before but, it too failed. me. Since we couldn't hold bottom we decided to go the IBSP area.

We got to IBSP to find many private and party boats. With some of the info that was previously given to me we rigged the umbrella rig and began our troll in about 55' of water. Within minutes the rod tip was down and the action starting. Reeled in a blue to about 12#. We made quick work of him and swung the rig over the side to get right back at it. As I swung it over I watched it fall into the darkness...... NO LONGER ATTACHED TO THE LINE! WTF!!! I have no clue what happened.  rgmn

So, now we're without trolling rig but, I remember I had some Bass Kandy so we rigged a couple and tried improvising but, no bites.

Even after those headaches it was still another great day on the water. It's not so much about the fish for me but, more so the experience. I managed to learn a few more things and will be prepared for next year's season much more than I am now.

Again, thanks for the info!

Off to the Columbus Mart with a list....

1) Heavier anchor
2) More anchor chain
3) Umbrella rigs

Offline bossross

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
Well at least now you have the basics.

If you're going to troll more, I'd suggest that you look into a basic wire line set up and invest in outrodders, both of those things make a big difference.
(clipping the rig on the line helps too!) ;D
(by the way, that's happened to me too)

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-