Author Topic: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations  (Read 42693 times)

Offline fathergll

Re: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!

Yes, I don't understand when i hear all these comments that now they'll have to take back 5 fish at 17.5".

If you were good enough last year to take 8 at 18" then by all means you should be able to keep 5 fish at well over 17.5". Take back 5 at 18", take back 3 at 18" and 2 at 19"....etc. Thats why its called a minimum size guys as the Capt stated.

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

Ok...time for me to chime in....G.A.F. that was about the most far fetched comment i ever heard....the charter business does not survive on Fluke Fishing...its a Part of the overall picture...not the whole business.... Did all the Charter boats in New York go out of business  when they raised the Fluke size limit in New York? Hardly. I think the ridiculous price of gasoline will put fisherman out of business before a size limit will ...bit noone wants to talk about that.
We talk about losing 3 fish on the bag limit.....3 fish that very few ever caught to begin with......
The season length is about the same as last year...which everyone was happy as hell with.....now all of september isnt good enough all of a sudden?
For the last few years we all heard how much BS it was since the 18 inch limit was put into place.....now that its 17.5 thats all BS too?
We can all regulate ourselves if we want....17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!

very well said

gotta disagree nick... not about the 17.5 for me... its about going from 8 to 6 fish and looking at the future of possibly going to 3 which is a VERY GOOD POSSIBLITY.... seriously are you gonna take the Luna Sea 4 out of the slip for 3 fluke ???

if its about the longer/shorter season hurting the fluke numbers why didnt all the supporters just vote for option 6 then ?
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Cause option 6 is hanging in there for next year--only 2 fish at 17 :'( :'( :'(

And no offence to anyone--just looking at the past
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:43:39 PM by IKAT »

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »

EXACTLY MY POINT..... thanx
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline fathergll

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

I thought it was 3 fish?  ???

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
3 2 1 fish it dont matter where being gouged this benefits NO ONE. the longer season isnt what we wanted we wanted a later season no one really fishes fluke till late May or June.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

I thought it was 3 fish?  ???

Yes it was 3 BUt next year 5hrug 5hrug 5hrug

There is no give and take

Sorry yes there is--WE give They take fcp :'( :'(

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
3 2 1 fish it dont matter where being gouged this benefits NO ONE. the longer season isnt what we wanted we wanted a later season no one really fishes fluke till late May or June.

Southern Jersey does--as posted--you said water temps.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »

the longer season isnt what we wanted we wanted a later season no one really fishes fluke till late May or June.

Who is "we"? Southern NJ guys wanted the season to open in April, they didn't get that either. The middleground is Early May/Late Sept as it should be. Lets not forget all the storms that move through the fall are going to be wasted fishing days that still count.

Oh and finally, the water temps this year are well above average. I believe we already at Mid April water temps. 

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »

EXACTLY MY POINT..... thanx

Yea Broken We know how good you are on the Fluke chrz chrz--And by no means a dig towards you--go get-em t^ t^

Some concerns are the people that fish from land and in rivers that can't afford a boat or like me --getting to old to keep the upkeep anymore.

I would rather see the larger limits then less size--In my opinion-and only mine would be better for the future--As I posted 6@ 17--17.5 would be fine--but that 5 number had be worried

Just my .02

Offline john0185

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »
 Just a quesation from a novice. But dont the larger females produce most of the eggs? It seems to me the smaller ones are easier to catch. So most fisherman are going to keep what they can that will leave the bigger ones to breed. Now from what I see most of the fisherman last year weren't caughting their limit. That seem to get more than a few people a little pissed. Now if people can start going home with more fish won't that make more people happy and coming back? Just a thought.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Just a quesation from a novice. But dont the larger females produce most of the eggs? It seems to me the smaller ones are easier to catch. So most fisherman are going to keep what they can that will leave the bigger ones to breed. Now from what I see most of the fisherman last year weren't caughting their limit. That seem to get more than a few people a little pissed. Now if people can start going home with more fish won't that make more people happy and coming back? Just a thought.

First Welcome t^--Great people here t^
To answer your ???,s  Do a serch on here There is No answer--The way they figure regs. needs to be changed--

This is for everyone

Go and look how they figure the regs.

Short version
Ck at the dock
call people
Divide X 2
Then figure how many fish were caught

So what you have is

At the dock--limited out
phone calls no one caught
or vise veras

We just need a better way
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:45:23 PM by IKAT »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
i understand that the water temps are up which is good. But who knew we Nj was gonna be Fla this year? So next year when the winter goez back to normal you mean to tell me youll be fishing for skinny , spotty, finiky fluke in april :headscra :headscra: if so your better than me. Ill catch stripers till the end of may then switch to fluke when there bigger and more alive. I dont know how the fishing is from the  canal or anywhere south of the hook, but here where I fish the stripers are better option early spring.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
i understand that the water temps are up which is good. But who knew we Nj was gonna be Fla this year?

Anybody that stuck their head out the window knew weeks in advance that this was a warm winter.

So next year when the winter goez back to normal you mean to tell me youll be fishing for skinny , spotty, finiky fluke in april

No, we said fishermen in South NJ are the ones who want an April opener. Yes historically in the backbays the water warms up fast down south and doormats can be pulled from the mudflats there. Just look on a map, geographically speaking Southern NJ is much different than the North. Tons of mudflats, creeks, marshes....etc. The Southern guys swear that the best fishing on the year for them is the early season many times.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
i understand that the water temps are up which is good. But who knew we Nj was gonna be Fla this year?

Anybody that stuck their head out the window knew weeks in advance that this was a warm winter.

So next year when the winter goez back to normal you mean to tell me youll be fishing for skinny , spotty, finiky fluke in april

No, we said fishermen in South NJ are the ones who want an April opener. Yes historically in the backbays the water warms up fast down south and doormats can be pulled from the mudflats there. Just look on a map, geographically speaking Southern NJ is much different than the North. Tons of mudflats, creeks, marshes....etc. The Southern guys swear that the best fishing on the year for them is the early season many times.

YUP and I live in PA--But my Bud that lives in Mystic Is. and north-shares the same opinions--Wish we still had 3 areas in NJ NCS :-*

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:44 PM »
I'd like to thank Broken for his insight.  The government gave you 8 fish at 18 inches from Derby Day to October.  They gave it to you.  The Big Time Party Boats agreed and wanted Option Two.  Voyager, Jamaica to name a couple.  The RFA-NJ representatives wanted Option Five.  If you don't believe me, look at the other NJ site and read about it.  A person who attended the meeting gave some votes from those in attendance. 

So, if you are angry about Option Five and are a RFA-NJ member, you have something to think about. 

When SSFFF started a lot of us sent money, spent time, wrote letters and all kinds of stuff to get a better season and to keep our original eight fish bag.  We got it back.  Now, some folks gave it all away when once again, government was willing to give us 8 fish at 18 inches and a season from early May to October.  Like we used to have BTW before government got involved.  But some folks at the meeting, gave it all away.

I hope I am wrong, Captain Carl.  But if we look like NY in 2013........  I won't say I told you so. I just hope government says to you Captain Carl, "Hey, you were willing to take 5 at 17.5, you will agree with 2 at 20.5". 

Another thing.  I know 18 inches is a big fish. So is 17.5. But if a minor leaguer like me can catch them, I am sure some of you and your customers can.  Broken and his crew are very good. I read his posts. I fish on a party boat and fish with the best fluke fishermen in the state.  I learned from them.  Teach your children well........

The bottom line is, you do not give up three fish for a half an inch, when the government is giving it you and you turn it down.

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
I'd like to thank Broken for his insight.  The government gave you 8 fish at 18 inches from Derby Day to October.  They gave it to you.  The Big Time Party Boats agreed and wanted Option Two.  Voyager, Jamaica to name a couple.  The RFA-NJ representatives wanted Option Five.  If you don't believe me, look at the other NJ site and read about it.  A person who attended the meeting gave some votes from those in attendance.  

So, if you are angry about Option Five and are a RFA-NJ member, you have something to think about.  

When SSFFF started a lot of us sent money, spent time, wrote letters and all kinds of stuff to get a better season and to keep our original eight fish bag.  We got it back.  Now, some folks gave it all away when once again, government was willing to give us 8 fish at 18 inches and a season from early May to October.  Like we used to have BTW before government got involved.  But some folks at the meeting, gave it all away.

I hope I am wrong, Captain Carl.  But if we look like NY in 2013........  I won't say I told you so. I just hope government says to you Captain Carl, "Hey, you were willing to take 5 at 17.5, you will agree with 2 at 20.5".  

Another thing.  I know 18 inches is a big fish. So is 17.5. But if a minor leaguer like me can catch them, I am sure some of you and your customers can.  Broken and his crew are very good. I read his posts. I fish on a party boat and fish with the best fluke fishermen in the state.  I learned from them.  Teach your children well........

The bottom line is, you do not give up three fish for a half an inch, when the government is giving it you and you turn it down.

The RFA & RFA-NJ did not offer an opinion to any of the options that were given. If you were at the meeting, you would know that no one represented the RFA or RFA-NJ.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:01:26 PM by Hotrod »

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
Just keep this in mind.

No matter what way the regulations went there would be people who did not like the results. Seems like there was about a 50/50 split between those who wanted option 2 and those who wanted option 5. If option 2 was chosen then the people who wanted option 5 would be the ones sounding off about the result. Unfortunately, not everyone can win.

There is no blame to be placed on any one individual or group for the results. We all had an opportunity to express our opinion. But if you still insist on placing blame, then place it on those who did not attend the meeting and have their voice heard and not on those who voiced their opinion as to what they thought was the best option.

Yes, I realize that many people can not make meetings like this due to work, family matters and other obligations. Such is a fact of life. We all have our priorities with many priorities coming before our sport, rightly so. Perhaps in the future a change can be made in their method of deciding what the majority want. At this point we must all register with the state to fish. Maybe, just maybe, they can add a line to the registration asking for our vote on what we favor for the regs.  5hrug

Just for the record. I wanted option 2.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:06:01 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »
Just keep this in mind.

No matter what way the regulations went there would be people who did not like the results. Seems like there was about a 50/50 split between those who wanted option 2 and those who wanted option 5. If option 2 was chosen then the people who wanted option 5 would be the ones sounding off about the result. Unfortunately, not everyone can win.

There is no blame to be placed on anyone individual or group for the results. We all had an opportunity to express our opinion. But if you still insist on placing blame, then place it on those who did not attend the meeting and have their voice heard and not on those who voiced their opinion as to what they thought was the best option.

Yes, I realize that many people can not make meetings like this due to work, family matters and other obligations. Such is a fact of life. We all have our priorities with many priorities coming before our sport, rightly so. Perhaps in the future a change can be made in their method of deciding what the majority want. At this point we must all register with the state to fish. Maybe, just maybe, they can add a line to the registration asking for our vote on what we favor for the regs.  5hrug

Just for the record. I wanted option 2.

I wish they would do something like that. clp I also wish that you would see more enforcement on poaching and illegal harvest.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
IRISH--you got it--Woulda Shoulda Coulda---Well if that were the case indeed!!!Would be great for US/WE to have a say in the vote--BUT and I will Quote from my post on here in just got this--The Chief himself said "it is not a public vote with the option getting the most "votes" at the Council meeting being selected. "

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=26100.0

Maybe now that we have to register every year they could post a public comment or poll for what the people would want for regulations--and /or get a real idea of what all the fishermen really did catch--that would save a ton of money without going to docks and phone calls.

Nuff said--We got what we have this year lets enjoy it and work do do what we can for next.

NOW GO FISHING--Seems like Capt. Carl is the only one that did clp

OH YEA--saw NY gets 3 fish @ 20.5 this year

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:19:26 PM by IKAT »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-