Author Topic: Bucktail vs ball jig for fluke  (Read 15511 times)

Offline Quadruplecccc

Bucktail vs ball jig for fluke
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
I like making my own baits . Bucktailing works but a heavy bucktail for deep water requires a very large hook size.The ball jig however, can be rigged with a more suitable size hook.
Before I go buying a mold for either one , I would like to hear some pros and cons from those of you who have used both. thanks!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Bucktail vs ball jig for fluke
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the hook size.  I love my spro jigs, and they come with a very large hook.  If your fishing deep water for large fluke, they will inhale it no matter how big the hook is.  You can also put a smaller stinger hook on it if your still unsure of the hook up rate.  This will also allow you to catch some smaller fish, yet have the weight to go deep.  I personally like the bucktails better then the ball jigs. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:14:26 PM by Luna Sea 4 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »
would you be using the 6 to 8 ounce spros or heavier?

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
fishing a big jig requires a big teaser which requires an assist hook which you can make any size you want t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
Good info...

I have never targeted deep fluke. I assume from what I've read we're talking early year fluke from the reefs (subway cars/rock piles)??

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »
the size depends on the depth and current.  I like using the 4oz with a stinger hook.  If you need more weight, Add a 3way swivel and put on another spro.  I will use a 4oz and a 2oz spro if I need 6oz of weight or a 4oz and a 4oz spro if I need 8oz to reach bottom.  If I only need 6oz to get to the bottom, instead of using 1 spro at 6oz, just us 2 spros at 3oz.  The more bait you get down, the better the odds of hookup.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
6oz is the heaviest I use a 6oz spro is like an 8 oz sinker. I use a 1/2 or 3/4 oz spro for a teaser via a three way. the heavier your 2nd spro is the heavier the leader has to be too keep them apart so you dont get all twisted up.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
 just wondering,,, how often you gotta let him up for air?  rofla

and i'da thought he'd scare the fishes away, although the report could be better than even the best fish/depth finders out there.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Good info guys. This same process can work with any style bucktail tho, right? Why do prefer the Spro? Do you think it gets better action because of the where the line attachment point is?

On a side note: I just came back from Dick's Sporting Goods..... They had a bunch of Spro's (and other goodies) that weren't priced too badly. Of course I had to pick some up.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »
 i think spro's are hot right now cause of the color schemes. although they do swim nicely with the body shape compared to a round head.

lures have to things to catch,, 1st is to catch the fisherman, then the fish.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
I like the spro for the design, and like what is said above, using a 6oz spro is like using an 8ox weight because of the design.

As far as multiple spros getting tangled, there is a solution. 

Use a 3way swivel with a swivel snap on one of the sides.  Its like using a fluke rig where you have the snap swivel on it that you put your sinker on.  Replace the sinker with a bucktail of similar weight.

Keep one spro directly to the 3way swivel, then off the other end of that swivel, put a 4' leader with another bucktail.  If both bucktails have a leader on it, then yes, you will get tangled.

Every fluke rig out there that gives you the opportunity to put a weight on it, either a swivel, a loop, high low rig with the weight on the bottom, just always use a bucktail to replace the weight.  It gives you that second hook on any rig.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
I catch just about all my bucktail fluke on the stinger hook. I just rig a 2/0-3/0 baitholder hook an inch or two behind the shank of the main hook, and no matter how big the main hook is, I can still catch fluke on the stinger.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
I like where your going with that, the only thing for me is i like the teaser away from the main line 6" or so because i feel you may get more line bumps that urge you to set the hook too early scaring the fish away also i use the "t" style 3way and not the "y" style. it gives you a little more angle to keep the spros away. Fellinger Spro is a generic word for that style jig its not always spro brand. Theres an ultra minnow which do it molds makes thats almost identical. I get mine made fro a guy named jerry at the old mans tackle box he has good stuff for good prices. Thats what "The Fish Monger" uses and his deck shots dont lie. Hope that helps.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Keep checking this thread as Im sure Bob will have some more good info on this subject.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
Good info. How do you tie your stinger?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Good info. How do you tie your stinger?

they sell stinger hooks that get looked around the shank of the main hook.  I use a normal leader material and make a loop, then attach it to the main bucktail.  Sometime I use wire fishing line.  I cut a small piece off and just twist one end on the stinger and the other on the bucktail.  There are so many ways to do it. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
Nothing fancy for me. I'd spost a pic if i wasn't at school.  I tie the hook to a little piece of 50lb leader with a uni knot snell, then tie the other end to the center of the bend of the hook with my adaptation of a clinch knot.  Anyt knot that tightens around the shank tightly to minimize slippage will work there. 
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
I like the bucktail and use the Mai Tai or Spro.
 Weight depends on tide,current,depth and boat drift. Keep in mind if your fishing the sticky stuff you will lose tackle...all part of the sport.
There are a few different set ups as others have explained in detail;a lot of variaions off the basic rig.Consider braid with a top shot of mono,or braid to three way ,or no three way (kiss) and go with albright knot from braid to mono.
Substitute bucktails for sinkers or vice versa.
I saw a set up some where (Fisherman, I think) where guys are using a bank SINKER and making bucktails out of them now. As far as the  size of hook,Fluke can swallow some BIG baits.However,never used any hook larger than 7/0 8/0 on the BT.Cause thats how they are molded.Some people modify the mold to take a smaller size hook.
Good Luck. t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »
Stinger hook. Need hook, kevlar chord, shrink tube. Cut a 4" piece of chord tie an overhand knot at the tag end , before you tighten it put the tip of the hook in the center of the knot and pull tight up to the eye. Then take the loop end put it through the eye of the hook. Then cut a small piece of shrink tube about 1 1/2" slide it over the loop and over the eye about halfway splitting the shank and the chord and melt the tube. Easy and strong ant the stinger stays parallel to the jig t^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-