Author Topic: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!  (Read 147343 times)

Offline Duffman

Re: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2007, 10:28:16 PM »
Its still a fire

Ruger314

« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
Someone find the article in the APP today??

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
Hi Joe,

I did not see it in Hook, Line and Sinker. I did not read every article yet. I did not see any bold headlines.

Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Not yet Joey,  I just checked online and did not see anything.   No APP papers in my hometown, they sell out on Friday's before 6am.  Going to boat this afternoon and should find an APP paper there.

If anybody finds anything, please post.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2007, 11:23:42 AM »
Hi Joe,

YES!

It is in the Sports section (Section C). The title is, "Rumors arise about potential record Fluke" by Karen Wall.

To be read later,

Ed

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
Hi All,

That fish has a high probability of being recognized as at least a NJ State record and probability an IGFA World Record.

1. The inspector saw no signs of it being from a dragger.

2. It was fresh as the gills were red and the eyes not sunk.

3. She will have to undergo a pre-emptive polygraph by The Fisherman.

4. She did a stupid thing by leaving the fish in the cooler ... that is that.

Let's see if she takes the polygraph.

Ed

Offline Fishing

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »
I joined this forum to give my take on this issue of the record fish.  I am an avid fisherperson and put in serious hours.

I need not accuse Monica of cheating.  I'll never know.  Monica might be a great person for all I know or a bad person, I don't care.  What I do know is that the fish in question is the worst looking fluke I've ever seen weighed in on the same day it was caught.  I've laid flounder on the decks for  over 12 hours, iced them for days, refrigerated them and even frozen them.  None has came out like that.  The neck is terrible, but the entire fish looks like it was drug behind a car on asphault.  The gills remaining red can happen even on an old or frozen fish so that is not the smoking gun of innocence. 

We have no picture of it alive - which would end this so all we have is the pictures when it was hung up shortly after the catch at the weigh station. Did she say how long it took from the catching of it to get to the weigh-in?

We've had experienced commerical and former commercial trawlers/netters on all the forums say that the fish certainly could be a netted fish. So one hopeful guy from the IGFA says otherwise and we are going to ignore all the intelligence the internet brings?  A picture speaks a thousand words friends.   

And has their been an answer to the neck happening from a bucktail being ripped out or the hanging on the scale?  And if so, why did she say the throat was mutilated from the bucktail if that was not the case? 

Folks there are too many mistakes here to have the fish accepted for a record or the Fisherman Contest.  If accepted, I totally believe the organizations will look silly and public trust in their programs will be questioned.

As for the polygraph, it means nothing.  People pass them all the time.  Many times they come out inconclusive.  Court doesn't make them admissable for a reason.  The pictures of the fish are the key for me most others. 

"Big Mistake" I was reading.  It would be a mistake to certify this fish.  There were too many mistakes in the dealings of this fish and the camera is the proof.  I don't know if she cheated and that doesn't matter, but you brought something to the scale that was uncared for.   

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »
Hey Fishing.  Welcome aboard.

I have remained Mum on most of this. But I will agree, there were some pretty careless actions on her part with such a fish as that.

Offline Fishing

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Hotrod.  You see my point, Maybe she caught it, maybe she didn't.  Doesn't matter and none of the other stuff matters.  Condition warrants diqualification.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
Hi Fishing,

Welcome to the site ...

You have valid points. However, this fish will be certified as a record in NJ and most likely by the IGFA as a world All Tackle record. It will be debated for a long time.

How about someone go and beat it (with video evidence) so we can move on to something else.

Thanks for your point of view,

Ed
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:04:46 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Fishing

« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Ed.

I'm not so sure it's a guarantee they'll certify it.  But the quotes from the guy who looked at it sounded positive.  Honestly, it doesn't exactly make me respect the criteria when the fish's appearance is of that.  The Fisherman Contest can do as they please though.

I agree with Ed, someone go beat it and a simple picture with it alive will work for me and weigh it in before it looks like hers.   

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »
Well, let's all be 100% perfect.  This is life.  Nothing is perfect.  Yes, the fish was not in pristine condition, but what does that matter?  What matter is; did she catch it or didn't she catch it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I think everyone picking at this with a fine tooth comb is rediculous.  Let her have her due.  Let someone else catch a larger fish and I guarantee there will be the same damn controversity.  But maybe this time the fish will look too good to be true.

Too many things went wrong?  To many things don't add up?  Mostly everything that I have read, expecially on the internet, is nothing more than hearsay.  Nothing that I have heard from the non-believers is fact.  Show me your FACTS, not something that someone heard!

BTW, welcome to the site Fishing.  t^

Offline pktaske

• Still Small Voice
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:05 PM »
What does a still picture of a fish alive look like thats different when its an hour or two dead?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2007, 09:08:11 PM »
What does a still picture of a fish alive look like thats different when its an hour or two dead?
They can tell by the color of the gills and the eyes on how long a fish has been dead for.  I am not sure what particulars they look for though, but I think that the redder the gills are, the fresher it is and the eyes sink in there head after they have been dead for a while.. I am sure Capt. Ed can enlighten us more on this topic since he is a fishing encyclopedia
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »
Hi All,

The IGFA has received the paperwork to certify Monica's Fluke and will make a determination within the next 2 months or so.

Just wanted to keep you all up to date!

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2007, 05:33:45 AM »
The questions, arguments and suspicion will most likely never totally go away.....if it is certified so-be-it, if not so-be-it.

We probably all now someone who was recognised for something that they did not deserve, but unless you can prove it nothing will be done.

The thing that really tic's me is the way this trophy was treated, it is a crying shame. The fish truly deserved better :'( :'(

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »
Hi Capt. Bob,

Well put!

Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »
 t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »

The thing that really tic's me is the way this trophy was treated, it is a crying shame. The fish truly deserved better :'( :'(

On this I could not agree more. 

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2007, 07:19:01 PM »
Did anyone else get to the read the article in Sunday's edition of the Newark Star Ledger?

Pretty much rehashed everything. The one theme of the article that I took exception to was the way it went on about how all the criticism and furry over the catch was made because a woman caught the fish. Let me go on the record here & now, my belief that this is a tainted record has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that a woman caught this fish. If a man caught it and had the similar circumstances surrounding it as well as past catches I would feel the same way.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-