Author Topic: Hot during the cold of December  (Read 4125 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Hot during the cold of December
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
 wa
Full moon time once again. That means snapper go crazy at night, at least we hope so.
Will the Florida Middle Grounds be hot during the cold of December? Who knows?
The thirty or so anglers and crew of the Florida Fisherman, Hubbard's Marina, sure hope so. The Florida is ready, and so are we. Let's go!  
Before we depart, Vince, our first mate, goes over safety procedures with us. This is required by the Coast Guard. Vince sure explains things well. Some of us like to use live pin fish for AJ's. The Florida has individual live wells. Mister Leo Smith, a regular, sure hopes those little critters attract big AJ's. Leo was a marine; he does not play games; he is,"First in battle!" That is the AJ battle. Bet here is that this marine wins. We are very fortunate to have two highly motivated, skilled, FWC biologist, Butch & Jon, going with us. They collect actual on the water data. Current, accurate data is available. We on the Florida know it; we see it collected. These men never stop. They are on the go constantly. What a pleasure to have them, as we often do, with us.
As we leave we are inspired by the miles of white sandy Florida beaches. Why would anyone want to live anyplace else? We have not only sun bleached beaches, but the Florida Middle Grounds, some of the best fishing in the world. We will be fishing deep into the very heart of the Grounds. But first, how about a good old Southern BBQ pork sandwich before hitting that comfortable bunk. After all, just thinking about all the fish we will be catching makes us hungry and tired. That bunk sure looks inviting. Good night!
One A.M. Saturday morning, Captain Mark Hubbard slows down those two huge Caterpillar diesels. Time to attack the tricky mangrove snapper, sometimes called bait thieves. Those little rascals were, as predicted, hungry and tricky. However, we immediately began catching some real beauties, not too fast, but steady. Young Master Hubbard, Captain Mark's son, was with us. He, as did many of us, had a very respectful stringer of mangos even before the sun decided to "Try" to make an appearance. Actually, we saw very little sun shine the entire day. In addition, it was pretty darn rough all day long. That big old catamaran, the Florida Fisherman, was really appreciated. It took everything in stride. Boy! is this fun. On the Grounds, even the porgies grow big. Joe, our professional mate, sometimes cannot believe the size of the porgies we are catching.
Catching all those fish sure makes one hungry; Tammy to the rescue. Her breakfast sandwiches are tops.
We are having a little problem. Those "Near extinct" gags, American red snapper, and the way over-fished AJ's,  do not know they are in such bad shape. They simply will not let us alone. Poor Mister Todd Conard, I felt so sorry for him, they would not leave him alone. Not only did he catch gags, but also, before he was finished, eight amber jacks. Todd was in fishing spot number twenty, next to me. Over & over those fighting machines were pinning this poor man to the rail of the Florida. What a problem! Joe, our fine young mate, loves to show off our gags & AJ's. He really likes this stuff, and it shows.
Captain Hubbard decided to visit one of the many wrecks that call the Florida Middle Grounds home. All of a sudden the Florida's fish finder lit up, AJ's were literally stacked up under the boat. Our marine, Mister Leo Smith, put those pin fish to work. This marine gave no quarters. Even the mighty amber jack fell to his persistent endeavor; they met their match. Boy did we keep our mates, Vince & Joe busy. They know how to gaff fish; we gave them plenty of practice. Ever see an almaco jack? Now that is a different fish. No telling what the Florida Middle Grounds will turn up next. Not only was this wreck loaded with over-grown AJ's, but also American red snapper of all sizes. I saw mango size ARS clear up to monsters. Mister Cliff Vandenbusch, along with Bill Gahan, and Larry Kidd, just to name a few, really put a good old Southern hurting on those beautiful red fighting machines. Hard to believe they too are in such danger.
We kept our FWC professionals, Butch & Jon, busy day & night. Until you have seen how hard these dedicated biologist work, you would not believe anyone could possibly do what they do. How can they keep it up? They worked from way before sun-up, to after dark, virtually non stop. It is easy to tell they really care! Butch & Jon tagged & vented over 180 fish on this one trip alone. Many gags, American reds, and red grouper were tagged. Can't help but wonder where they will show up next. These men need all the help they can get. The best way we can help is to, as soon as possible, report any fish we catch with a tag in it. The number to call is on the tag. The FWC rewards us with a very nice "T" shirt for every tag reported. What a win, win situation for one and all.
The good peoples of New Jersey are very interested in Florida Fishing, in our Middle Grounds. A forum in the Garden State offered to send me a N J "T" shirt if I would wear it & take a picture with our great catch. No problem! Tammy, our resident chef on the Florida is a transplant from the great State of New Jersey. Naturally, I could not resist having her pose with me. Thank you New Jersey! Sure would like to hear about some of your fishing. Ever catch a cod?
Well, as all good things must come to an end, we must say so-long to the fabulous Florida Middle Grounds. Isn't it time to go back again? Surely it must be!
Will the Florida Middle Grounds be hot during the cold of December? Who knows? We do!
Hope you enjoy these pictures of our trip as much as I enjoy taking & sharing them: Bob H.

First Mate,Vince, goes over CG Regulations:

Leo Smith dumps pins:

FWC Biologist, Butch & Jon board:

Madeira Beach Florida:

Southern BBQ Pork:

My bunk:

Dylan Hubbard:

Joe & big porgy:

What a way to start the day:

Todd Conard & gag

Joe & gag:

AJ's on the fish finder:

Todd Conard pinned by an AJ:

Gaffing Todd's AJ:

Todd's AJ:

Gaffing Leo's AJ:

Leo & his AJ:

Joe is proud of our AJ's:

What an AJ:

Joe & Almaco jack:

Cliff Vandenbusch& ARS:

Bill Gahan & ARS

Larry Kidd & ARS;

Joe & ARS:

Log Book:

Butch & AJ:

Butch measures gag:

Butch tags gag:

Butch vents gag:

Butch & Jon, FWC, team up on ARS:

Tammy & Bob

Our catch:

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Hot during the cold of December
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
 ;D clp clp clp

I think you have the shirt on backwards ;D

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
Awesome report and trip. chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
Great reports and pics as usual Captain.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
 t^
Shirt:  Turned it around for the sake of the picture. Will wear it the correct way. I will cherish that shirt forever. Thank you so much.
Glad you liked my report. Sure put a great deal of time & effort into it. Knowing that people enjoy what I do makes every minute worthwhile!   Bob H.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
 t^ t^Great report and pictures. Nice shirt!
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
 ;D t^

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Another GREAT read TT^ TT^ TT^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »
 t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Love reading them Bob....Just an awesome job on the pictures t^ t^

NJSWF.com road trip TT^ TT^ I have Continental on hold....how may seats do we need??

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »
i love florida fishing... I did the keys a few times and it was totally outstanding
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-