Author Topic: Monica Oswald's Big Mistake ... and Nothing More!  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Monica Oswald's Big Mistake ... and Nothing More!
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
Hi All,

In a great piece written by Karen Wall in Friday's Asbury Park Press (Section C - Sports NOT Hook, Line and Sinker), it turns out that Monica Oswald will probably get recognized for her achievement as NJ State and IGFA World Record holder.

However, the road to certification may be more complicated and the so-called "Court of Public Opinion" will have enough fuel to clamor for an asterisk next to the catch.

In short, Karen Wall interviewed Monica at least twice. She confirmed the following:

1. The fish was damaged as an animal (presumed to be a raccoon) ate part of the catch. The remaining part, less the head, was inspected by New Jersey Conservation Officer Clint Davis. It appears he even helped her relocate the fish.

2. It appears, without reading his report, that he concluded the fish was fresh as the gills in the picture were red and there were no sunken eyes.

3. There was NO indication it was dragged as the belly was white and had no significant blotches that would indicate bruising consistant with having been caught in a dragger's net.

4. The Fisherman magazine is requesting a preemptive polygraph as part of the standard rules of their Dream Boat contest.

5. She was submitted the paperwork for the NJ State, IGFA World and The Fisherman Dreamboat Contest.

6. Oh yeah, the head. The head was damaged at Scott's Bait and Tackle in front of others.

7. NO Commercial fisherman in her family. Her husband works as a Pressman at the Asbury Park Press for the last 20 years; she has No cousins; and her brother is a diesel mechanic in Marlboro.

So, whatever the outcome, there will always be enough fuel for the skeptics and believers alike.

I guess it is like anything else. You have to look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and judge yourself and if you are a believer in God, have your God judge you. Nothing else will matter.

Congrats Monica ... I hope all goes well with the polygraph and we can put this series of misfortunate events behind you. I have done things I wish I could have back also. But, so is life.

This is a perfect situation for the Internet Age ... something that can be debated ad infinitum!

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:32:43 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Sam3

Re: Monica Oswald's Big Mistake ... and Nothing More
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
A polygraph?

Seriously??

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »
That is for The Fisherman magazine Dream Boat contest.  They request/require? any one who enters multiple big catches to submit to a polygraph.

Congratulations to Monica.  Let's hope this puts to rest all the rumors that are floating around out there. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Hi Sam,

I also forgot ... NO COmmercial fisherman in her family.

1. Husband works as a Pressman at the Asbury Park Press for the last 20 years.

2. No cousins.

3. Brother is a diesel mechanic in Marlboro.

It says in the 6th paragraph from the bottom that The Fisherman "owe it to their reader." She repsonded that it is in the rules. I am simply guessing that she will take it.

If you live in the Pt. Pleasant area Sam3, feel free to stop by for a drink with us after the charter on August 31. I will PM you when plans firm.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »
I agree... This is not a perfect world and we are spinning at a whole new speed. Sh#T does happen, especially when you need it to happen at the least. Good luck and Congratulations on your world record catch no matter the out come, you still hold the biggest doormat. Until this upcoming trip on 8/31 Capt. Joe is gonna take it, we will have it on video for all the sceptics. LOL, I hope that this humor does not offend any body, all in good fun.

Capt.
Mike

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:19:32 PM »
Hi Capt. Mike,

Agreed!

At least the personal attacks should stop NOW.

Amazing what a bit of fact can do ...

Ed

Offline mad8713

Re: Monica Oswald's Big Mistake ... and Nothing More!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
From todays press

The Fisherman, said the magazine will request a preemptive polygraph from Oswald, rather than waiting to see if her name is pulled for the boat.

This will tell all
50 Ton master
Hi Mar Member

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »
oh well
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Ruger314

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
Still,  how do you leave atrophy fish outside?? Well. at least for now the drama is ended..

Congrats., but with skeptism.. take better care of the your catches!! you owe to the sport!

And if that is hhow Scotts helps with trophy fish!! Wow.. sloppy!!

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
time will tee ,ed TT^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »
Personally, I would have preserved to have it mounted/displayed somewhere. 

After the fish was checked etc, there would be no need to keep.  The catcher could then do with it what they what.  Hopefully that would be eat or mount. 

Offline HookAFattie

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »
Hi All,

In a great piece written by Karen Wall in Friday's Asbury Park Press (Section C - Sports NOT Hook, Line and Sinker), it turns out that Monica Oswald will probably get recognized for her achievement as NJ State and IGFA World Record holder.

However, the road to certification may be more complicated and the so-called "Court of Public Opinion" will have enough fuel to clamor for an asterisk next to the catch.

In short, Karen Wall interviewed Monica at least twice. She confirmed the following:

1. The fish was damaged as an animal (presumed to be a raccoon) ate part of the catch. The remaining part, less the head, was inspected by New Jersey Conservation Officer Clint Davis. It appears he even helped her relocate the fish.

2. It appears, without reading his report, that he concluded the fish was fresh as the gills in the picture were red and there were no sunken eyes.

3. There was NO indication it was dragged as the belly was white and had no significant blotches that would indicate bruising consistant with having been caught in a dragger's net.

4. The Fisherman magazine is requesting a preemptive polygraph as part of the standard rules of their Dream Boat contest.

5. She was submitted the paperwork for the NJ State, IGFA World and The Fisherman Dreamboat Contest.

6. Oh yeah, the head. The head was damaged at Scott's Bait and Tackle in front of others.

7. NO Commercial fisherman in her family. Her husband works as a Pressman at the Asbury Park Press for the last 20 years; she has No cousins; and her brother is a diesel mechanic in Marlboro.

So, whatever the outcome, there will always be enough fuel for the skeptics and believers alike.

I guess it is like anything else. You have to look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and judge yourself and if you are a believer in God, have your God judge you. Nothing else will matter.

Congrats Monica ... I hope all goes well with the polygraph and we can put this series of misfortunate events behind you. I have done things I wish I could have back also. But, so is life.

This is a perfect situation for the Internet Age ... something that can be debated ad infinitum!

Capt. Ed

To me, this article doesn't really give me any more reason to believe or not believe.  Still a lot of hear-say and certainly plenty of room for doubt.  In the article it mentions her avoiding a question about the fishes eyes and if I am reading correctly when she asked her again she answered something about 'it was a tragic mistake to leave it out in the garage'.  Not exactly 'convincing' me. 

How come no one has tried talking to the 'netter'?  Or has he just refused to talk to anyone?  I'd like to see him given a polygraph test...if 'he' passed, then 'maybe' I'd be convinced.   :P

I am afraid that unfortunately, if it's true, we will never know for sure because there will always be people who are skeptical and there will always be some who say there is not enough 'proof'.  If it is a fraud, maybe we'll find out sometime if someone comes clean somewhere down the road. 

Either way, let this be a lesson to all.  If you catch a fish that might be a world record, please have your game plan ready and execute it correctly and don't f*%k it up by doing something stupid that you may regret for the rest of your life!

;)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »
Actually, the real lesson is if you do something great or well beyond ordinary, expect legions of jealous people to cast dispersions and doubts on your accomplishments. Be prepared to be ridiculed, defamed and publicly scorned by those with green eyes who only wish they had done it themselves!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
Actually, the real lesson is if you do something great or well beyond ordinary, expect legions of jealous people to cast dispersions and doubts on your accomplishments. Be prepared to be ridiculed, defamed and publicly scorned by those with green eyes who only wish they had done it themselves!
very, very true quote
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline HookAFattie

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

5hrug
That might be going a bit overboard.  There are enough loose ends and question marks surrounding this situation to spark some doubts, some of which were cast on her, by her.  I am not saying she is a liar, and I am not saying I believe, but one thing is for sure is that 'I' am not jealous.  Seems to me, catching a record fish is more trouble, stress and heartache than it might be worth.

Personally, I never have asprired, expected, nor desired catching a world record fish.  I enjoy fishing, first and foremost, and 'upping the ante' on my own personal bests is about the extent of my aspirations when I fish.  To go out, fish the best I can, make as few mistakes as possible and come back saying 'that was a good day' is fine by me.  So perhaps 'some' of the skeptics are not green with envy, maybe they are just realistic or less gullible by their nature than others out there.  

If this were her first real trophy fish I would bet there would be less skeptics.  Not that it's not possible, but the probability statistics are enormously stacked against it being real.  But,  odds and statistics are just that, odds and statistics.  If there are odds and/or probabilities of something happening, then it's 'possible'.    

It would be great if there were a way she could end the doubts once and for all.  

Someone catch a 25lber this weekend, handle it properly and then it won't matter.  Chances are that she did not catch 'the biggest fluke out there'.
 >:D

Ruger314

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
HookaFattie,

I agree ....to much of it does not make sense.. but I'm glad to see this topic slowly pan out..enough already.. I like the fact the guy on her boat still has not backed her!! She also answer the questions she was asked incompletely..

Let her have record.. it almost crushed Al McReynolds life!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »
Here is what Karen Walls has to say in her blog.  Karen Walls is the fishing editor of the APP newspaper.

http://karensfishingtails.blogspot.com/2007/08/of-truth-and-fish-stories-part-1.html

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
Hi All,

I guess I'm reading this differently ...

1. No commercial fisherman in her family!
2. No evidence of marks consistent with dragging on the fish!
3. No evidence it was dead for any long period of time!
4. And on and on and on

This is why I said it is a wet dream for Internet forums.

There will be no convincing a skeptic ... I choose to root for her!

I respect everyone's position ... if I catch a record fish, I will welcome the challenge of defending its integrity.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:33:48 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »
Hi Capt. Mike,

Agreed!

At least the personal attacks should stop NOW.

Amazing what a bit of fact can do ...

Ed
whs
'

Offline jarhead

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 07:22:17 AM »
There's always going to be questions about how and where the fish was caught.
I hope for Monicas sake and the sport that all goes well.

What I would like to know is, who was fishing with her and the name of the boat ?

It would be kind of difficult to net such a large fish on your own, not that it can't be done, but difficult.

Best of luck to Monica t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-