Author Topic: "It's finally here!"  (Read 5866 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
"It's finally here!"
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
Well! "It's finally here," November. For many of us this marks the beginning of the best time of our year, hunting season. We in Florida are so fortunate to have many public lands. The Florida management areas offer, for a most affordable fee, some very good hunting. For the more serious hunter, clubs & outfitters offer tremendous opportunities for that real trophy, our hunt of a life time.
I personally have hunted deer & bear in Maine, elk, and bear in New Mexico, and the famous "Black belt" area of Alabama. After over 1/2 a century of hunting I will take Florida wild boar hunting over anything, anywhere, I have ever hunted. The thrill of the stalk, or sitting in a blind & hearing footsteps approach, then you can even hear them breathing. The noise their ears make when they shake their heads is, to say the least, fascinating!
Monday morning, time to visit Tiger island Outfitters, Cedar Key, Florida. I check into the cutest little cabin you have ever seen. Boy was it warm inside. One thing, watch that darn little basset hound named, "Cornbread." I found out the hard way...Cornbread loves TV dinners.
Tiger Island is under fence; however, the hogs are wild & free running in a very large area. They are as hard to harvest as any hogs I have ever hunted. These dudes are not just wild, they are very wild, and smart.
Shall I stalk hunt, hunt from a tree stand or blind. I know I can walk the oaks all day long and never see the same tree twice. However, it's raining, think I will hunt from a nice dry hut. My guide for the evening hunt, Mister Joey Henderson, recommended a hut overlooking a very active corn feeder. Joey took me to my hut, and what a hut it was. Hog signs were everywhere. Even after doing this stuff for a lifetime, my excitement level was off the chart. Will the rain force the brutes to hold up, or make them more active? I have seen it do both.
After about an hour I see my first sign of activity. Hogs! Only problem was they were way off, but headed my way. Closer, closer, they came. Will I get a shot? Do they know I am here? Are they teasing me? This one lone boar, around 100 pounds, appears and looks directly at me in my hut. If I even think about moving, he will disappear in a cloud of dust. Finally, the smell of that golden corn gets the best of this boar; he puts his head down to indulge, time to pick up my gun. Ever so slowly I make my move. Even though I am concealed in my hut, he sees the movement, I freeze. We play out this cat & mouse, rather hog game, for what seems like an eternity. Finally I shoulder my Ruger #1, put the cross hears of my Leupold 3x9 scope just under his right ear, gently touch the trigger & send that massive 45//70, 335 gr., Hornady on its way. What a shot, hog down & out. I call Joey on my radio. He arrives, congratulates me and take this fine animal and me back to my cozy little camp. I shut the door good & tight; that darn "Cornbread" would like nothing better than to make my dinner disappear! A good hot shower, fine meal, and one excited hunter hits the nice warm bed. Think I will do this again in the morning.
6:30 Tuesday morning: I am greeted by two young men, Mister Joey Henderson, & Mister Javis George, my guides for the morning hunt. Let's take a look at the hut I hunted yesterday evening. Has it been hit again? I must say the place was devastated, fresh hog tracks & rooting all over the place. I want to hunt this place. The sun was shinning but boy was it ever cold. This should make the hogs frisky, and hungry. About fifteen minutes after settling into my cozy little hut, I see hogs, hungry hogs. Cute little 50-60 pound BQ size hogs are all over the place. They are actually fighting over the corn. I watch in amazement; what a sight! Then, still in the woods, I see this much bigger boar. I don't think this trophy is going to give me a shot. I raise that Ruger & wait, and wait, and wait. I see his massive outline, but never a clear, put him on the ground, shot. Then, ever so slowly, this monster with the big teeth shows himself. BAM! in an instant it's all over. I call Joey & Javis. This boar is big. They use a winch to load my prize.
Back to camp: Mister Crichton Allen, along with wife Tracy, own Tiger Island Outfitters. Crichton immediately invites me into his house. He is as excited as I am. He wants to hear all about my hunt. Boy did we have a lot to talk about. In the mean time, Joey & Javis expertly quartered my hogs, put them into my very large ice box, loaded them with ice, and put this stuffed hog ice box into the bed of my truck. So long for now! Time to head back to Tampa. I will be back. "It's finally here!"
Bob Harbison Florida native, live long sportsman.
Cutest, well equipped cabin:

What a neat little hut.

Note all the hog tracks, tree stand in back ground:

My Monday evening boar; what a shot:

Tuesday morning. Guides Joey & Javis admire my trophy. Note all the hog tracks:

I am proud of this one; Javis checks out my beauty:

Me & my trophy. Had to use the winch to load this sucker:

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: "It's finally here!"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
Hunting?  YUCK... lol.. This is a fishing site....   smk t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »
 whs
"Non-fishing Discussions...Anything that is on your mind!"
In Florida, as in NJ, we not only fish; we hunt!   Bob H.  clp

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
It was a joke.  Hence my thumbs up in the post. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
 slt
Thank you sir.  Guess with the recent passing of my daughter, it's kina hard for me to think straight.
I do much more fishing than hunting. I love both. I follow this wonderful forum constantly. I find reading about the great fishing in NJ very interesting. Would love to know more about hunting opportunities in the Garden State. We are all, Northern or Southern, joined in good sportsmanship. Take care my Northern friend,   Bob H.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:06:51 AM by harbison »

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
Ummmmmmmm BACON t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
 t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
 ;D clp t^

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
Nice rifle you got there TT^  The deer season starts here in a few day for shot gun. I used to hunt in tweeksbury some nice deer taken out of them woods a bunch of 4 and 6 pointers all the time with a few 8's in there. The old owners sold half to a builder and he put up million dollars home and the hunting hasn't been the same since.

I would love to go for one of them hogs.I dont think we have them any where close to me.They do look delicious.Must be some feeling when your staring at a hog thats ready to run at ya.The BOOM.. you got a feast clp clp
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
That's one of the best reports I have read..   Congrads on the hog..   Your daughter must be smiling down upon you.  keep doing whatyou doing! clp
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
 whs  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
These dudes are mean & big!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Thank you sir. Betty will always be part of me.
It's a shame what is happening to your great hunting lands. We have the very same problem here in Florida. Guess all sportsmen/women are under attack. On land we have the developers; on water we have NOAA.  
It's a shame you do not have hogs to hunt. They have the nose of a beagle, and are recognized as one of the smartest animals in the woods. Their # 1 downfall is their belly. They sure love to eat. And, to make things more exciting, they do not particularly like the idea of being shot. I have had them come after me numerous times. One time I was in my truck on a 4 X 4 dirt road. Saw this monster in front of me; that dude was looking for a fight. I got out of my truck and blasted him. This beast charged me, hit the door of my truck, and knocked me back into the truck. He went around back, turned around, came around front looking for me. That was a very fatal mistake on his part. Yes! Hunting the wild boar is a challenge, and definitely not for the faint of heart. You never know for sure who is going to get whom.  These dudes are mean & big! Bob H.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:53:29 PM by harbison »

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
 cfzd Nice.... Great Pictures...........Sure would love to hunt for some of them. Maybe one day ill get a chance. Thats a great report.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »
We Florida crackers  would be honored to have the sportsmen/women of NJ hog hunt with us.
Hogs are very tough to bring down. And, in addition, a wounded hog can be very dangerous. I use a gun that really brings them down. I have always been a Ruger & an old Western movies fan. I choose a Ruger single shot # 1 chambered in the very powerful 45/70.The 45/70 round was first used with black powder as a buffalo gun. Many gatlin guns also used what was, and still is, known as the Government 45/70.

I love my Ruger #1. I would not trade it for any gun  on the market.

A good reason to use a 45/70 while hog hunting. Those teeth are razor sharp and they are experts at using them.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:39:24 PM by harbison »

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:26:34 AM »
Absolutely outstanding report!  Thanks for sharing TT^

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
My mouth is watering. Looks delish! TT^
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
 clp whs clp  SMELLS LIKE BACON    clp
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »
Awesome Bob simply Awesome cant wait  till june.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
Great report and a nice hog to boot  chrz
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
 clp
From a fellow hunter:
"please continue to share, you had an excellent hunt and I felt like I was right there beside you. My wife and I both love to hunt the hogs and really enjoyed reading about your hunt. THANKS, standing by for your next adventure."

My response:

Sir, I will be sure to share my adventures with you. Not exactly sure when I will get a chance to visit Tiger Island again. I intend on going as soon & as often as possible. Gosh! I love hog hunting.
In the mean time, I am scheduled, weather permitting, to fish the Middle Grounds December 9 & 30. Be sure to check out my fishing report.
You are extremely fortunate to have a wife that hunts. Thelma, my wife of 39 years, enjoyed hunting as much as I do. Both Thelma & my daughter, Betty, are now hunting hogs together in heaven. Please sir, cherish your wife & family as I did mine. Bob
(Thelma took pride in out-hunting me!)

Our fishing trip, 12/9. Be sure to check out my full report in  the Traveling Angler section;
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:24:55 AM by harbison »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-