Author Topic: One dead after fishing boat capsizes off Barnegat Light  (Read 8587 times)

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
One dead after fishing boat capsizes off Barnegat Light
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
http://www.app.com/article/20120111/NJNEWS/301110036/One-dead-after-fishing-boat-capsizes-off-Barnegat-Light?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

APP ARTICLE

One person died and another was saved after their fishing boat capsized about 10 miles offshore Tuesday night, the Coast Guard said.

The overnight rescue was set off at 11:15 p.m., when an emergency beacon was sent out from the Mandy Ness, a 44-foot fishing boat. The Coast Guard then issued an emergency broadcast which was picked up by the crew of a nearby fishing boat, the Francis Ann, which then headed toward the capsized boat, said Petty Officer 2nd Class Crystalynn Kneen, a Coast Guard spokeswoman.

While a Coast Guard helicopter and motor boat were en route, Francis Ann crewmembers pulled one of the two occupants from the water, she said. That person received medical attention on shore and was in good condition, Kneen said.

The other person was caught beneath the overturned hull and eventually pulled by a Coast Guard rescue diver who performed CPR on them. That person was taken by Coast Guard helicopter to the AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center campus in Pomona, where they were pronounced dead, Kneen said.

It is Coast Guard policy not to release the names of victims, she said.

The accident investigation is closed.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: One dead after fishing boat capsizes off Barnegat Light
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
Sad story.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Michygirl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
 :'( Damn shame...RIP
Michy

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Very sad

The Francis Ann, is that the boat from the swords fishing show?
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
Very sad

The Francis Ann, is that the boat from the swords fishing show?

I think so
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
Its always a sad day when the fishing community lose's one of our own...... :'(
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
Yup...sad news for sure.  nosmly
Sorry to hear this.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
 nosmly

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
 nosmly
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »
Has anyone seen any reports on possible reasons for the capsize? Were sea conditions bad? It is sad but, if a lesson could be learned it is a help for us all.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
 nosmly
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
Very sad nosmly

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
 nosmly :'(  Very sad   :'( nosmly
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
Has anyone seen any reports on possible reasons for the capsize? Were sea conditions bad? It is sad but, if a lesson could be learned it is a help for us all.

Fred

15 kt winds 3 foot seas nothing crazyyy for this time of year especially given the size of the vessel
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
You can never tell

My prayers go out to the family of our lost

Thank God they had an epirb !!

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
Channel 10 out of Philly confirmed that it was the same Frances Anne as the one on the Discovery Channel. Worst yet it was a family owned boat to them and the Captain that was killed (trapped) under the capsized boat was the brother of the Captain on the FA. Reports were calm waters. The Captain of the FA believes the vessel was struck by another. USCG is investigating.

Sad story

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »
I just saw this on the news. always sad to hear that!
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Ah Man... :-\ nosmly

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
 :'(
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »
UPDATED ARTICLE FROM:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/captain-of-barnegat-light--based-commercial-fishing-boat-dies/article_d568f800-3c4a-11e1-b3b1-001871e3ce6c.html

Trevor Horan was onboard the Mandy Ness with Capt. Jim Mears on a clear night Tuesday, under a full moon with 15-knot winds and 3-foot seas, when the vessel capsized. The cabin filled with water. Horan knew they had to get out.

That’s the terrifying story he told to his grandmother, Charlette Michels, of Stafford Township’s Ocean Acres. Michels tried to hold back tears Wednesday as she told the story her grandson had shared with her about his last minutes aboard the Mandy Ness. Mears, 54, of of Barnegat Light, was killed in the capsizing that occurred about 10 miles off Long Beach Island.

“He told me he was in the cabin and Captain Mears was below and was going to take a nap,” Michels said. “Trevor was knocked down when he felt something might have hit the boat, and he said he may have passed out.”

Horan, 22, of Stafford Township, told Michels that when he came to, he and Mears were submerged in water with about one foot of air. The men found a survival suit but could not put it on because they were both wet.

Michels said the men fumbled in the dark, flooded cabin for a light and finally used the strobe light attached to the survival suit. The men were submerged for about 45 minutes, Michels said her grandson told her.

“He told me he felt a window was knocked out and that it might have happened when they were possibly hit by a cargo ship,” she said.

Horan, a husband and father of a 2-year-old son named Ashton, stripped off his clothes in the frigid water so he wouldn’t get caught on anything during the escape, Michels said.

“He said, ‘Jimmy we’re going up. We’ve got to get out of here.’ He pushed himself out of the hole, but Jimmy didn’t come up,” Michels said of Mears.

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Crystalynn Kneen said an emergency positioning beacon sounded at about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday, alerting the Coast Guard that the boat, a 44-foot commercial monkfish-scalloper, was in distress. The beacon sends a position signal when it hits water, indicating a boat has capsized, Kneen said.

The Coast Guard sent a helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City in Egg Harbor Township, a 47-foot rescue boat from the Barnegat Light station and sounded an urgent marine broadcast alerting boaters in the area, Kneen said.

The Frances Anne was first on the scene and rescued Horan, who was treated on shore and released. Coast Guard rescue swimmers went into the 44-degree water in search of Mears. The rescue swimmers found him unresponsive in the capsized vessel.

Coast Guard rescuers performed CPR as Mears was flown to Atlantic City Air Station. He was then taken by ambulance to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Mainland Campus, in Galloway Township, where Mears was pronounced dead, Kneen said.

Mears was the father of two children.

The incident is under investigation by the Coast Guard.

Michels was in her living room when Horan returned from Southern Ocean Medical Center on Wednesday afternoon. She said her grandson had sought medical attention because he was having difficulty breathing and may have breathed in oil and water when the vessel was submerged.

Michels said Wednesday morning Horan was “stoic and quiet”.

She said Horan grew up fishing with his late grandfather, who had a boat. She said her grandson told her that he made it out alive because his grandfather was there with him.

“He has fished all of his life. I don’t know if he’ll go back out. I don’t want him to go back out there,” she said. “It’s so sad that we lost someone like Jim out there,” she said.

Mears’ brothers, Daniel and Rick, confirmed the identity of the deceased to a Press of Atlantic City reporter.

According to previous stories in The Press, Rick Mears was the captain of the Frances Anne, the 72-foot swordfish boat that arrived first on the scene. Also according to previous reports, Daniel Mears was the captain of the Monica, a commercial fishing boat based in Barnegat Light.

The Mandy Ness is out of the Lighthouse Marina in Barnegat Light, according to Kneen and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration fishing-catch-allocation reports.

The Frances Anne was featured on the Discovery Channel show “Swords,” which looked at life on a swordfish boat. Its home port is in Philadelphia, according to the Coast Guard, but the boat frequently works from Barnegat Light, according to its Facebook page.

Mears’ brothers Danny and Rick met with members of the media at the family’s Barnegat Light home, Danny clutching a framed photo of Mears and his family.

“We lost a great guy,” Rick Mears said.

“We lost our brother. This is a tough thing for all of us to go through,” Danny Mears said.

Frank Tomasco, manager of Lighthouse Marina, which is owned by the Mears family, spoke of Mears while trying to hold back tears.

“He was just a big goofball. He was always smiling,” Tomasco said.

Tomasco said that on Tuesday night, Mears and his crew member were out to sea, fishing for monkfish and would have been pulling into the dock Wednesday afternoon.

Tomasco noted Wednesday morning that the job is dangerous.

“Especially this time of year when the water is cold. But these guys don’t think about it, they just go,” he said.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-