Author Topic: abu 5500/5600  (Read 5633 times)

Offline bmxrider11976

abu 5500/5600
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
Hello all,

this is my first post here, and i couldn't find this answer anywhere. what im looking to see is if the abu 5500 or 5600 can handle bouncin bucktails to 6 ounces or holding bottom with 8 when out on a party boat. i normally only go out about 4 times a year, but im hoping i can have this reel double as a muskie reel, as i am just getting into that. ill probably end up pairing it with an inexpensive rod, maybe and ugly stik or a muskie rod of some sort. or if you have any other options or ideas for me, im open to suggestions. im only lookin to spend about 100-110 for both rod and reel. thanks for your help!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: abu 5500/5600
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
Either one of those reels should be fine. t^

Offline DJ76

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
My opinion its going to be tough to get a decent combo for about 100 bucks.  As far as reels go, I made the mistake of buying cheaper gear in the beginning only to find that you get what you pay for.

As far as an ugly stick, you can't go wrong with it. They are basically indestructible, especially for the cost. I fish with a lot of ugly sticks and they simply hold up.  HOWEVER, if you compare an ugly stick to some other manufacturers I think you'll find the weight of the rod is significantly more...not a big deal if your on a party boat and can rest the rod on the rail and your not casting every minute.  Now, with musky fishing you will probablly be casting spinners, cranks, etc. and trying to wing the lure all over the place...after a few hours your arms/back are going to feel it!

Its probablly not what you want to hear but i would think about one reel and two rods.  One rod for your saltwater fishing and the other for winging a lure around a lake or river all day.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
My opinion its going to be tough to get a decent combo for about 100 bucks.  As far as reels go, I made the mistake of buying cheaper gear in the beginning only to find that you get what you pay for.

As far as an ugly stick, you can't go wrong with it. They are basically indestructible, especially for the cost. I fish with a lot of ugly sticks and they simply hold up.  HOWEVER, if you compare an ugly stick to some other manufacturers I think you'll find the weight of the rod is significantly more...not a big deal if your on a party boat and can rest the rod on the rail and your not casting every minute.  Now, with musky fishing you will probablly be casting spinners, cranks, etc. and trying to wing the lure all over the place...after a few hours your arms/back are going to feel it!

Its probablly not what you want to hear but i would think about one reel and two rods.  One rod for your saltwater fishing and the other for winging a lure around a lake or river all day.

yeah that is a good idea. i am more concerned about the reel holding up to heavier weights. for a rod i was thinking about 7 foot mh would be decently suitable for bouncin bucktails or chrome balls, or fishing bait with 8 ounces

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »
I think the reel will be fine, I had some trouble with my Abu Ambassadeur brute 6600 and had it repaired, The gear became stripped but I was catching several 15lb to 25lb Striped Bass with it. The repair was covered under warrantee. I now know its limitations and use it for fluking up to 6oz bucktails. I admit that I own many reels and rods. You may want to check out the Shimano Corvalus 400, I have 3 Corvalus 300's and they have not given me any problems. The 400 is a little bigger. The ugly stick is a tough rod and will stand up to much abuse. I have 3 tiger sticks of various weights. They just don't have the feeling of the higher end rods like St.Croix, G-Loomis, Lamiglass. The tips on the Ugly sticks are very flexy, You do get what you pay for, so do some research and see what turns up.  Hope this helps and good luck. TT^

wa
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
anyone try the cardiff 400? i can get one used for about 70 bucks

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »

No, but looks just like a Corvalus
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
Ambasadeurs are my reel of choice. I have several and use them for everything. I like the 5500 for bay fluke and casting lures. For chunking and clamming stripers, I like the 6500 with the larger replacement handle. I've only muskie fished a couple of times and used a 6500 to catch 12 lb tiger muskies on big crankbaits.

IMO the 6500 is a better all around choice.

There are always tons of them on Ebay and you can get an older one for about 50 bucks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:07:39 PM by bassnblues »

Offline DJ76

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
 whs great point about the sensitivty of the rods!

My ugly's you basically don't feel a thing compared to my lamiglass tri-flex 7' mh  and my bass pro crankin stick 7' mh
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
yeah im a bass fisherman (largemouth, that is) so i know the importance of a sensitive rod. ive been looking into the 6500, and thats probably what i will end up purchasing. how heavy or a rod do you think i should go though? ounce ratings would be preferred in the answer. i know i can handle about 2 ounces with my abu garcia veritas (mh rated 3/8 to 1 or something close to that). but will a comparable rod be able to handle heavy weights?

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
I'd go with a 7 footer rated for 12-25 lb line and up to 2 or 3 oz weight.

I really like St Croix Premier series rods.

St Croix just came out with an inexpensive series called Triumph. I don'y have one but they seem real nice for the money.

Tsunmai Classic series are nice inexpensive rods.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:23:42 PM by bassnblues »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »

No, but looks just like a Corvalus

Corvalus is a good reel for the money. t^  The Cardiff is basically the same reel with an extra ball bearing.

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
well im torn! ive read some bad reviews from muskie guys on the corvalus, and by looking at pics i see it has some plastic parts( which is a no-no). i guess i will have to see what the bargain cave holds for me at cabelas next weekend! so many flea markets coming up as well, ill at least hold off pullin the trigger on a reel until at least my cabelas trip.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Every levelwind reel, from the cheapest to the most expensive, has plastic (actually nylon) parts in them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:54:06 AM by Bucktail »

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »
yeah but the push button is plastic and ive cracked one or two of them before, i think the side metal button would be a better call. i know almost all reels have plastic internal components

Offline DJ76

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
how heavy or a rod do you think i should go though? ounce ratings would be preferred in the answer. i know i can handle about 2 ounces with my abu garcia veritas (mh rated 3/8 to 1 or something close to that). but will a comparable rod be able to handle heavy weights?

My experience....I have the crankin stick 7' mh rated for 3/8 to 1-1/2 ounce lures.  I've placed 2 up to 4 ounce bucktails on it while flukin and it did okay with the 4 ounces.  I wouldn't go higher than that though.

What do you consider "heavy" weight?
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline bmxrider11976

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
i consider 8 to be heavy. i fish on party boats mostly (well, exclusively i guess) so it usually takes 8 to hold bottom when using bait. can normally do alright with a 5-6 ounce bucktail

Offline DJ76

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
than no, i don't think eight would work for those rods spoken about.

I just got an ugly stick tiger medium heavy rated for 30-60# line and placed an eight ounnce sinker on that and started casting in my back yard with the abu record that i just got as well and man that weight is heavy on there.  I couldn't imagine what eight ounces would do to my lighter rods. cfzd

I got that rod mainly for blackfishing on party boats and if I need heavier bucktails for flukin cause the four isn't holding.  Unfortunately haven't used that combo much except taking it out in round valley to see how it worked...but nothing heavier than two ounces so I can't give much feedback on it.
~Stephen B. Leacock

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-