Author Topic: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations  (Read 42690 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
Re: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
Ok...time for me to chime in....G.A.F. that was about the most far fetched comment i ever heard....the charter business does not survive on Fluke Fishing...its a Part of the overall picture...not the whole business.... Did all the Charter boats in New York go out of business  when they raised the Fluke size limit in New York? Hardly. I think the ridiculous price of gasoline will put fisherman out of business before a size limit will ...bit noone wants to talk about that.
We talk about losing 3 fish on the bag limit.....3 fish that very few ever caught to begin with......
The season length is about the same as last year...which everyone was happy as hell with.....now all of september isnt good enough all of a sudden?
For the last few years we all heard how much BS it was since the 18 inch limit was put into place.....now that its 17.5 thats all BS too?
We can all regulate ourselves if we want....17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!

you guys fight for the longer season and higher bag limits, then beg for lower sizes so customers can take something home... Well whats Capt Carl and the other boats gonna fish for next season when NO ONE wants to spend 600 +- dollars to keep what will eventually be 3 fish per man  ???  its the bigger picture more than the need now....

Tom,

You are right on the money. And you too IrishAyes. What a joke. Time is money and being on the water for as long as I can get keeps me and my mates "out of the unemployment" line. Does that make sense? Conservatively, this outcry cost me at least $15,000 dollars in lost charters for the month of October. That might not be a lot of money to some of you guys, but it's the difference between staying open and closing shop next year. Do you understand that?

Carl, you talk about fluke not being the only fish in NJ. Have you seen the crowds of people who fish the party boats when the fluke season opens......elbow to elbow. FLUKE IS THE PRIME NJ FISH whether you care to admit it or not. And I may add with the drastic decline of Striped Bass over the past 3 years (see the Muller video) who are you going to take out when next years fluke season is 3 fish at 20". One more thing....you talk about NY charter business....have you been to Sheepshead Bay lately?

Remember, it's not total poundage, but number of fish taken (1,090,000) I believe was the number?

To the guys who fish Sandy Hook,,,,what are you gonna do when all the boats vacuum the area and in July all you're catching is 14 & 15" fish? Change the reg's to 2 @ 15".

If you get the feeling I'm pissed, you're damn right. It's my livehood we're talking about here guys.

Like I said before, time is money! Not only for me but for ALL the other charter guys, party boat guys, bait and tackle stores, hotels, marinas, restaurants and so on and so forth. All because a couple guys can't find 18" fish. Oh brother!

Thanks!

p.s. Please don't go slammin me for this post because I refuse to take this any further. I've said my piece and I'm done.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »
Honestly i agree i was pushing for option 4 for exactly the reasons you listed. Maybe i didnt limit out everyday or whatever but i didnt find it that hard to find 18" that i needed a half inch size reduction. They are out there. and some people say they are only in deep water what about the bay guys i call i call bull crap i caught more keepers this past season in the bay than i did in deep water to be honest just. Cant just hop on one drift get skunked and cry the blues... Just got to find em thats part of the fun  ;D

I really hope we dont end up like new york next year  fcp

Theres a guy at my marina a much better fisherman than me who went out every weekend with his son (age 6) and limited out almost trip most of his fish were easy 19"+ they are out there if he can do it anybody can
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline mikeyland

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
I don't mean to Pee anybody off but what would it matter that the size was dropped half inch and the limit to 5 people will not go a party boats to fish cause it's 3 less fish .I only fish the surf an fished 3 -4 times a week all last year from sandy hook to ibsp an caught several but only had 4 keepers all season.Between gas ,tolls ,bait,an one parking ticket I could have went to the store an bought fish already cleaned.I thought this was a sport an not I need to catch fish or my family will starve.maybe people will fish less cause of the price of gass an the toll hike will hurt at least for me it will which will keep me closer to home an fresh water fish more which is catch an release all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:22:32 AM by mikeyland »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
Ok...time for me to chime in....G.A.F. that was about the most far fetched comment i ever heard....the charter business does not survive on Fluke Fishing...its a Part of the overall picture...not the whole business.... Did all the Charter boats in New York go out of business  when they raised the Fluke size limit in New York? Hardly. I think the ridiculous price of gasoline will put fisherman out of business before a size limit will ...bit noone wants to talk about that.
We talk about losing 3 fish on the bag limit.....3 fish that very few ever caught to begin with......
The season length is about the same as last year...which everyone was happy as hell with.....now all of september isnt good enough all of a sudden?
For the last few years we all heard how much BS it was since the 18 inch limit was put into place.....now that its 17.5 thats all BS too?
We can all regulate ourselves if we want....17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!

you guys fight for the longer season and higher bag limits, then beg for lower sizes so customers can take something home... Well whats Capt Carl and the other boats gonna fish for next season when NO ONE wants to spend 600 +- dollars to keep what will eventually be 3 fish per man  ???  its the bigger picture more than the need now....

Tom,

You are right on the money. And you too IrishAyes. What a joke. Time is money and being on the water for as long as I can get keeps me and my mates "out of the unemployment" line. Does that make sense? Conservatively, this outcry cost me at least $15,000 dollars in lost charters for the month of October. That might not be a lot of money to some of you guys, but it's the difference between staying open and closing shop next year. Do you understand that?

Carl, you talk about fluke not being the only fish in NJ. Have you seen the crowds of people who fish the party boats when the fluke season opens......elbow to elbow. FLUKE IS THE PRIME NJ FISH whether you care to admit it or not. And I may add with the drastic decline of Striped Bass over the past 3 years (see the Muller video) who are you going to take out when next years fluke season is 3 fish at 20". One more thing....you talk about NY charter business....have you been to Sheepshead Bay lately?

Remember, it's not total poundage, but number of fish taken (1,090,000) I believe was the number?

To the guys who fish Sandy Hook,,,,what are you gonna do when all the boats vacuum the area and in July all you're catching is 14 & 15" fish? Change the reg's to 2 @ 15".

If you get the feeling I'm pissed, you're damn right. It's my livehood we're talking about here guys.

Like I said before, time is money! Not only for me but for ALL the other charter guys, party boat guys, bait and tackle stores, hotels, marinas, restaurants and so on and so forth. All because a couple guys can't find 18" fish. Oh brother!

Thanks!

p.s. Please don't go slammin me for this post because I refuse to take this any further. I've said my piece and I'm done.

And you are welcome to post as you feel. Without any personal backlash from anyone t^ Everyone has different opinions on this topic.. so let them be said t^

Offline twoforhooking

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »
It's all about the head boats. People are tired of spending $50-$70 & comming home w/ nothing. I fish out of Great Kills so I'm use to searching for the big ones.
"Jon"

Offline Brewdaddy

• First Blue on the Irish Ayes !!
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
woo hoo striper!!!....im not drifting for fluke!  Tuna hear I come in October with Kenny's beer!!!  Thats my two cents! chrz chrz
One more beer might get them to bite!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-