Author Topic: storing your fluke rigs  (Read 5770 times)

Offline DJ76

storing your fluke rigs
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
okay, fluke season is just around the corner.  I'm curious what everyone stores there fluke tackle in?

I use a plano plastic storage bin for my bucktails, another for my soft baits, one for weights/beads/ spinners/skirts, and a small tackle box for additional line, knives, etc.

My problem is how to store my rigs i made up??? I presently loop them around my hand and "twist" the ends around the loop and store it in the tackle box...but this is getting out of control and tuff to find a particular one I'm looking for.  Any suggestions for me on how to organize my already done fluke gear?
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: storing your fluke rigs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Ziploc sandwich bags or similar bag. You can write and categorize them with a sharpie marker and store them in a glad food storage container.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
Ziploc sandwich bags or similar bag. You can write and categorize them with a sharpie marker and store them in a glad food storage container.

Good thought.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »
I use a piece of pvc and a rubber band put the hook over the edge and the rubber band around the line. if the leader is long i put it through the pvc then secure it with the rubber band
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline john0185

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
  I use pieces of them foam tubes you get for the kids to play with in the pool. Just wrap the line around it till you get to the hook and sink it in the foam. they're cheep, last forever, can cut them to any length and they float.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
Tie as ya go.  Even if you lose a rig, it only takes a minute to tie up another one and get back into the action.

If you do tie a bunch, loop in your hand and secure with a bread bag tie.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
Tie as ya go.  Even if you lose a rig, it only takes a minute to tie up another one and get back into the action.

[/quot

you can tie as you go but it sure is a pita whens its rockin
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
I use the foam rubber tubes too.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tackle+buddy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18124068682588695644&sa=X&ei=lr9ST4y6O-Kx0QHm7b32DQ&ved=0CKABEPMCMAM

Like these too. Ends come off so you can store some small hardware inside of them.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
i love the pvc pipe/foam pipe ideas. clp  thats along the lines of what I'm looking for.  I can cut the size and throw them in the tackle box when not in use and leave them out on shelf of the boat when needed...i especially like the foam as it'll float if accidentally dropped into the water..idiot proof, which is exactly how i need it!!! t^

FYI, I hate retying on my boat as well. Its easy and its fast but when i'm in the bay in my little 14' alum boat i get some serious rockin goin and sometimes makes tuff for tying the hooks and if the drift is especially fast i'm all out of position by the time i'm ready to go
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Tackle binders, like the ones made by Tackle Logic, Shimano and Field & Stream work well for organizing rigs also. t^
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:34:06 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »

I'm with Duff I have tried the baggie thing but by the time I get the rig untwisted I can have one tied. I carry my spinners, clevises, beads,Squid skirts, etc. in a plano and tie as I go.  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
More than one way to skin a cat Choose yours.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
More than one way to skin a cat Choose yours.

A metal lathe seems to work well.  >:D

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-