Author Topic: 04/04 Excitement on Andy's Delight  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
04/04 Excitement on Andy's Delight
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »
Big Al met up with me for an evening of Striper fishing.  Left the dock with a decent breeze blowing, had some issues getting blown around the docks but got out to the spot pretty easily.  Found some marks and set the anchor and started cracking clams like madmen.  The marks were lighting up like crazy, to the point we could actually see the fish on the bottom investigating our chum.  Not one sniff of our bait though.  Sun went down and the wind died down along with the tide turning, thought for sure the bite was gonna come.

Still marking and all the sudden the wind picked up again.  And again, and again...to the point we were raising out voices just to talk.  Our lines got tangled and the waves were really starting to kick up with some serious wind at this point.  Decided it's time to call it a night.  That's where the fun really started.  Al jumps up to the bow, I power up to the anchor and it's dead stuck.  Waves and wind keep slapping us back and his hands are getting torn up trying to hold the rope.  We switch places and now I'm tugging while he's powering us up.  My hands were torn up now too and I finally remembered I had a pair of gloves onboard.  We try one more time and I was heaving like hell starting to take a couple over the bow and was about to cut the line and it budged with a giant clump of mud on it.  My back is gonna pay for this one.

Went back to the helm and wanted a breather only to realize we were getting sideways and pitching dangerously, so on the throttle and turned to head home in some serious slop.  Al spotted the 3 can and we headed directly towards it.  As we pass the 5 can Al lets out a holy crap, the can was literally bobbing completely underwater and bursting up out of the water.  Then we noticed they all were pretty much doing it.  Got thrown around all the way past Keyport Munical Ramp where waves were slamming into the bulkhead.  Made it back to the dock and thought to myself there was no way I was getting the boat in the slip with the wind and waves.  Gave it a go and felt the wind pushing us hard and almost out of control.  Threw it in hard reverse and I swear the hand of god came in and pushed us so perfectly in the slip it was a miracle.  Tied up, kissed the dock, and called it a night!

Al is really one of the coolest, most laid back people I've ever met and had the pleasure of fishing with.  I think tonight put to rest any doubts or questions he had in his mind about the capabilities and handling of a classic Wellcraft Marine vessel.   t^
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
Re: 04/04 Excitement on Andy's Delight
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »
 Nice job in those conditions...it can be un nerving at times and added stress in the dark...cool heads always prevail!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »
Glad you guys made it back safe!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BeN F

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »
Wow I was gonna wright a report today about our trip last night but you pretty much summed it up we had the same outcome. You sure we weren't together lol . The wind was terrible only bites we had was about 20 skate

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:32 AM »
eek.... fcp

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
Glad youpulled it offf and got back to the dock, have to know when to pull the plug  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:20:11 AM »
Glad to hear you are safe

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:43:13 AM »
Wow, nice job getting in safely with those conditions.

I just posted up ( before reading this) a video taken in 1938 of boats coming in the Manasquan Inlet under tuff conditions. Uncanning how it fits right in with this.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=26464.0
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
 nosmly is all i can say about the weather. t^ t^ Is all i can say about Mike operating the boat. cfzd is all i can say about the bouys under water. Thank you Mike for the trip and getting me home safe, I am now very happy a bout the way the wellcraft handled the slop
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
Wow, you guys had quite the adventure!  Glad you guys and the Andy's Delight made it home safe.  Look at this way, now you have a great tale to tell for many years to come  ;D
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »
Things can get bad  very fast . Good thing you guys were  not too far away.  You handled the situation well in you "WellCraft"   t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Glad everything worked out in the end. I hate when conditions suddenly change, forcing those "White Knuckle" rides. It happens to everyone sooner or later.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »
 t^ t^ GLAD YOU GUYS MADE IT SAFE AND SOUND   t^ t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
Sounds like a pretty eventful trip.  Glad you fellas made it back in unscathed.  t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-