Author Topic: Engine help  (Read 3005 times)

Offline PHIL

Engine help
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
Looking to buy a 2005 boat with same year motor. A 2005 Yamaha 150hp. 4 stroke motor. Owner said he had engine rebuilt at 1200 hours. Since the rebuild it has 300 hours on it. Should I be concerned with the amount of hours on this motor? I'm not even sure what a rebuild consists of. Any input would be great. Thanks. 5hrug

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Re: Engine help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
Looking to buy a 2005 boat with same year motor. A 2005 Yamaha 150hp. 4 stroke motor. Owner said he had engine rebuilt at 1200 hours. Since the rebuild it has 300 hours on it. Should I be concerned with the amount of hours on this motor? I'm not even sure what a rebuild consists of. Any input would be great. Thanks. 5hrug

1200 Hours seems kind of low for a rebuild on a 4 stroke.  That's just my opinion.  Did he mention WHY it was rebuilt? 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
 whs
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
 :headscra: Why the rebuild?

Offline DJ76

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
ask to see a receipt.  if it was done at a shop chances are they know why and what caused.  if claims did himself...ask to see receipts on what was purchased so you can identify "what" consisted of a rebuild
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
I think Joe had around 3000 hours on his Yamaha before it was rebuilt. It could be the owners neglect to perform proper maintenance which caused premature failure.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
survey survey survey!  TT^ Best of luck alot of knowledgable guys on this site me i know nothing about outboards but wish you the best of luck!
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
I think Joe had around 3000 hours on his Yamaha before it was rebuilt. It could be the owners neglect to perform proper maintenance which caused premature failure.

That's my thinking.  Obviously motors fail prematurely from time to time even when maintained properly, but more often than not it's neglect that causes a need for such a premature rebuild.  And if they neglected it before, they probably did again after.  I'd be wary at the least. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
Many of the more recent o/b engines have capability to download run history to a laptop, (you need the cable and software) giving a report of how many hours it was run and at what rpms. It is helpful to know if the majority of those 300 or 1200 hours were trolling, WFO, or somewhere in between.

Perhaps a survey would include this info. Survey survey survey did I say survey?

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
 whs Not much to add. These guys have pretty much hit it right. Why the rebuild at such low hours? Who did the work? Receipts are a must and who they came from is important. Any kind of warranty still on the motor that would transfer over?
Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
always, Survey survey survey, I'm not sure if anyone above mentioned it already, but, Survey survey survey

I know someone if your interested.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-