Author Topic: Fisherman Trespasses On Land Near Oyster Creek Plant  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Fisherman Trespasses On Land Near Oyster Creek Plant
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:34 AM »
FYI, if you're planning to fish Oyster Creek make sure you stay east of the Rt. 9 bridge.  Anything west of there (including the old railroad bridge) is verboten! fcp

Fisherman Trespasses On Land Near Oyster Creek Plant, Police Say

Man asked to leave by security detail    

Lacey Patch  March 3, 2012
By Shawn Smith

A man illegally entered private property near the Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station on Saturday, passing a posted "No Trespassing" sign, police said.

Oyster Creek's security detail and Lacey Township Police responded to the incident, which the plant said posed no threat to the plant.

The incident happened during an anti-nuclear-power peace walk outside the plant on Saturday. About 25 people participated in the demonstration.

Plant spokeswoman Suzanne D'Ambrosio said the fisherman was on private property, not the plant's protected area. Anything protected around the plant is completely secure, and is monitored constantly, she said.

"There is no way to enter the protected area of the plant by land, water or air." D'Ambrosio said.

Information regarding the man, and whether he faces trespassing charges, was unavailable at press time. Security guards confronted the man and directed him to leave.

Local fisherman David Morra said people often sneak into the area to go fishing.

"All you have to do is go under the bridge and walk through with waders," Morra said.

Janet Tauro from the New Jersey Environmental Federation and Grandmothers, Mothers and More for Energy Safety, said the incident shows how the plant needs to do more to protect itself.

"What if he was a terrorist with a rocket launcher instead of someone with a fishing pole?" Tauro said.

The plant does not condone anyone sneaking onto private property near the plant, but does believe that fishing and other uses of the waterway can be conducted in a constructive manner.

"We encourage our fisherman to use our waterways, where it is public property," D'Ambrosio said.

http://lacey.patch.com/articles/fisherman-trespasses-on-land-near-oyster-creek-plant

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fisherman Trespasses On Land Near Oyster Creek Plant
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:11:29 AM »
I always miss all the excitement around here!

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
But we are still allowed to walk the banks EAST of the bridge on the outflow creek?   :headscra:
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
As far as I know east of the bridge no one will bother you.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
 whs
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
"There is no way to enter the protected area of the plant by land, water or air." D'Ambrosio said."

Apparently that statement is incorrect since the man was caught tresspassing....  nosmly

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Fred, I think they meant, you can get onto their property, just not the protected areas.  (Reactor, cooling pond, important areas of the plant like that.)
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
Fred, I think they meant, you can get onto their property, just not the protected areas.  (Reactor, cooling pond, important areas of the plant like that.)

whs

But we are still allowed to walk the banks EAST of the bridge on the outflow creek?   :headscra:

You are allowed to fish the Northeast side.  The Southeast side is now marked with a "No Trespassing" sign.  However, there is hole cut in the fence, and I know people fish over there.  I don't know how strict they are about keeping fisherman off that side. 

I don't remember seeing that sign when I fished on that side a couple of years ago. Maybe it was there and I just didn't notice it.  But, I wasn't ever bothered by anyone.  Maybe as long as you stay down by the water? :headscra:

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-