Author Topic: First criminal charges filed in 2010 BP spill  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
First criminal charges filed in 2010 BP spill
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
Finally!  Let this be a lesson in what will, hopefully, be a long series of lessons for those who aspire to be stooges for the big oil companies.

From the article:
"If convicted, Mix, a resident of Katy, Texas, faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for each of the two criminal counts against him, the Justice Department said."

clp

Engineer first to face criminal charges in 2010 BP spill

By Miguel Llanos, msnbc.com

The first criminal charges in the 2010 BP gulf spill were filed on Tuesday against a former BP engineer accused of intentionally deleting hundreds of text messages about the size of the spill.

Kurt Mix, 50, was arrested earlier Tuesday and was set to appear in federal court in Houston, Texas, later in the day on two charges of obstruction of justice.

"The department has filed initial charges in its investigation into the Deepwater Horizon disaster against an individual for allegedly deleting records relating to the amount of oil flowing from the Macondo well after the explosion," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.

"The Deepwater Horizon Task Force is continuing its investigation into the explosion and will hold accountable those who violated the law in connection with the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history," he added.

In the complaint, Mix is accused of deleting text messages on two occasions "after being repeatedly informed of his obligation to maintain such records." Most of those messages were later retrieved, the Justice Department said.

In one thread, Mix allegedly deleted a string of some 200 messages that had to do with a process dubbed "Top Kill" that was aimed at stopping the spill.

"Too much flowrate -- over 15,000" barrels of oil per day, Mix allegedly said in one text.

"At the time," the Justice Department noted, "BP’s public estimate of the flow rate was 5,000 BOPD -- three times lower than the minimum flow rate indicated in Mix’s text."

Moreover, BP "continued publicly to state that Top Kill was broadly proceeding according to plan," the complaint says.

"Before Top Kill commenced," the department added, "Mix and other engineers had concluded internally that Top Kill was unlikely to succeed if the flow rate was greater than 15,000 barrels of oil per day."

If convicted, Mix, a resident of Katy, Texas, faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for each of the two criminal counts against him, the Justice Department said.

Lawsuits have been filed seeking financial compensation from BP, and the oil giant has reached a tentative $7.8 billion settlement with thousands of individuals and businesses.

In addition, the U.S. government is expected to seek billions of dollars in environmental fines.

But Tuesday's charges were the first against an individual in the blast that killed 11 workers and spilled 200 million gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico.

Mix resigned from BP a few months ago, the Justice Department stated.

Link to article and related videos

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Re: First criminal charges filed in 2010 BP spill
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
 clp
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
 clp  Someone has to send a message that these corporations are going to be held liable for reckless actions. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
 :headscra:  Sounds like they took a long time to find a "SCAPEGOAT"

1 person--is this REAL  5hrug 5hrug

What happened to our friendly NOAA REP. that shredded the info   5hrug
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:12:54 PM by IKAT »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
IKAT,

The word first implies there will be others.

This statement also implies there will be others.  "The Deepwater Horizon Task Force is continuing its investigation into the explosion and will hold accountable those who violated the law in connection with the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history."

It took almost two years for these charges to be brought.  I suppose we will just have to be patient, as sometimes justice is not always swift. t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
IKAT, we are again thinking alike. Eric Holder is a joke as Attorney General. Wouldn't do anything about the New Black Panthers intimidating Philly voters. Another missteps for him.

Now he goes after the little man at BP and I'll bet those in charge, who really have/had the ability to do something to PREVENT the disaster in the first place will continue living their lavish life. What a freaking joke this country has become.  nosmly
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
IKAT,

The word first implies there will be others.

This statement also implies there will be others.  "The Deepwater Horizon Task Force is continuing its investigation into the explosion and will hold accountable those who violated the law in connection with the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history."

It took almost two years for these charges to be brought.  I suppose we will just have to be patient, as sometimes justice is not always swift. t^

Yes Bob--I am with you on this I should have stateded the QUOTE-- With (individual) in it

"But Tuesday's charges were the first against an individual in the blast that killed 11 workers and spilled 200 million gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico."

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
IKAT, we are again thinking alike. Eric Holder is a joke as Attorney General. Wouldn't do anything about the New Black Panthers intimidating Philly voters. Another missteps for him.

Now he goes after the little man at BP and I'll bet those in charge, who really have/had the ability to do something to PREVENT the disaster in the first place will continue living their lavish life. What a freaking joke this country has become.  nosmly

slt  Must have something to do with us being the same age   slt

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Joe,

Seriously?  The new Black Panther Party?  A couple of scumbags in matching hats should not be allowed to call themselves a party. ;D

Anyway, here is the outcome of the case you referred to.

"The Obama Justice Department did not improperly let politics or the race of the defendants affect the handling of a high-profile civil voter intimidation case against members of the New Black Panther Party, a probe by DOJ’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) concluded after an extensive investigation.

Justice Department attorneys “did not commit professional misconduct or exercise poor judgment, but rather acted appropriately, in the exercise of their supervisory duties in connection with the dismissal of the three defendants in the NBPP case,” the head of OPR wrote in a letter to Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) obtained by TPM.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/justice_dept_ethics_office_no_evidence_that_politics_race_influenced_new_black_panther_party_case.php

Naturally FOX News, would spin this story anyway they can in order to promote their agenda.

However,

Getting back to the point.  Isn't it a good thing that people are finally being held accountable for this tragedy?  Yes, it is only one, so far.  Hopefully, it is the tip of the iceberg.  Personally, I would not feel bad for this "little man". 

And I agree with you that most of the higher ups will, unfortunately, probably, go free.  But that's the way it's been for a long, long time.  Hasn't it?  Wealth is power.  The rich rule.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »
 clp
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
Joe,

Seriously?  The new Black Panther Party?  A couple of scumbags in matching hats should not be allowed to call themselves a party. ;D

Well then what do we call it when 12 njswf guys in hats will be on the Bingo friday ???
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
Joe,

Seriously?  The new Black Panther Party?  A couple of scumbags in matching hats should not be allowed to call themselves a party. ;D

Well then what do we call it when 12 njswf guys in hats will be on the Bingo friday ???

AYE--   o-69-BINGO YOU WIN   rofla
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:08:05 PM by IKAT »

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
True story:

years ago when I was still a teen, my dad, my godfather, and a buddy of their's went on a fishing trip on some lake in upstate NY.  After a couple hours we were sitting in a quiet spot bait fishing and my godfather and his friend got to talking about politics.  They were arguing on and on, and I was interjecting with my youthfully oblivious comments as well and it was starting to get heated.  I noticed my dad was just sitting quietly staring out at his line and not saying a word.  I finally blurted over to him asking what he thought and he just sighed, scrunched his forehead a bit, and in a very fed up disgusted voice he said "you know just about the only thing capable of busting up the bond between fishing buddies is a conversation on politics".  At the time I thought it was a cop out but today I get it. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Andy's Delight  slt  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
I agree Mike. t^

I would also add that only a few years ago stuff like this was not even considered controversial.  A guy that had a hand in a cover up in one of the worst, if not the worst, oil spills in our history is finally going to have to answer for what he did.

That used to be a good thing. 5hrug

Nowadays, there is such an air of hostility and deliberate misinformation in the media that everything becomes divisive depending upon which side of the aisle you are on. It's a shame. nosmly

That would definitely be a party! clp  Wish I could have made that day work out.  Good luck! t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
yeah i was hoping to finaly get to fish with you. next time TT^

Offline JeffL

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
 clp
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
yeah i was hoping to finaly get to fish with you. next time TT^

Definitely Al! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-