Author Topic: Outdrive Metal?  (Read 4259 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Outdrive Metal?
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »
I winterized the boat a week or so ago (I hope I did it right  :-\ When I changed the outdrive fluid I noticed that there (A) did not seem to be very much of it and be it was a yellow'ish color. It was not milky nor was there obvious water in it. It did seem to be of adequate viscosity. On the drain magnet there was some fine metal shavings.

As I am new to owning an I/O I don't know what normal findings are. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Outdrive Metal?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
how much metal shavings?
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
It's hard to say.... They were very, very thin shavings (microns thick?). None were chunks or real thick.

Fred

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
Our old Grady had a stern drive.When we drained the fluid there was always very very very fine blackish shavings in their. Normal to see.Even my old boat have some to. I would look more in to the low oil issue.Either a seal or some one didn't fill it up all the way
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »
Our old Grady had a stern drive.When we drained the fluid there was always very very very fine blackish shavings in their. Normal to see.Even my old boat have some to. I would look more in to the low oil issue.Either a seal or some one didn't fill it up all the way

if it was a seal or bellows it would have sucked in wateri believe... causing the well known milky outdrive oil. seems more likely that somebody didnt fill it up all the way. But to be safe i would call matt From task marine as im not a mechanic just speaking from expierance of owning I/O's

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:14:50 PM by NJ Guy »
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Vacuum and pressure test. Have you noticed any type of leak?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:30:43 PM by Offshore Madness »
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
I winterized the boat a week or so ago (I hope I did it right  :-\ When I changed the outdrive fluid I noticed that there (A) did not seem to be very much of it and be it was a yellow'ish color. It was not milky nor was there obvious water in it. It did seem to be of adequate viscosity. On the drain magnet there was some fine metal shavings.

As I am new to owning an I/O I don't know what normal findings are. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Fred, How did you winterize the motor? I assume raw-water cooled. Add Stabil to boat fuel. Hopefully you have been using it all season. Start/run on hose to temp. Change oil/filter. I use Quicksilver 25w-40 in all Mercs as that is the newest recommendation from Mercury.  Start/run again. Shut off. Check oil level. Remove the water seperator and dump it in a clear glass jar. Great visual on whats been coming from the tank and hoses. Fill a New filter  with fresh gas and Stabil. Start/run and fog out til she stalls. Drain Block and Manifolds and any other hose or oil/power steering coolers that may hold water. Make sure the block and manifolds drain.  Add -50 non-tox anti-freeze til you see it come out of the block drains, then close them. Add some to the manifolds. Coat all external areas with Corrosion X. Lubricate linkage. Grease fittings.
Alpha One Drives hold a little over a quart of drive oil. Remember fill from the bottom drain screw and always use New washers. I use MerCruiser/Quicksilver Hi-Performance Gear Oil or equivalent in every gear case drain/re-fill I do and its what is recommended for that drive. It is semi-synthetic and  blue/greenish in color. Even if it gets water in it, it holds it lubricating properties much better.
On the drain magnet, I almost always see a very slight bit of metal shavings on most.
Without seeing the color of what you drained out its hard to judge what was in there.
Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
Thanks, Matt. I did winterize it pretty close to the way you described but, not 100%. I hope she makes it through the winter. I don't use stabil all year. What is the benefit?

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »
Thanks, Matt. I did winterize it pretty close to the way you described but, not 100%. I hope she makes it through the winter. I don't use stabil all year. What is the benefit?
For the benefit of winterizing, it at least makes sense to add it before or during your last trip so it gets a good sloshin with the fuel that is going to sit for a few months. I use it all season as I don't take chances with this ethanol.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:15:48 PM by Hotrod »

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-